It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
PikaB-Weighted Vest

PikaB-Are you still using your makeshift weighted vest? I recall that you were putting ankle weights, on your shoulders. I was recently researching "weighted vest" and found several products, one linked to research on exercise with a weighted vest done at Oregon State University. The research was done by Christine M. Snow and if you look at the NIH-pub med there are a number of her articles. The research is very encouraging. A vest that I found interesting is called the XVest.I thought you might be interested in the vest and also the research. The research doesn't say what vest was used,but the x vest does look good.

Last edited by osteoblast; 01-29-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
(male)

PikaB HB User
Re: PikaB-Weighted Vest

Yes, I am still using the ankle weights on my shoulders (I particularly use it when standing on one foot, to give that benefit an extra boost). I've seen the the commercial weighted vests, and might get one some day if I get really desperate for results, but it seems to me that they might make me too "top heavy". And I have arthritis in my left shoulder, so I might have trouble getting the vest on and off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
(female)

ktnap HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaB View Post
Yes, I am still using the ankle weights on my shoulders (I particularly use it when standing on one foot, to give that benefit an extra boost). I've seen the the commercial weighted vests, and might get one some day if I get really desperate for results, but it seems to me that they might make me too "top heavy". And I have arthritis in my left shoulder, so I might have trouble getting the vest on and off.
I use a weighted vest every so often when I'm doing walking workout videos. The one I found was very reasonably priced at $25. I bought it at a local Target. Each weight is less than a pound and you can go up to 10 lbs. so it is possible to gradually increment the weight.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Ktnap-I understand that most of these vests have pockets/slots where you insert weighted pieces and that these pockets are located at different places like upper and lower front and back and perhaps the shoulders . Are there a number of slots in the vest and where do you put the weights? Do you have osteoporosis of the spine? What I am thinking about for us with osteoporosis of the spine is where would be the ideal place to be carrying the weight? I have seen a device at a clinic where the weight is held in place at the back in the lower part of the spine. There, the device was used for laying on the back and doing lifts of your upper torso- with keeping your neck in straight alingment with your face looking down. I would think the most important thing with the wearable vest is to keep the weight similarly placed and not to be bending forward. But, I haven't read anything about this and am trying to find out more information.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
(female)

ktnap HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
Ktnap-I understand that most of these vests have pockets/slots where you insert weighted pieces and that these pockets are located at different places like upper and lower front and back and perhaps the shoulders . Are there a number of slots in the vest and where do you put the weights? Do you have osteoporosis of the spine? What I am thinking about for us with osteoporosis of the spine is where would be the ideal place to be carrying the weight? I have seen a device at a clinic where the weight is held in place at the back in the lower part of the spine. There, the device was used for laying on the back and doing lifts of your upper torso- with keeping your neck in straight alingment with your face looking down. I would think the most important thing with the wearable vest is to keep the weight similarly placed and not to be bending forward. But, I haven't read anything about this and am trying to find out more information.

The vest I use has slits/slots in two rows on the front and back. You can insert as many weights as you wish to use at one time in the front and/or back. The front and back of the vest closes as tight as you want with velco straps. I currently use only 2 weights in the back and 2 in the front. I was wrong about the weight of each one, they are more like 1/2 lb., not a pound. I was not sure where to place them for safe/best use. I do have a bulging disc at L4 that causes me a good deal of pain some days but the vest/weights do not seem to impede that, although I have a tendency to not use the vest on "bad" days. I have never used the vest for outdoor walking, instead I have some "walking" videos I work out to.

I have osteopenia (t-scores in the spine = -1.1,-1.2,-1.8,-1.6) with hip t-scores = -2.3,-2.1, -1.5,-1.8), but am going to be 50 in April so I figured any weight would be good to start using at this later stage in my life with menopause around the corner. if you need a better description of the walking vest, I checked and it is still available at their storesite at a very reasonable price.

