It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #16
(female)

Rosaflor HB User
Re: Who is IV infusions of bisphosphonates?

Hi Taape---No, I didn't stay in bed but was taking life easy anyway, for a few days after the infusion. Had cleared my calendar, having read about the famous "flu-like synrome" which, it turns out, I never got, no fever or malaise. I did not get nausea and in fact had an excellent appetite through the whole thing. It's now been a week (tomorrow morning) since my infusion and I am back to regular exercise (swimming, walking a few miles, free weights, housework). I know that some of the bisphosphonates bad news can be very long-term so I guess we will all be waiting forever for the other shoe to drop but, for now, things look fine. I would choose Reclast again. My friend forgot to remain upright after taking her Fosamax, bent over to pick something up from the floor, and an hour later threw up blood. I'll take a backache any old time instead of that. Advil was a big help. Good luck to all.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Thanks Rosaflor,
The first Fosamax pill I took put my stomach and throat on fire, never again! I hope you don't have any other side effects and can just go about life making more bone. I hope your friend's stomach recovers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #18
(female)

Rosaflor HB User

Thanks for responding, taape. I feel as if my decision to take Reclast was kind of cold-blooded: after reading everything I could find online (there's a complete description of the research behind it) I figured that the worst thing that could happen would be if I developed atrial fibrillation, and that scared me less than having a broken back or hip, which I am at great risk of doing due to advanced osteoporosis. My husband has had severe heart arrhythmias since 1991 so what-all they can do for arrhythmias is not unfamiliar territory to me. In their bag of tricks they have medications, pacemaker, defibrillator, CRT, ablations and other surgical procedures, etc.. I put independent functioning right at the top of my list of priorities, and I figured that, in the worst-case scenario, with a pacemaker or whatever I could still make it to the grocery store, pharmacy, post office, doctor's appointment, but with a broken back, it's not so certain that I could even get out of my apartment. At the same time I feel astonished that I so easy accepted a drug that has been approved for clinical use only since 2000 since my husband is a quite conservative pharmacologist who always hovers and says, "Don't take that yet---we don't have much longitudinal data" (one example is hormone replacement therapy, about which he turned out to be right on the money). But at 74 I am beginning to get the point that we older folks can't avoid ALL trouble but maybe sometimes we can choose our trouble. At least, I hope things work that way.....We do what we can to inform ourselves and make the smart decision, but, at some point, accepting any treatment becomes an exercise in trust.

Closed Thread