It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
(female)

Margaret76 HB User
forgot to ask the other day..

I wrote the other day asking about forteo. After doing some more research I am wondering if there are any other breast cancer survivors out there that are taking this drug. I am taking tamoxifen every day and my doctor has said it was ok to take. Just wondering how others felt about taking forteo.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
(female)

Aleta145 HB User
Re: forgot to ask the other day..

It's my understanding that if you had radiation treatments, you are not considered a good candidate for Forteo.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Margaret: Sorry to hear about your cancer I hope you are much better now and it's behind you completely!!! When I went on Forteo, one of the first questions they asked was had I ever had cancer, and if so, did I have radiation admin to the bone. The dr said if I had radiation, I couldn't take it. You can read about this in the ccjm I post a lot on Forteo. It's covered under the para on "who shouldn't get Forteo."

Now if you didn't have radiation, that "might" be a reason you could take it, but to be sure I would get a second, third or fourth opinion on it. Once your bones have been irradiated, they are more susceptible to bone cancer when taking "this" drug.

Let me know if you can't find the link I'm talking about, I post it frequently. And if you haven't read it, you really should, if you are seriously considering taking Forteo. Did the dr say why he thought you could take it, or is it because you never had radiation?

Here it is just in case you need it:

[url]http://www.ccjm.org/pdffiles/DEAL703.PDF#search=%22forteo%20and%2 0osteosarcoma%22[/url]

It's on page 594 paragraph: "Who Shouldn't Get Forteo"

Maybe you could have your dr read it "if" there is some dispute about it.

Good Luck...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 01-29-2008 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added info

Old 01-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
(female)

Aleta145 HB User

Margaret, are you past menopause yet? If so, Evista might be a good choice for you. That's what I'm taking, for breast cancer (stage 1, lumpectomy+radiation, 1999) and osteoporosis. I had the five-year course of tamoxifen, and after that they wanted me to take aromatase inhibitors, but they're bad for the bones. My onc. ordered a baseline DXA and that's when we discovered I was -3.0 in the spine. He wanted to do IV Zometa to boost my bones before starting the aromatase inhibitors, but after doing my research I decided to go on the Evista instead.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
(female)

Margaret76 HB User

Yes- I am past menopause. I was also Stage 1, lumpectomy with radiation. My oncologist has said Evista wouldn't work for me because my other doctor wanted to put me on that. I am a little nervous cause they say not to take Forteo if you have had any radiation to the bones. My doctor checked with my oncologist and he said I could take that but I still wonder.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
(female)

Aleta145 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret76 View Post
My oncologist has said Evista wouldn't work for me
I'd be interested to know why he said that, because Evista is a SERM just like tamoxifen. If tamox was okay for you, why isn't Evista? Have you had DVT or other blood clot problems?
Quote:
My doctor checked with my oncologist and he said I could take [Forteo] but I still wonder.
You SHOULD wonder. You should ask your onc if he has read Forteo's maker Eli Lilly's statement that says:

"The drug should not be prescribed for patients at increased baseline risk for osteosarcoma, including patients with Paget's disease of bone or unexplained elevations of alkaline phosphatase, children or growing adults, or those who have had prior external beam or implant radiation therapy involving the skeleton."

That's us, honey. I just wouldn't risk it if I were you.

And by the way, my spine BMD has improved from -3.0 to -2.7 on Evista in the three years I've been taking it. I'm hoping my next DXA will push me up into the osteopenia range. If so, I think it's doing its job.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
(female)

Margaret76 HB User

Thank you. I have decided not to use the forteo because of having radiation. I am now in the process of researching the reclast IV.

Closed Thread