Last edited by ktnap; 02-04-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added information

Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Ktnap-Your numbers look great and you are so smart to be grabbing hold of this issue now!I am 55 and wish I could turn back just a few years before menopause robbed me of my BMD esp. in the spine! It is difficult for us as we age. I just did not want to do hrt-but I paid a big price in the bone area. While the hrt news has not gotten any better- maybe evista would have been a good idea. Anyway, thank your lucky stars that you know what is going on and that you can do something about it now.
Thank you so much for telling me about the vest. I looked at the storesite and I think I found it ,but it is no longer $25 but $28.79. If you don't mind would you let me know if that is what you have. It looks like there are 6 long vertical slots but they only show one side .I would guess the slots are on both sided from what you said. It shows a closure that closes in front.If this is same as yours, can you get the back to fit snugly by using the front closure? Do you think the vest would be wearable under clothing? Or, does it really just seems to be worn over your clothes. Have you worn this for about an hour, and if you have is it comfortable,does it bind/rub uncomfortably over any area. All in all , do you like it? It also said at the storesite that it is not available in stores but only by ordering. So, I am wondering with the price difference and that you said you bought yours in a store that yours might be different. I did like the general look of the vest though and the price seems reasonable .
I walk 8 miles , 5 days a week. I usually like to walk outdoors, but in the dreary winter, I use a treadmill. I usually split the walk in 2 or 3 segments. I was wondering what walking workout you are using and whether you like it alot?
Thanks for the very helpful information on the vest.

Last edited by osteoblast; 02-04-2008 at 08:40 PM.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:21 AM   #7
(female)

ktnap HB User

Osteoblast, Thank you for the encouragement, sometimes I feel that my numbers are bad especially when I think of all my risk factors.
I will do my best to answer your questions...

Thank you so much for telling me about the vest. I looked at the storesite and I think I found it ,but it is no longer $25 but $28.79. If you don't mind would you let me know if that is what you have. It looks like there are 6 long vertical slots but they only show one side .I would guess the slots are on both sided from what you said.
*yes, it is the same vest. there are slots in the front and the back, i actually picked it up for about $23 at the store so if you have one near you, you might try that.

It shows a closure that closes in front.If this is same as yours, can you get the back to fit snugly by using the front closure?
*yes, i can get it to fit quite snugly and I am a very small framed person (I weigh 98 pounds) and I don't wear a whole lot of clothes underneath since I exercise at home

Do you think the vest would be wearable under clothing? Or, does it really just seems to be worn over your clothes. Have you worn this for about an hour, and if you have is it comfortable,does it bind/rub uncomfortably over any area.
*i usually don't wear it for very long, not that it is uncomfortable (at all), just that I get very hot sometimes. it is very lightweight and not binding (there are no sides, you slip it on overhead). as long as the clothes you are wearing are quite large, you might be able to wear it under them. it would probably have to be a coat and one that doesn't fit snugly and it will look bulky I am sure.

All in all , do you like it? It also said at the storesite that it is not available in stores but only by ordering. So, I am wondering with the price difference and that you said you bought yours in a store that yours might be different. I did like the general look of the vest though and the price seems reasonable .
*yes, I am pleased with the vest. that's funny it says that about the store. Maybe I picked up the last one at my local store, it was the last one on the shelf. if you have any stores near you, you might try looking there. or, maybe someone will selling one at an online auction site...

I walk 8 miles , 5 days a week. I usually like to walk outdoors, but in the dreary winter, I use a treadmill. I usually split the walk in 2 or 3 segments. I was wondering what walking workout you are using and whether you like it alot?
*wow, i am very impressed by your 8 miles a day!! I usually don't do a lot of walking outside. it would be too hard for cardio and dangerous with the traffic and no sidewalks. I have a lot of leslie sansone walking videos, anywhere from 2 to 5 miles. if you can get past her chatter and corniness, some of them are very good for getting the heartrate up. my pain management doctor said no high impact so i basically just stick with the walking videos. i also have ondemand with my cable and have picked up a few walking videos, as well as strength building there. but some of the people are VERY young and VERY strong and do some moves that only further aggravate my back pain so I try to modify. sometimes it's hard though. i wish they would include more moderate exercises for those of us trying to age gracefully haha

Thanks for the very helpful information on the vest.
*you're very welcome, I hope you can find one.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Ktnp-Would you feel comfortable wearing the vest out in public, like on a walking trail? Does it look athletic? The picture which shows it in white gives it a sort of therapeutic look. I am going to look for the vest at the local target-despite the storesite saying it can only be found online-maybe I will be lucky as you were.
Thanks for the info on the walking videos, chatter and corniness-hmmm maybe not.

