It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Osteoporosis Possibly Induced by Inflammation?

There is an article titled "Osteoporosis, Inflammation and Ageing " that is quite interesting and not too difficult of a read. The scientists who wrote the article find emerging evidence suggests that inflammation exerts significant influence on bone turnover, inducing osteoporosis. At a recent doctor's visit regarding my osteoporosis the doctor tested my C-reactive protein which is a marker of inflammation. Also she commented that sclerostin ( as well as some stem cell work) may hold the clue to future breakthroughs in osteoporosis.In my research on the C reactive protein test , I arrived at the article listed above. For anyone so inclined this may be eye opening and may point to something that may help us considerably. Also if you go to the Univ of Washington bone physiology information referenced by DesertBloom there is information on sclerostin in the new treatment area.
I researched further and saw that there are in fact several recent books in which Inflammation is discussed and Osteoporosis is in the title. One of the books is The Inflammation Cure-How to Combat the Hidden Factor Behind Heart Disease, Arthritis.......Osteoporosis
the other is The Inflammation Cure-Simple Steps for Reversing Heart Disease, Arthritis.....Osteoporosis
both are by Meggs,William Joel. I ordered these books from the library so I will know more later. I saw other books as well on this topic when I was researching. I know also that Dr. Oz and Roizen also talk a great deal about inflammation and its negative effects.
Well, this could be something that we can work on now through lifestyle changes ,and perhaps in the future there may be something great to help us. Here's to HOPE and the RESEARCH to make it a reality!!

Last edited by osteoblast; 01-15-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Re: Osteoporosis Possibly Induced by Inflammation?

Hi Osteo: How are you?? Thanks so much for the reference... I've been wondering and reading for years what the connection is between arthritis, lupus, and other inflammatory disorders that are closely linked to osteoporosis. I know that arthritis, and lupus are secondary causes of osteo, but I never really understood how inflammation could cause increased bone turnover. There are the drugs that lupus/arthritis patients take, like prednisone, that can cause osteo, so I thought the connection might end there, but you're right there is another factor involved. Let us know what the books say.

I'll have to reread the cytokine connection at the Univ of WA, to see what you are referring to, which I'm about to do. I'm having more trouble with my eyes so I can't do a lot of reading or posting but at least I know where to look now-Merci

Get back to you when I've read it all!!!

P.S. There's a bunch of things I wanted to mention about bone turnover and hormones but it will have to wait for now. Stay tuned... In the meantime read the Remodeling link at the Univ of WA to understand how osteoblasts and osteoclasts work sequentially. The link has the "ASBMRed" acronym in it.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Re: Osteoporosis Possibly Induced by Inflammation?

DB-Sorry to hear about your eyes! I will look forward to what you have found on hormones . Regarding the osteoporosis induced by inflammation--this was not spoken of in the article as pertaining solely to people with conditions like RA, but others as well who are ageing which pretty well is going to cover everybody that I can think of at least sooner or later.
I will go the the UW info that you mentioned.Thanks for the heads up.
p.s.-in the first post I should have said sclerostin for the breakthrough not cytokines. The cytokines are mentioned in the inflammation article.

Last edited by osteoblast; 01-15-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Closed Thread