It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
(female)

yellowdaisy HB User
Vitamin D

I am very interested in the role of Vitamin D in osteopenia and osteoporosis. I recently had a blood test and my Vitamin D was 35. The doctor said this was normal (as the normal range at their lab was 20 - 100) but the nurse practitioner said it was on the low side and that I should supplement with 400 IU Vitamin D in addition to the D that's in the Citracal I'm taking (which adds up to 600 IU). Dr. Weil has published that, based on research at Harvard Med School by Dr. Willett, Vitamin D may be more important to bone health than Calcium. And that many people are officially Vitamin D deficient or borderline deficient. My doctors don't seem to know that much about it. Which type of doctor would be most knowledgeable about vitamin d (which I believe is really a hormone(?)) Would it be an endocrinologist?

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Re: Vitamin D

Hi Nickshin: Yes, an Endo would be a good Dr for vitamin D issues, or a Mineral Metabolism Dr. I have vitamin D probs and am seeing both types of Drs. Unfortunately they can't figure out why my D 25(hydroxy), D 125(dihydroxy) and Cal are out of or below normal range.

I hope you have better luck than me on this, but if I had your score on D, they would tell me its within normal range. My lab says 32-100 is normal, but they all vary in range and some feel that the reference ranges should be changed to a higher number like 45-100, but this is still in the debate stage.

Good Luck...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 05-15-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
(female)

starfish81 HB User

I'm going to add my 2 cents worth here. Last summer, I was taking 2000IU's of D3; my levels were checked and I was at 100--which is good. I recently saw my naturopath because I had done some reading on treating osteo with Vitamin K and wanted to try this approach. So I'm now on 30-40 mg of K per day, and he told me to take 5000 IU's of D3 per day as well.
Nickshin, you had asked what "kind of doctor" would be most knowlegeable about vitamin D. Call me cynical, but after dealing with this diagnosis for years I haven't much faith in mainstream medical practitioners anymore. My suggestion, if you want to discuss vitamins and their role in treatment, would be to find yourself a good naturopath!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
(female)

yellowdaisy HB User

Thanks, Starfish. I agree that they don't seem to know very much about vitamins and such. I don't have a clue, though, on how to find a naturopath. I've heard of holistic doctors, integrative doctors, naturopaths, etc. What is the difference? How do you think I should find a good one? I don't think anyone I know goes to one.

Thank you.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

I'll add my input also. My family doctor tested my vitamin D levels after I was diagnosed with osteopenia. He seems very up on it. Anyway, mine also came back at 35 (32-100) which he said was considered low these days and according to recent research should be more in the 50 to 100 range so he put me on 50000IU's for 13 weeks. Was just retested and am now at 70 which he thinks is good. He said to take a maintenance dose of 1000 IU's in addition to what is in my multi and calcium supplements and then we will retest after awhile to be sure the levels are staying up there. He said vitamin D is important not only for bone health but also aids in the destruction of cancer cells and is looking like it will be an important element in the prevention and treatment of cancer in the near future. Go Vitamin D! - jrose

Old 05-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
(female)

starfish81 HB User

[QUOTE=nickshin;3570718] I've heard of holistic doctors, integrative doctors, naturopaths, etc. What is the difference? How do you think I should find a good one? QUOTE]
Y'know, I'm not really sure of the differences between these 3. I ended up with the naturopath I go to because he was the only one for miles around who did a certain procedure (unrelated to osteo); because I felt he was both knowlegeable and approachable I decided to get him to treat the osteo as well. I was going to suggest asking around for a reference, but you mentioned you don't know of anyone using a naturopath. So maybe the best thing would be to locate whichever type of practitioner you'd like and give their office a call. If you get a good feeling talking to the receptionist, ask if you could have a short appointment to meet the doctor and decide if he/she is someone you feel comfortable with.
Good luck; it may take some time but Im sure you'll eventually find an office you're happy with.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
(female)

Canna HB User

vitamin d has become "the" vitamin and I think also once you get your level up you have to maintain it. I have gone from deficient but still in low level but had to up my iu's to 4000 that was the range that worked or I should say even started to work for me and it is a slow process... all the researchers are saying higher amounts needed. The people that I know that are on low amounts their levels are not increasing. or if not it takes forever. Doesn't it go like this.... The better your vit d levels the better bone density!!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
(female)

Myth HB User

hi
as I understand it a holistic doctor is one that is medically trained in the mainstream but takes the natural approach as well with vitamins etc and they treat the 'whole' person not just the disease,usually involves lifestyle changes, diet , meditation etc etc
an integrative doctor is one who is medically trained in the mainstream as well as trained in nutrition therapy (vitamins) and will use both to treat a patient
a naturopath is not medically qualified in the mainstream only in natural medicine such as vitamins , herbs , etc etc

hope this helps
Myth

Closed Thread