It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 03:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
What can cause Vitamin D levels to drop?

The first time I took a large dose of Vitamin D, my levels went from 30 to 65. My doctor then had me taking 800ui and I was retested 6 months later. In that time, my levels dropped down to 31.5. What causes the body to not retain Vitamin D levels.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:33 AM   #2
(female)

Turquoise HB User
Re: What can cause Vitamin D levels to drop?

This is just a theory but if you might be naturally deficient in vitamin D. If so, your dr. might have to adjust your weekly dosage to a higher amount for a longer period of time. My endo prescribed the 50000 mg dose once a week. I started out at about 18 and, after 2 years, am finally up to 58. She checks it twice a year. At one point she was going to put me on a lower daily dose but since this has worked so well she decided against it. I don't know at what point she will reduce it to see if it stays up.

The dosing of Vitamin D is a very new concept. It's just within the last couple of years that the importance of Vitamin D has been noted. We are human lab rats when it comes to how much and how long. What they have found out is that too much vitamin D is not as bad as they once thought. But some Dr. still have that in their minds and are reticent to Rx. a high dose for a long period.
Turquoise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
(female)

osteogirl HB User
Unhappy Re: What can cause Vitamin D levels to drop?

Hi Turquoise,

I am new to this site, and am enjoying reading through it. I recently moved from a diagnosis of osterpenia to osteoporosis in my spine. My hip readings were fine. I was just put on Boniva, and the 50000UI of Vitamin D. My questions is did you experience any side affects with your Vitamin D? I have not taken any yet, nor the Boniva.

I have been doing weight bearing exercises and stair climbing more than normal. I am really nervous about this calcium thing, because I have acid reflux and stomach issues. I just hope I will be able to take all these new medications, as I don't want to experience this back pain for the rest of my life.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Osteogirl,
I also have stomach issues and the Calcium citrate with Vitamin D doesn't bother me at all but it's not the dosage that you have been prescribed. On the other hand, I took one Fosamax pill and my stomach was on fire. So I'd be careful with taking the Boniva. Does your doctor know you hae stomach issues?

Old 02-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Tigger- Your body stores the vit d in fat tissue and uses it. Your levels will decline if you are not taking in enough to cover what you are losing from your stores. Generally people living in the north will have a winter season decline because their stores are getting low and the fall, winter and early spring sun is not strong enough to allow the body to obtain and convert sun into vit d. Also as people age they cannot synthesize d from the sun as efficiently as when they were younger. It is good to get your levels checked in winter to be sure you are ok. So unfortunately you cannot just take a large dose and think you are covered. Your level will decline. The thing that you need to do is to figure out what it takes to maintain an adequate level for you both in the summer and in the winter. Most people will need to increase their dose in winter.I have learned all of this the hard way. Each person will have to find what level of supplementing gets them to their desired level. And, some people may have difficulties either with absorption or metabolism of vit d. You might want to look at some of our past vit d discussions on this board. A good place to find online vit d info is at The Vitamin D Council. Good luck!

Last edited by osteoblast; 02-14-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:34 AM   #6
(female)

Turquoise HB User

Osteogirl:
I did not have any side effects from the large dose of vitamin D. But we are all different. Good luck.

Turquoise

Old 02-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Hi Osteogirl! I am currently taking 50000 iu vitamin D once per week. I have actually experienced an increase in energy. No negative side-effects whatsoever. jrose

Old 02-16-2008, 05:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I live in the South actually, but with being inside an office building every day, even in the summer, it doesn't leave a lot of time to be in the sun. My dr. said she may want me to start taking 1000-1200ui of Vit. D daily or maybe 50,000ui once a month. I just had bloodwork taken yesterday, so I'll have to wait and see what the results are.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
(female)

ktnap HB User

What prompts the testing for Vitamin D? At my physical exams, I usually get a blood test but Vitamin D is not measured. I had my first bone scan last year and fall in the osteopenia range; thus, I've been reading this forum and notice a lot of people know their D levels.

Closed Thread