It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Forteo recent graduating class

Just wanting to check in with other recent forteo grads and share my experiences/questions etc. I am not touting my numbers because , in my spine where it was worst-no improvement. Though hips are no longer in osteoporosis but osteopenia YAY!I think I feel better off of the forteo-but can't point to anything in particular. Just feel better from the moment I stopped. I am 3 wks into my vivelle dot .05 and all is well. No signs of any issues so far-no great changes either. I will see gyn this coming wk. and am going to ask to move up to next level .075 and get the progesterone regimen set. DB-if you looked at the vivelle dot info on dosing and bone density-can you understand why I am thinking that I should move up?? In other words, do you read the data similar to the way I do?Data can be very tricky! I just do not want anymore loss if I can do something about it. And according to risk factors for hrt, I am ok.Do you think if I was going to have an issue with .05, that I would have already?(I also go for another thyroid u/s this wk, I am hoping no excitement this time, but after last time finding a 3.5cm mass in my lymph node that resolved itself-I think I have been pre-catastrophied-and I will just have to try to take what comes in stride) P.S. thanks to all for your kind wishes when I went through that.On another matter, I had a lip biopsy this past wk. to check out sjogren's. I get results this wk. Though if sjogren's not found, apparently my other symptoms may then be just showing an earlier stage. And, I am going to be part of a sjogren's study at Univ. of Wa. where they are seeking to identify sjogren's from proteins in the saliva. Now that would be easier than a lip biopsy. I had to go to hosp, out patient surgery and have twilight anesthesia. It was a much bigger deal than I thought. And, I have a nice chunk out of my inner lower lip.Anyway, when speaking to the researcher at the Univ. about the severe osteo, hashimoto's , possible sjogren's--her off the record comment was estrogen.So, what are we to do ladies, with increasing life span, our estrogen production has not kept pace and we know there are significant risks with replacement and risks of not replacing.

PikaB-if you are out there, what did you decide on?? Hope your transition off has gone smoothly Did you ever look into male hormones? I have seen somethings in my research which sounded pretty interesting and wondering if that would be a viable way for you to hold your gains.

DB- I know you are dealing with a load right now with high calcium and heart issues. Any light at the end of that tunnel? I hope so for you, it has been a long hard road.I am also hoping that Mr. DB is doing ok. My best wishes and positive, healing thoughts are there for both of you. I wonder if your vit d will start back up , now that you are off of the forteo. And, I wonder if after one month or two following forteo if maybe your calcium will look difft too. The bone spec. I am now going to said forteo is a very powerful drug. I think I said this before, but it must tax our systems alot. So, I am hoping for you that some of these system abnormalities though troubling before forteo, may ease up some after forteo.
You must be several wks. into evista , any hot flashes or any other feelings of note?

Any other forteo grads , chime right in and let us know what your path after forteo is and how you are doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2008, 03:16 AM   #2
(male)

PikaB HB User
Re: Forteo recent graduating class

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
...PikaB-if you are out there, what did you decide on?? Hope your transition off has gone smoothly Did you ever look into male hormones?...
For the time being I'm just continuing with my alternative therapies (vibrating on the Juvent 1000, eating natto for K2, chewing Xylichew), a self-experiment to see if it will prevent any BMD decline for the next year. I remember my endo tested me for testosterone once (among the other lab tests); I didn't ask those results and he didn't mention anything, so I assume it was OK.

I'm really resistant to the idea of taking any drug forever, though I know it will probably happen eventually.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

