It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
(female)

podiecat HB User
Osteoporosis, depression, allergy and digestive issues

I've been reading about the Eat Right For Your Blood-type diet and found the following on their forum.

Quote:
Groups A and O have a higher incidence of osteoporosis.

Depression and Osteoporosis can both be caused by digestive trouble and intolerances. The intestines are responsible for so much: production of most neurotransmitters as well as the obvious mineral/vitamin absorption duties.

Many cases of osteoporosis respond well to a gluten free diet, even after celiac disease has been ruled out.

Blood and urine samples revealed that the depressed women had overactive immune systems, producing too many chemicals which promote inflammation, and not enough that keep it in check.

One of these chemicals - a protein called IL-6 - is known to promote bone loss.
My disease, systemic mastocytosis, causes the too many mast cells to degranulate - releasing interleukin's (IL-6), heparin, histamine and more.

This could also be the issue for those with significant allergies.

I would be curious to know if most of those with bad DEXA scores have allergies, stomach issues, and/or type A or O blood.....

Old 02-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
(female)

sierrawalker HB User
Re: Osteoporosis, depression, allergy and digestive issues

Podiecat,

Intersting - reminds of what Dr. Jordan Rubin thinks also. He cured himself of Crohns disease with diet. His turn around was most amazing using probiotics. "Restoring your digestive health" is one of his books. It also talks about how diet effects depression, etc. I will check if it says anything about ostoporosis. (I tried his diet a while ago & actually felt better.) You may have heard of his other book, The Maker's Diet.

There may be a common theme with the diets. Others have posted about the role ph plays. Diet does play a role, it'd be great to know more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
(female)

starfish81 HB User
Re: Osteoporosis, depression, allergy and digestive issues

Hi Podiecat: I have osteoporosis and type A blood. I read the book too, and all it did was frustrate me because apparently we're supposed to avoid certain vegetables; also, my husband is type O and there's no way I'm cooking 2 separate meals. I didn't like the way the author claimed that type A blood was "the cancer-prone type" either. ****, we have enough to worry about without hearing that.
I have absolutely no digestive issues, have been tested for celiac, and actually tried going gluten-free for a year (very difficult diet). It didn't help my T-scores. Incidentally, I have a friend in her late 50's who is also type A, and her BMD is great-despite the fact that I do much more exercise etc. than she does.

Closed Thread