Last edited by osteoblast; 02-05-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #9
(female)

ktnap HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
Ktnp-Would you feel comfortable wearing the vest out in public, like on a walking trail? Does it look athletic? The picture which shows it in white gives it a sort of therapeutic look. I am going to look for the vest at the local target-despite the storesite saying it can only be found online-maybe I will be lucky as you were.
Thanks for the info on the walking videos, chatter and corniness-hmmm maybe not.
osteoblast, no I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it outside, but that's just me... I don't do much exercising outside or in public. I suppose it looks athletic, it does have a way to attach a water bottle for long walks (doesn't anything look athletic if you can attach a water bottle? LOL)

The one online is the same one, it's actually a very light gray, but it does look white in that picture (probably because of the reflective material). I originally saw it at another Target about 9 months ago. when I went to buy it about 3 months later, they didn't have it for sale anymore but I found it at another location. (I don't know about your area, but I can count at least six Targets in my immediate area so don't give up if you don't find it at one).

Old 02-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi osteoblast...I too have a collection of Leslie Sanson walking videos and enjoy doing them when i can't get outside. You can turn the sound down and listen to the radio or a cd, if you pay attention you can folow the workout and not have to listen to the chatter. I've also put them in the computer and watched tv while doing them. I know thats probably not the best thing to do, but it does work.

I don't have a weight vest, but putting a 5lb. weight in my daypack works pretty good. I just make sure its cinched good so its snug to the body. I do my walking in the fields across from our house or on the roads so how it looks doesn't really matter to me. Add that to the walking poles i sometime use and I'm quite a sight. take care...phyllis

Old 02-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Thanks for the ideas Phylwill! So what do you do with the Sanson videos? Is it like marching in place?What do you do with your arms?Certainly turning off the volume would resolve the difficulties noted by Sierrawalker.
Is the weight in the backpack an ankle weight or did you just use a handweight?I would think an ankle weight would work best because it would be soft and a harder weight could bang against your back.Did you start with the five pounds or something lighter?
You do have a few tricks up your sleeve don't you? I had no idea that your walks had these accessories. The one thing that I always wondered about use of the walking poles is that I thought they are used to reduce load on your spine, back , knees by redistributing weight to the poles- if so, then you wouldn't be carrying that load. Does that make sense, or am I missing something about use of poles?

Last edited by osteoblast; 02-05-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:36 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI osteoblast... the walking videos are more than walking in place. There are 4 basic steps...walking in place, knee lifts, side steps and forward kicks. All her tapes have those 4 moves in differnet orders. Some add jogging, light hand weights, or a resistance band, so they are the same but different. they aren't the same as walking outside, but do take the place of it nicely.

Your ankle weight idea is good..i hadn't thought of using those. i put either a 5lb. hand weight or a flat 5lb. one left from our son's barbell days. Both seem to work ok. I got to thinking...you could also use a hunting vest. The ones my husband has, has a pouch in the back that would hold the weight and since its already a vest it could be belted snuggly. I'll have to look for his and try that out. thanks for giving me something to think about..i like finding new uses for things we already have. I didn't think about the 5 lbs..i just grabbed it.

You've given me something else to think about...i never thought about reducing the impact when using the poles. I like them because they do take stress off the joints..you're still hitting the ground with each step and carring your body weight. The poles also keep your posture in the right postion, arms bent, shoulder slightly back, straight spine. And a big plus...they help burn more calories since your arms are involved in every step. there are pros and cons to everything. My walking buddy also uses them, They've really helped her achey knees.

