It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

Turquoise HB User
Vitamin D3 revisited

Just wanted to let all my friends on the board know that I stopped the 50000 units of D2 that my Doctor Rx'd a couple of years ago. Been reading lots of info about D3 and decided to self medicate with D3-1000 units once a day. My level has steadily gone up to about 58 with the D2 but, since the D3 is a natural dose, thought it would be better for me.

I have an appt. scheduled in May with my Endo and a d level will be taken. She's used to me changing my meds as I took myself off the Fosamax, too. If my level is starting to go down at that time, I will go with the 2000 units.

So now I am taking the Strontium Citrate, a multi vitamin, Fish oil(to protect the heart), one or two calcium citrates, and the D3. I work out 4-5 times a week at Curves and have stopped drinking regular and diet soda. Never drank coffee so that doesn't factor in. Don't eat a lot of red meat but I still like my sweets. Figure I have to have some vice. Now if I could only get a good night's sleep...
Turquoise

Old 02-12-2008, 04:33 AM   #2
(female)

starfish81 HB User
Re: Vitamin D3 revisited

Turquiose-I always like reading your posts as your "philosophy" seems so similar to mine. Re: the D3: good for you for taking this into your own hands. I started with 1000 of D3, but then a dietician friend told me that it was fine to take 3000/day for osteoporosis. I've been doing that for about 9 months; had blood levels checked last July and was slightly high so cut back to 2000 over the summer (even though I'm in the "Great White North" I'm still outside a lot) and am now back to 3000 for the winter months.

I have sleeping problems too, and have found a good herbal product by New Chapter called "Tranquilnite Plus". You can take 1-3 capsules per night. I've found it to be as effective as the prescribed sleeping pills I have, without the groggy feelings and terrible taste in the AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
(female)

Turquoise HB User

Starfish:
Thanks for the tip on the herbal remedy for sleep. I didn't want to do the prescription sleep meds and have been using Tylenol pm's for a while.

I will see what my D level is in May. If it has gone down I will increase to 2000 units. Years ago they thought too much vitamin D would wreak havoc on the human body but now they have backed off that warning.

I'm past the fear and panic that came with my diagnosis. Since conventional methods did nothing for me there was no reason to continue with Fosamax or start Forteo. I am 62 and past menopause so the rate of bone loss has declined. I have some time to try and "fix" it on my own. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone so it's up to us to find what's is best for us.

The drug companies want us to be in a panic about our situation so we feel we have no choice in the matter. We all have choices. This board has given me the strength to make them.

Turquoise

Old 02-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
(female)

Canna HB User

Turquoise, I have vitamin d defic and I take D3 and have seen an improvement of 16 points up since my first blood work. I take 3000 I U's a day and when I get to the norm I will drop back to 2000. Seems like vitamin D has become the miracle vitamin for sure as it protects from cancers,heart disease, helps immune system and a host of other things ...and I would think a lot of people don't know they are low in it. Regarding exercise.. I read a testamonial on using mini -trampoline/suggested by Dr. John Lee as it takes 80% off the stress of weight bearing joints. Dr Lee told one of his clients( back when) who had osteopenia to go home buy a trampoline and use it for 12 min a day also known as rebounding. I guess your bones just get enough stress without trauma to the joints. I thought about purchasing it but seeing I am healing up from spinal fracture in October I am hestitant to try it right now so I am sticking to walking at the present and oh what a good feeling to be able to get back into it and swing my arms after fracture pain from Oct - Jan.

Last edited by Canna; 02-12-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
(female)

Turquoise HB User

Canna:
I would suggest you try the trampline before you buy it. It may be that it might pose more of an injury risk than help your osteoporosis. But it does sound like fun.
Turquoise

Closed Thread