It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Onions for bones...

Who would've guessed that the onion could improve bone denstiy??? I'm so glad to read that something i use almost daily is doing more than making supper taste good. take care..phyllis

There have been several studies since 2005 that show Onions slow the resorption of bone. (That is the break down of old bone by our Osteoclasts. )

Scientists have been trying to figure out just what chemical in the onions is responsible for slowing the work of your Osteclasts (bone resorption cells).

In 2005 a group of researchers in Bern found that a gamma-glutamyl peptide slowed the resorption of bone and that nothing else in onions seemed to have any effect, so they concluded it is responsible. (Their research gives the chemical formula of the exact peptide but I am not sure that is what we really want to know. What counts to us is that Onions can slow bone loss.)

In that same year researches in England concluded that the silicon content in Onions might be helping in building new bone. As noted in this newsletter before, silicon is necessary for turning your calcium into bone.

But any case, Onions appear to be helpful for those wanting in increase their bone density.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
(female)

peppurr HB User
Re: Onions for bones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
Who would've guessed that the onion could improve bone denstiy??? I'm so glad to read that something i use almost daily is doing more than making supper taste good. take care..phyllis

There have been several studies since 2005 that show Onions slow the resorption of bone. (That is the break down of old bone by our Osteoclasts. )

Scientists have been trying to figure out just what chemical in the onions is responsible for slowing the work of your Osteclasts (bone resorption cells).

In 2005 a group of researchers in Bern found that a gamma-glutamyl peptide slowed the resorption of bone and that nothing else in onions seemed to have any effect, so they concluded it is responsible. (Their research gives the chemical formula of the exact peptide but I am not sure that is what we really want to know. What counts to us is that Onions can slow bone loss.)

In that same year researches in England concluded that the silicon content in Onions might be helping in building new bone. As noted in this newsletter before, silicon is necessary for turning your calcium into bone.

But any case, Onions appear to be helpful for those wanting in increase their bone density.
LOL phylwil It's just good to read that something we eat IS good. By the way....I ate one chocolate today but then I had quiche for dinner which had a ton of onions in it - so I feel a whole lot better!

Last edited by peppurr; 02-12-2008 at 07:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2008, 04:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi peppur...its the simple things in life that make us the happiest. I also beleive that everything in moderation is is good advice. I try to take what i read with a grain of salt (but not too many ) and not get caught up in everything that is supposed to do this or that. Your quiche sounds good, but all those eggs wouldn't be good for my high cholesterol.... Line from a Jimmy Buffet song...."If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane"...take care...phyllis

Old 02-13-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
Hi peppur...its the simple things in life that make us the happiest. I also beleive that everything in moderation is is good advice. I try to take what i read with a grain of salt (but not too many ) and not get caught up in everything that is supposed to do this or that. Your quiche sounds good, but all those eggs wouldn't be good for my high cholesterol.... Line from a Jimmy Buffet song...."If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane"...take care...phyllis
Hi Phyllis,

Onions and lettuce contain strontium.

Take care,

jacal

Last edited by jacal5; 02-13-2008 at 06:47 AM.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Jacal...thanks for the info, i knew there were foods containing strontium didn't know which ones. We eat alot of onion and have salad quite often...between the veggies and supplements i'm getting pleanty of bone building stontium. take care..phyllis

Closed Thread