It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: how many people have actually broken bones?

Hi Everyone

I have broken my leg once and three bones in my right ankle.

Sincerely Nadine

Old 01-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #17
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User
Re: how many people have actually broken bones?

Hi Myth.....i am more and more in agreement with you and
go a long your line of thinking. I was on fosamax for four years becuase of no estrogen in my body after menopause and also am a dancer and have no fat. I have never fractured
or broken a bone and i am 63 and have danced since i was 5.
I needed a hip replacement because of osteoarthritis and repetitive motion injury to the hip. i opted for a hip resurface and it went successfully and my dexca scans were
off the chart -3.5 in the femur. I took myself off the fosamax
and am back dancing and use calcium, vitamin D magnesium
a zinc. The surgeon recommended that i stay on the fosamax
but i agree, and i think the surgeons do also....that this has
become a cash cow disease and these drugs have many
side effects down the line.

ELAINE....i read your post and i do fully believe there is two
areas that make up your bone structure...one is bone density and the other is bone integrity. Bone density is
very accurately read by the scans and it shows the density
but it does not show the quality or the size or the structure
which plays an intregal part in the makeup. You were a dancer? Do you still dance? If you danced for a long time you will find that your bones are strong and they have good integrity because you constantly were using them. Even
though i had my right hip resurfaced....the doc said when he went in he found the femur to be rock solid....maybe not
dense but solid....the surgery was very successful. You mentioned you had an eating disorder among other things
I was an alcoholic for many years and this obviously did not help nutritionally.....so way and read all of the facts Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2008, 05:35 AM   #18
(female)

Canna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
Canna:
Sorry to hear about your FX's. How did it happen? Did you fall? Was is a low impact Fracture? Hope this is the one and only you ever have.
Turquoise
I believe that it depends on how flexible your bones are and if you are doing the right things to promote bone flexibility such as exercising, calcium and other bone supplements plus eating properly your bones won't become brittle and break.
Turquoise you asked how mine happened.. well after I found out I had OP I went gung-ho and started jogging on threadmill and fractured but bear in mind I had no supplements added to my regime beforehand as my last bone denstiy was osteopenia and I had to literally insist to have this scan done. Now I am awaiting appt with Osteodoctor ... June is the earliest and he is the only one in my area Also I had a vitamin D defic which I did not know about ... so I agree most people will not break bones. But also the doctors have a lot to learn.. I have learned more on this board ...if you don't take your own health into your hands your bones will become brittle and break but if you do the right things they become flexible. Thats my opinion.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #19
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi Everyone Never had a fracture, did alot of snow angels with grandchildren in winter, gardening, walking etc. I bump into corners of the furniture, stub my toe, hit my crazy bone sometimes, so far so good. My last visit to my family doctor she told me in no certain terms that as we age "everything ages" and I mean everything, not just our bones. So........I am merrily typing on my computer feeling really blessed, my mind even though it is just like my bones aging, I don't have a dexa scan to prove whether it is dense or strong, I only have my common sense to prove it, I must be doing o.k. considering no one has told me otherwise so far. I do know I always mention the power of positive thinking, but the thing that is most important to me presently is that my mind stays positive and healthy, so that my bones and all of the good parts that were given to me at birth reap the benefits.
Whether we mention heart disease, cancer etc. some of us will always not be the lucky ones, "there but for the grace of God go I" I was unlucky in heart disease, I was unlucky in cancer, but I was lucky and fortunate to be given from my family's DNA, a wonderful positive outlook on everything. I am not a goody two shoe person, just a realist. Take care dear friends Blessings!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #20
(female)

silkvan HB User

The question, how many people have actually broken bones, intrigued me. So here goes. First of all, let me tell you that I am an 80-year old widow, one adopted son, was diagnosed with OP in 1995, at age 68, with all but one or two of OP risk factors. Fractures: broken ribs at age 35; wrists at 46, 53 and 68, a few months after diagnosis; sternum at 70; pelvis at 76; many, many vertebral fractures from age 68 to 73.

I have been a milk-drinker all my life, and I have always loved ice cream. It is true that I did not exercise as I should have. I taught in high schools and university and did quite a bit of walking as I did my work -- big schools and fairly large college campus, and I always taught standing up. Not enough, apparently. Among my mother and three sisters there were four broken hips,
several broken wrists, an ankle, a shoulder, two pelvises. Quite a history.

I have taken calcium since shortly after menopause. At the time he diagnosed OP, my doctor started me on estrogen, then progesterone, changed to Prempro when it became available. None of the bisphosphonates were out at the time of diagnosis. Later I used Miacalcin, Fosamax and Actonel at various times. Fosamax at 5 and 10 mg daily was a problem; I experienced nausea and occasional vomiting; Actonel was used between the 5 and 10 Fosamax and the 70 mg. once weekly Fosamax, which I have been using successfully with no side effects since it hit the market.

Loss of much height and excessive spinal posture are my biggest problems. No clothes fit properly; I said good-bye to skirts a couple of years ago.