I don't use tools everytime i walk, but they are here when i do. I like to keep it interesting by mixing it up. When i walk the country roads i do all kinds of things...march, big steps, lunges, walk backwards..have fun. When I walk in town i behave myself . Have a good day. take care...phyllis

Old 02-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Phylwill-Sounds like you do have fun mixing it up! Now you have given me some things to think about. The Sanson tapes sound good with the additional parts added in. I am going to check to see if the local library has anything by her. About the poles- a person with back problems told me she was advised to use the poles to lighten the load on her back. So that is why I always thought about the poles redistributing weight off the back and to the poles. But if you use the backpack (or hunting vest )then you have compensated for that effect of less weight being moved through you spine AND you have the more strenuous arm motion which I too have heard burns more calories. So all in all it looks like you have the situation covered You are pretty clever! Got any other interesting ideas for exercise ?
Something I found recently is the BEST exercise program done at Univ of Ariz. in a very academic manner to see what could be accomplished with exercise and bmd. If you go to Citracal you will find it . Be sure to look at the whole program--it includes
Strenght Training
Small muscle group
balance and sitting
abdominals
cardio weight bearing
I think they thought of everything!! You can get a book on the program through the university. I am going to order it tonight!!!I am sort of excited about it
Anyway, they make use of I think 5 machines- so it would be good to have access to a gym. But there are other exercises like squats against a wall with a therapy ball that look good- I tried them last night and they will be very good I think.
There are some NO DO's for me and my spine that involve bending over - but not really so many things that cannot be done- far more that can be new things added to my routine.
When you go to Citracal you will see that they also have videos on various moves- it is a great teaching mechanism. There may actually be enough there to not need a book but I would like to do the routine in another room than where I have the computer. When I checked the book is a bit pricey $30 something ( be sure if interested to get it through the university it was cheaper there) Also at some places the book is more like $100 because it includes an exam for phys therapists for continuing ed.
Do you have one of those large exercise balls. My phys. ther. recommends doing some of the weight lifting on the ball- like curls and military press. She recommends sitting on the ball, lifting one leg up and holding it up. Just like up in a frozen marching move...not out straight ,then doing your curls with the alternat arm for your reps. Then other leg up and alternate arm doing the curls. I hope I put that clearly enough. She like this to strenthen the core and do your lifts. It sounds like a good thing to me- I am just starting it today. I saw her on Monday. It helps when I see a pt to advance the program and it reinvigorates me to try new things. I wish you lived near, it would be fun to have you as a wacky walking partner- and I mean that in the best sense !!!!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Osteoblast...i have another idea for you about walking poles. You can buy them or you can make them. The ones i like best are ones we made. We cut the baskets off a pair of bamboo cross contry ski poles to a lenghth from a 90 degree elbow bend to the ground and put rubber caps on the ends. I also have a pair of walking poles from walmart...i don't like them as well so i gave them to Larry to use on his morning walks. I use the poles whenever we go hiking and when walking town town. Out here in the country i don't cause of the dogs. I have to have 2 free hands to hold their collars when cars go by, they aren't on leashes, but come when called. If i had to choose between poles and a vest the poles would win. I do of other things that involve weights.

I work a few mornings a week at a curves like fitness place. We have about 10 machines that are preset to different resistances. Even tho i work there i don't use them very much. they do provide good body position, but for me aren't very challenging unless i add restiance bands to handles..easy to do, hard to explain. That really adds to what the machine do. Another woman comes in early and we do the walking videos, weigh training, pilates or whatever we decide on for the time she is there. What i'm trying to say is that anything the machines can do you can do with your own body weight or hand weights.

I have a couple of big balls. The one i like best is peanut shaped. It came with a back conditoning video i ordered. It's one of my favorite videos..its relaxing to do, very smoothe flowing and makes an achy back feel better. I don't use to round very much, i tend to fall off of it

I wish we lived closer too. I'm always looking for a workout buddy who enjoys being active and doing a variety of things. I'd love to hike your coastal trails...i've never seen an ocean. For me the best thing about hiking is the view from the top of a big hill or bluff. This has turned into a book....have a good evening..take care...phyllis

Closed Thread