PikaB-I just did a search on testosterone osteoporosis. UW bone physiology was the first option (and probably the best compilation of solid info), there is a whole page with extensive info and research on males and osteoporosis including a section on testosterone . Bottom line to me, it seems to function the way estrogen does in females but maybe the results of supplementing are even more dramatic.There is a chart showing increase in baseline bmd following 36 months treatement with testosterone for males low in testorerone, and the average increase in spinal bmd appeared to be 10% if I read the chart correctly. And, there is a brief discussion of minimal side effects which appeared outweighed by the gains made.One of the side effects is muscle mass gain-now maybe you don't want that but it sure looked like a plus to me . Also it talked about the very significant decrease in fracture that would likely be seen with such gains.
After all the expense and effort with the forteo, I would think it impt. to at least get the latest testosterone report from the dr. and see where you fall in the range . And, maybe even get a more current lab done. In my experience some drs. will say nothing about a lab level , as long as it is in range, even though you may be scraping the absolute bottom of the range.
There was also a pretty clear statement that it seemed a much better option than the bisphos. ....take a look(although I know you decided against the bisphos)
Let me know if you read the chart and info as I did. As I said in my earlier post, sometimes data can be deceiving.

Last edited by osteoblast; 06-22-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Osteo: Congrats on the hip measurement --Yahooo! I hope you are excited about that. Did you ever find out about the L4 score? I know that when they do the spinal score they don't usually look at each vertebra score, but I'm still confused about the major different between yours.

What kind of issues are you talking about with the vivelle? Do you mean daily side effects, or the long term stuff like breast/ovarian cysts, which you may *never* get anyway? If you haven't noticed any negative side effects so far, you probably never will. Hormones gave me a general feeling of well being, besides the increased sleep, skin changes and less night sweats.

I think I understand why you want to move up to the next dose. What I read was that dose showed the greatest increase in bmd, compared to the others.

When do you find out about the sjorgrens? Also, what kind of study are you in? Do you have to go to the hospital/study place often?

I hope the thyroid nodules are okay, mine got a little bigger on hrt. Some Drs believe that hormones can activate growth, but I'm not sure I believe that. What I mean by growth, is in cysts, nodules etc.

Did you know that Evista can be used by men? I just read that somewhere, and found it interesting.

I won't be having another cal, or D test till next mo so I don't know what the level is right now. However, on the last 25 (OH) D it was, 24 up from 8, and that was right after I stopped *all* vit D supplements. The min met Dr feels that my calcium will also go down since I'm off the Forteo, so we'll see, I hope that is the case. I'm going to wait to see the Endo at UCLA after the next cal, D test because if it goes back to normal it may stay there. I just wish these chest pains would go away soon also. I don't have them everyday anymore, but still have many of them each week. My husband's fine, thanks for asking.

Let us know what you find out on all this, and I hope that biopsy wasn't painful. It's awfully hot here (107 yesterday), hope it's nice there!!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

DB-Sorry to hear you are roasting in southern cal.
I do hope things even out after the forteo clears your system.
I do really want to do a good response to alot of what you brought up-but I am in a not so good mode tonight.
Spent the day in seattle-
and here is the upshot-thyroid u/s showed 3cm mass clearly, looks like not in lymph gland
I have an 8 am appt. with endo tomorrow and afternoon appt with ent.-looks like at least lobectomy is on the table but I want the whole thing out. The radiologist said he could not rule out cancer. He said some thyroid abnormalities do not show on ct scan and maybe that is why it didn't show 3 mo. ago after he found it on u/s. And, that the second u/s with another dr. at the major hosp-well, that guy doesn't specialize inthyroid u/s. So. Tomorrow will tell the tale.
I saw my pcp -my wonderful "Iam on your side pcp" and she said not to worry that she will help orchestrate and if I am told just lobectomy she will do a deeper inquiry and maybe we set out looking for a new endo /ent team.
Saw gyn-she upped vivelle dose to .075 and we haven't decided on the progesterone part yet, I see her in 3 mo. and then we will se what we will see. More later on that.
Tomorrow when I see ent besides the Total thyroidectomy issue , she will give me lip biopsy results. No pain really. Just a pain going to the hosp, twilight anesthesia, getting nauseated after surgery-other than that no pain. some tenderness. Thanks for asking.
L-4 per the mri didn't show hemangioma--in thoracic there was a small hemangioma. No real explantation given by bone exp. for L-4. Just she thinks post meno drain out quite dramatic.
I am exhausted and have to be back in seattle at 8 am , meaning we leave the house at 530, so I wanted to share with you the situation.
Tomorrow afternoon, I can get to more of your stuff and the updates. I am not in total shell shock, that happened 3 months ago when they first found the mass and then release of tension when they said it resolved. Luckily it hasn't grown in the meantime. Truth to tell , I am feeling some "negative thoughts " about my endo. Who everyone holds in such high repute. Of course the ct and secondu/s said no prob. But....why didn't she question more??I hope I don't break down in tears in her office. I just do not want to go there. I know my pcp who carries alot of weight in the clinic there will see me through this to the best resolution. So, I need to remember that she is in my corner and that in the end all will be well one way or the other.
ps-had no idea men could do evista-cool . did you look at uw bone phys men's pg. and see the testosterone effects-pretty darn impressive!
I want you to feel better, and know that I am thinking of you too and glad dh isdoing allright.
Tomorrow I'll get back to you. Thanks bone buddy!