My answer to the original question has to be: Yes, people do break bones.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #21
(female)

silkvan HB User

I meant to say <spinal curvature>.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I've never broken a bone and I've fallen several times on ice and on pavement falling off my bike. I have had teeth that cracked so I don't know if everyone is counting that in this.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #23
(female)

Myth HB User

thanks for the response everyone
I see some people do break bones however many do not even after spectaular falls .......you have to question why is this so since we have all been diagnosed with osteoporosis (brittle bones) thanks to BMD test.

BMD is NOT an accurate indicator of osteoporosis , hopefully one day they can come up with a better test and better treatment for those that need it
and for all the thin boned people out there you just dont know if you will break a bone in future or not and neither do the experts and I for one do not intend to use pharmacuetical drugs as some kind of insurance for possible future breaks . healthy lifestyle ,supplements,exercise is my insurance for good health.

live well
Myth

Old 01-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #24
(female)

Turquoise HB User

What we've also discovered is that the standard treatments for OP do not work as well as Big Pharma says they do. Why do some people improve on Fosamax, Forteo, Actonel etc and others do not see any improvement.

There are a lot more studies that need to be done regarding bone strength and "brittle bones". By documenting our struggles with OP here, we can, at the very least, pass on to another what has worked for us. There is strength in numbers. Love live this board!!!!

Turquoise

Old 01-29-2008, 07:29 AM   #25
(male)

PikaB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
...Why do some people improve on Fosamax, Forteo, Actonel etc and others do not see any improvement...
The results from clinical studies reflect the average improvement. Some people are losing bone so rapidly that the drugs can only slow the rate of loss.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #26
(female)

sierrawalker HB User

Thankfully none connected to osteoporosis, only sports injuries.

This last summer/fall I helped carry my 55 lb kayak lots of times without problems. First Dexa scan just showed a T-score is -4.5 on my back. Of course then, I had no idea, now I wonder.

My mom had compressed fractures before she knew what had osteoporosis.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #27
(female)

SheriLynn34 HB User
Smile Re: how many people have actually broken bones?

I'm 33, have a VERY small frame, have scores around -2.4 and have never had a break, except from a dog attack last year. And trust me... that dog had some STRONG jaws! It was a small fracture (ulner styloid chipped off in my wrist). Honestly, I was surprised he didn't do more damage!
I haven't gone on medication yet, (except for Ca and D) but the doctor does want me to start on it soon. I haven't decided if I'm going to do it or not! It's a tough decision!!
Good luck to everyone, and thanks for all of your good advice so far! This is a great group to chat with!!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:56 AM   #28
(female)

Rosaflor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth View Post
looking for answers here , as we all are but maybe we are asking the wrong questions....here is some info from an endocrinologist

'the BMD test is a crude way of measuring bone density,it is at best a guide only and does not measure bone quality'.....

which means it is normal for bones to thin as we age but that does not equate to brittle bones ....... because the BMD test says your bones are thin therefore you must have osteoporosis therefore you must be medicated because they have stats to say you will break a bone...........this information comes from pharmacuetical companies adept at fueling the sickness industry.
and some people have allowed their 'condition' to rule their lives
my question is just how many people on this board have actually broken a bone??????? since being diagnosed with osteoporosis

Myth

Old 02-05-2008, 05:01 AM   #29
(female)

Rosaflor HB User

This is anecdotal second-hand evidence, but my good friend, age 71, had a spontaneous fracture of her hip in December and then last week had a spontaneous fracture of her pelvis. Living alone and with no surviving family, she now finds her independent function very compromised. She can barely get around her apartment with a walker (can't get out at all) and is in constant pain. Her struggle now is to stay in her own place and not go to a care facility. To me this is what fighting osteoporosis is about: maintaining independent function.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Rosaflor: I agree with you completely. I've had spontaneous fx's, and I also have family members that had more than one fx apiece. I also have a neighbor who died from a blood clot due to inactivity from a fx'd hip. I've also talked to people around my town in labs, hospitals etc who had the same problem. One of those I spoke with fx'd her pelvis and both feet walking in her house. This lady also had cancer which contributed to the bone loss, and unfortunately can't take forteo due to radiation. She's finally back at work, but has to sit and do desk work, after years of rehab.

It's really hard to explain loss of independence to someone who hasn't personally experienced it. I wish I could say that I don't know what that's like but I do, since my life has changed dramatically since the first spinal fx. I hope no one ever has to go through this, but we all have to decide for ourselves what we'll do to prevent it. If you aren't in a high risk group for this you probably won't have this problem but for those of us who are, our independence is paramount. I found that having to rely on others for help is something I'm not good at. I have a really hard time if I can't do everything that I need for myself. Maybe that's a flaw in my character, but whatever it is, I find it almost paralyzing to ask someone to help me with the simple things I can't do.

Good luck to you, and let us know how the reclast goes... Even though I don't think I'll be using reclast, you never know what the future holds, so I would like to learn as much from you about this type of treatment. I hope you don't have any side effects and that it works to rebuild your bones so you can remain independent.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 02-05-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Closed Thread