It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
(male)

PikaB HB User
How Strontium Works, cont.

The old thread with this title was wandering off topic, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

At the 2006 World Congress of the International Osteoporosis Foundation, held in Toronto, there were several research presentations concerning strontium, based on bone biopsies of patients taking strontium ranelate. Among the findings:

1. Strontium is incorporated into new bone, but does not find its way into older bone, even after three years of use.

2. Strontium changes the microarchitecture of bone. One researcher stated that the best way to think of this is to imagine bone as a tube filled with styrofoam packing (bone structural units); on strontium ranelate, the nature of the packing does not change, but the amount of packing and how it fits together does. Normally, trabecular bone consists of rod-like structures. On strontium ranelate, trabecular bone consists of a plate-like pattern.

That's very interesting. On strontium ranelate, the bone structure is no longer "normal" bone structure. Let's just hope this altered bone doesn't have any undiscovered long-term negative side effects.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: How Strontium Works, cont.

PikaB:

I can't imagine any ''undiscovered long-term side effects'' from Strontium being worse than those already suffered, and still suffering, by long-term users of ''bisphosphonate'' drugs

monte

Last edited by montesflus; 05-23-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
(female)

Myth HB User

are we guinea pigs yet again ?

I cannot find any long term studies on the effect of strontium on osteoporosis
but it does make the dexa results look good.
and I have found there are some negative side effects such as headache, diarrhea, skin irritation, blood clots, memory problems, seizures

Old 05-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
(female)

Canna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaB View Post
The old thread with this title was wandering off topic, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

At the 2006 World Congress of the International Osteoporosis Foundation, held in Toronto, there were several research presentations concerning strontium, based on bone biopsies of patients taking strontium ranelate. Among the findings:

1. Strontium is incorporated into new bone, but does not find its way into older bone, even after three years of use.

2. Strontium changes the microarchitecture of bone. One researcher stated that the best way to think of this is to imagine bone as a tube filled with styrofoam packing (bone structural units); on strontium ranelate, the nature of the packing does not change, but the amount of packing and how it fits together does. Normally, trabecular bone consists of rod-like structures. On strontium ranelate, trabecular bone consists of a plate-like pattern.

That's very interesting. On strontium ranelate, the bone structure is no longer "normal" bone structure. Let's just hope this altered bone doesn't have any undiscovered long-term negative side effects.
I just went to IOF World Osteoporosis Congress and read up on it... they said they are held every 2 years so that was in 2006 so we must keep watching for the 2008 one. Apparently with strontium the bone becomes thicker which improves the strength and of course that explains the decreased risk for fractures in those on strontium treatments. Phyllis if you are reading.. this is interesting as we talked about not taking strontium for 30 days prior to our dexa scans just last week.... it stated once strontium is stopped it is rapidly cleared from the bone (so I am assuming gives a more accurate reading) whereas bisphosphonates continue to appear in urine even up to 8 years after stopping!!!!! It also said Osteoporotic women stand to benefit the proven efficacy and tolerability of strontium treatment!!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi...interesting stuff in this thread. Nothing is perfect and its a matter of choosing the lesser of the evil choices. I read the same thing about strontium leaving the body quickly, its good to know that it won't be lingering for many moons to come. If strontium malanate gets FDA approved we'll be seeing a lot more on it and will maybe see a decline in the use current meds as dr. become familiar with it. Its a like anything else we deal with as we age...its wait and see. Have a good Memeorial Day..take care...phyllis

Old 05-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
(male)

Todd500 HB User

With regards to not using strontium prior to a DEXA, does anyone have a definitive answer as to how long you should stop in advance of the exam?

Old 05-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Todd..i was told to stop 30 days prior to the DEXA. When i went in for the scan and told them i was taking strontium and ask if they had the adjustments or knew someone who did, the place went into a tizzy. We have a small hospital and they had no idea what i was talking about, altho my dr. knew i was taking it. After about 30 minutes they came back and told me about the 30 days. The info came from an article by a Dr. Hoffman. There could be other methods, but this is what i was told. There is now a question on the prescan questionaire that ask if you take strontium citrate, thanks to me...hahaha. take care..phyllis

Old 05-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
(male)

PikaB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canna View Post
...Phyllis if you are reading.. this is interesting as we talked about not taking strontium for 30 days prior to our dexa scans just last week.... it stated once strontium is stopped it is rapidly cleared from the bone (so I am assuming gives a more accurate reading)...
It's not clear to me what they mean by "rapidly cleared from the bone" since it also is stated that strontium levels in the bone peak after 3 years of use. If strontium was cleared from the bone after one month, then I would expect strontium levels to peak after one month. Since it peaks after 3 years, that would seem to indicate that, after using it for a year, quite a lot of strontium would still be in the bone after stopping for 30 days.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
(male)

Todd500 HB User

This past year when I had my DEXA I had mentioned to the tech that I had started strontium and if that could possibly alter the results. After some research on their part, they basically had no answer. Hopefully by next year they'll have an answer for me, either in some adjustment of the machine or just to refrain from using it prior to the test.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
(female)

Canna HB User

Todd my understanding is... to stop taking strontium 30 days prior to dexa as strontium leaves body quickly and you will get a more accurate reading plus whatever score you get take off 10% as strontium is more dense than calcium!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Canna For This Useful Post:
Aluma (04-02-2012)
Closed Thread