Old 06-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Bone Bud Boy my mind is still reeling from all the info about your problems!! Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers, at all times, and the candle will be lit again.

What are the implications of doing a total thyroidectomy? I take it that they don't leave a portion of it behind? If so, do you have to take meds forever to control t3-4 and calcitonin?

I'm glad you have such confidence in you pcp, that should be reassuring. Have you figured out what it is about the Endo that has you so concerned? Did she make a major mistake, like you mentioned on not looking further on the last us or ct scan, or is it something else. When I get that gut feeling about a Dr. I have to sit down and make a list of all the pros and cons about the Dr and then decide if the cons are greater. If they are then you need to make a move to someone else and hope for the best. If a Dr looses your confidence it can have many other negative effects aside from what the Dr is doing, because you mind isn't comfortable, in some way-it's really hard to constantly fight those feelings-plus exhausting since you feel like nothing is being resolved or things aren't moving forward in a positive way.

When you feel better let us know how it went today. Of course if you aren't up to that don't worry, we'll be here at any time-right?

You should be encouraged about the dosing on the Vivelle-now let's see what happens with this, hopefully lots of new bone.

Good luck on the biopsy results. When you had those tests on the thyroid nodule, did they also do a biopsy at that time, my memory is going Normally I would remember something like that, but times have changed

I haven't read the men's page lately at Univ of WA, and I only ran across the info on Evista by accident. My brothers will not take any of the bisphos's, but they may consider Evista, but I actually think they can handle their scores on supplements and exercise alone. My oldest brother went from high Osteopenia to normal bone in 2 years, or was it 1 year, anyway he runs everyday and has for over 30 years, and is a supplement nut-takes so many I couldn't possible tell you the number-it's truly a freaky number which has me somewhat worried.

Stay cool or warm which ever the weather up there is throwing at you... Do you get earth quakes there? I don't know why I'm asking this, except that we do and haven't had any near us recently except for the one in Loma Linda, a couple of days ago.

