It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
(female)

virginiann HB User
Actonel Boniva Fosamax won't build new bone

Biphosphonate drugs, like Fosamax, Actonel and Boniva work by killing off osteoclasts which are supposed to resorb old, infirm bone. So when you take these medications, your bones may stay denser, but they will be composed of a higher amount of old, poor quality bone cells. The bone structure is made up of both of collagen and calcium, which means they will be more brittle and weak. You must have balanced bone resorption and creation. These drugs create an unbalanced environment which can't create strong healthy bones.

In fact, there are also other prescription drugs that block the absorption of calcium into bones. Prednisone does this. It is commonly used to treat autoimmune, asthma, and inflammatory diseases.

Research any drug your doctor recommends online first to read about what its side effects are.

There are two elements that control the bones. NTx and BAP. NTx controls resorption or breakdown and BAP controls reformation or rebuilding of bone.

As you see, just taking any old calcium supplement is not the answer. It takes calcium, Vitamin D3 and magnesium to rebuild bones.

Last edited by virginiann; 05-22-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Actonel Boniva Fosamax won't build new bone

I'm not taking those because of the side effects. If the medications create an unbalanced environment I wonder how if the environment of bone creation is changed for the better by taking those medications. If everything was balanced correctly then I shouldn't be loosing bone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
(male)

PikaB HB User

Disclaimer: I don't really know what I'm talking about.

The body is normally constantly creating new bone and breaking down old bone. When the process has a negative balance, old bone is being lost faster than new bone is being created, which results in osteoporosis. So medicine tries to either increase the production of new bone (Forteo), slow the breakdown of old bone (bisphosphonates), or both (strontium ranelate). But even if the medication is working properly, it might only slow down the bone loss, because the imbalance is too strong to be reversed. If everything was balanced correctly then, indeed, you shouldn't be losing bone. But if you are losing bone, then it may be very difficult to reverse the negative imbalance.

The Following User Says Thank You to PikaB For This Useful Post:
euj (03-23-2011)
Old 05-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
(female)

virginiann HB User

I take a natural product that increases the bone building or BAP element. My BAP score is 38.2 on a scale of 42.7. all without side effects. Your right about Forteo building bone except it has to be injected and the side affects could be bad.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
(female)

virginiann HB User

If your BMD scores have not improved then your BAP or bone building element is to low.
and your NTx level is to high. In order to recover NEW bone your BAP must increase and be in balance with the NTx. I recommend you ask your Doctor for a BAP blood test and a NTx urine test and see what your numbers are.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
(female)

Canna HB User

virginiann just curious to what natural product you use to increase bone? Is it strontium?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

VIRGINIANN:

You mention that you take a natural product to increase bone building or BAP element. Can you give the name of the product - I'm curuous

monte

Closed Thread