It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #31
(female)

Aleta145 HB User
Re: Desertbloom - Your Sleep Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBloom View Post
I also had surgery for a deviated septum, but it didn't solve this problem of not bein able to breathe.
I'm surprised the septoplasty didn't improve your breathing. It's something I've thought about doing myself, but if it isn't 100% effective, then maybe I'm gonna think twice about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBloom View Post
The jala neti must be the same thing I'm doing. Does your husband pour water and saline into his nostril? That's what a netti pot does. Your pour it up one nostril while you head is tipped to the side and it comes out the other nostril. I know this sounds weird, but it does help, it just doesn't completely open my nasal passage. My husband is gross and calls the netti pot, nasal douche-disgusting.
Yeah jala neti is the sanskrit term for nasal cleansing; sounds more classy than nasal douche, LOL! My husband uses an ear syringe instead of a neti pot. I make up his "nose juice" a quart at a time, and he pours a cupful into a small bowl and nukes it for a few seconds to warm it up. Then sucks it up into the ear bulb. By the way, the solution I use is 1 rounded teaspoon of kosher (sea) salt plus 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (Arm & Hammer) to a quart of water. I do it occasionally myself. Afterwards it feels like I've been swimming in the ocean, not an unpleasant sensation at all.

Oh, and about the ear plugs, you might try a different brand. I used to get the foam ones, but they did tend to fall out. Now I buy the Macs brand, kind of a tan-colored rubber. They tend to stay put.

I've wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts. You have a knack for research and for also for writing, and I appreciate all the thought you put into your posts. Keep it up!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Aleta: Thanks for the kind words about my posts!!! When I look at them I just about cry, bad spelling, grammar, sentence structure-my english professors would shoot me I always wanted to write, but I don't have IT.

I think I'm just lucky on the research, but I do enjoy it so that makes it interesting. It's like solving a mystery and I love a good mystery. When I was working that's all I did was research, but in the stuffy old law libraries.

I had my surgery back in the dark ages, so I would imagine the procedure has changed a lot by now. It is truly amazing how far medicine has advanced in the last 30 years. I remember when cod liver oil was the cure for everything, "oh mom I broke my foot, take some cod liver oil that'll fix you right up"-just kidding. My surgery was done in '75, when I was 21, so I would hope the things that didn't work for me have been fixed. I also had a lot of bleeding probs afterwards which didn't help things that much, and I had to keep the packing in way too long. They probably don't use that packing anymore-tubes and cotton packing stuck deep into you nasal passages.

I'm glad you gave me your recipe for the Jala Netti-sounds so glamorous-Jala Netti and in sand skrit as well It does feel like you just got out of the ocean... I've been trying to come up with an explanation of the sensation for my hubby, since I'm trying to talk him into doing it as well. So far I haven't had any luck but he suffers from the same probs, he just won't try anything new. Maybe if I call it nasal juice, ROFL, he'll try it. I use the packets that come with the neti pot, and they aren't cheap, and who knows what else they put in it. The only thing I notice is the salt taste. One problem I have with it is-every once in a while-it comes out my mouth, which it's not suppose to do. They say if this happens you aren't bending your neck far enough to the opposite side, so when I bend further it doesn't happen, but it hurts my neck since I'm having trouble with multiple discs in that area.

Thanks again to you and everyone else, and "I" enjoy reading your posts and everyone elses too, that's the best part of this board. I just hope we don't ever get too depressive here, even though there are plenty of things to be depressed about, it's just that I can't handle it when a board turns overly depressive, because I then have to leave it forever Even when life is really rough, you still have to keep laughing-at least for just a few minutes

I'll be thinking of you with my nasal juice tonight

Old 01-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

DesertBloom-I found a cd called "Healthy Sleep" by Andrew Weil and Rubin Naiman that I think may be of interest to you. The local library has it so I have put in a request, there is a bit of a waiting line so it may take a few weeks but I will let you know . I have always found it best to preview a product at the library- not always possible but it can save alot of money . From the product description it sounds like it may be quite helpful to me and perhaps to you as well.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #34
(female)

karin6167 HB User

Originally I wrote in about Strontium, but I couldn't help but notice the sleep problem someone was having. Over the years I have read that calcium could actually help in inducing sleep. I take a calcium pill at night before bed and then about 2:00 in the morning when I get up to go to the bathroom I take the strontium. For me it works with the sleep problems. Unless I am flying the next day and then I have to bring out the Ambien.
Karin

Old 02-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Karin: Thanks for the input. Your right about the calcium, since I believe it's the calcium in warm milk that helps you sleep, plus I used to take calcium for sleep and muscle cramps. Now I can't take any supplemental calcium because I'm hypercalcemic. I get some calcium from my diet but I don't take any extra. My drs are at a loss for the reason on this, so for now I'll just try to find another way to sleep. Thanks for the thoughts

Old 02-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #36
(female)

karin6167 HB User

Are you keeping the room on the cool side? Not getting excited by family conversations right before bed? Noise was bothering me so I tried ear plugs and that helped. The room wasn't dark enough (they say that helps also) so I wear a eye mask.
Karin

Closed Thread