Don't forget were thinking of you!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Thanks for touching in. Turns out my endo is probably on my side as much as the pcp-but it is the ent that really threw me today. The pcp and endo were all for tt but the ent wants more tests and is hesitant to take out whole thyroid.Seems like she wants to leave me with half. Which for me is an issue. I have nodules on both sides, plus the 3cm mass plus two lymph nodes that are looking suspicious to them.
YOu are right estrogen can grow tumors. Incl thyroid nodules. Since estrogen is now and will be my osteo treatment, stands to reason already damaged thyroid should go now. And, with the 3cm mass still there-now is the time. My pcp and endo have once again come to the fore and are sending me to a spec. at the Univ. of WA to see if we can get this dealt with asap. I will know more tomorrow am.
There was no biopsy done because when I went back for the biopsy 3 months ago after the first viewing of the 3 cm mass , the second radiologist said he couldn't find the area. But now the first radiologist after 3 months says it is still there plain as day. And, could be cancer. This has got to move on soon. So, I am supposed to call my pcp first thing in the am. and see about this appt. Thanks for thoughts , prayers and candle , you are a dear one.Of all this lousy stuff I have been dealing with, meeting people like you and others here has been a joy and sustenance. Also I have learned alot and not just about medical conditions, about our human condition and spirit as well.
Yes, with total thyroidectomy, I have to take replacement thyroid hormone for all the days of my life. But, that is going to happen anyway, because of hashimoto's destroying the thyroid as we speak even now. It has probably destroyed a good 70% of it so far, so in my mind I say why keep the hunk of junk. Yes, there is risk to parathyroids and laryngeal nerve in removal of thyroid. But, thyroid cancer means you have to suppress treatment to a low level--risking hyperthyroid and bone loss. And, probably should not take estrogen, which is now my bone treatment.
It seems so clear to me it needs to go. And my antibodies are sooo high, it seems like I am courting other AI diseases like the sjogren's. On the sjogren's biopsy , the results are not strongly positive but do not rule it out. So--the lip biopsy doesn't nail it down, but did show info about cellular status which will help at the UW research study.
In fact I only go one time and they measure salivary output,examine oral mucosa and then analyze the saliva for various proteins that they are seeking to identify.
More later-my mind is still in a disordered state. Hopefully the pcp can help me more tomorrow. She spoke with both endo and ent today. At least they are talking and something should happen soon.
I am trying to keep my mind in a peaceful place when I remember to---sometimes it hangs out in a place of fear
but I keep trying to bring it back
I am a work in progress.
Trying not to throw too much blame on the endo or any doc right now, just trying to get to a resolution that feels right to me. The Ent seems to be just focusing on the thyroid gland and not seeing me as a person with a myriad of health issues that are intertwined.

Last edited by osteoblast; 06-25-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi OB...i can't say i understand all that you wrote, but please know that you are deeply in my thoughts. You are a fighter and i know that you'll face each issue with strength and armed with knowledge. Take care... phyllis

Old 06-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Osteo: I hope you are feeling better I know you want to have the tt, but would it be possible to remove both nodules and still leave half of the gland in place? I know you are having nothing but troubles with it, but if they remove the whole gland won't you have to worry about the meds causing more bone probs? I don't know much about this, but I remember when they first found my t nodules, the endo said he wouldn't consider thyroid meds to suppress it, because of the negative effect it would have on remodeling. Maybe I'm not understanding this completely, but I would think the ent would try to save part of it, unless it's malignant, which I'm sure ISN'T the case.

Do you think this time around, you are a little more resilient? I was just hoping that the vivelle might be giving you a little more overall strength. This probably sounds ridiculous, but I know I was able to handle challenging things better on hrt. When your hormones are really out of whack, you tend to go through the highs and lows much more voraciously.

Well hopefully you've found out something positive by now, you've been in my thoughts all day. I go to the OB-Gyn tomorrow to get the results of my ovarian cyst, and was wondering does anyone know how difficult it is to do a biopsy of those? I'm tired of having these us's every 2 months, and with the recent increase in calcium I'm always wondering if any of these things are the cause. It would be nice to just get a dx one way or another and stop the constant us's on the breast, thyroid and ovaries. Have you ever heard of someone who would biopsy a sub c thyroid nodule? I've been told they won't do that because they are too small and too close to the carotid.

I hope your excellent team of Drs have come up with a solution to all these things. When you feel like it, let us know the latest-ok?

Your Bud (DB)

Old 06-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Bone buddies-
When you have hashimoto's thyroiditis , your thyroid has been given a death notice and the day of reckoning gets closer everyday. Within a period of time, varies for everybody, the thyroid will be killed off by the tpo antibodies . My tpo antibodies are very industrious and numerous and they have really been going at it .My present 75/88(alt. days) dose of synthroid will probably be increase by 25 mcg when the thyroid has totally been destroyed by the antibodies . And, there is no chance this will not happen. So, with thyroid replacement you just have to be sure not to take too much or you go hyperthyroid and lose bone. So your doc monitors your levels regularly and you just have to watch it that you stay balanced at a nice mid point not hypo , not hyper.The hard time is when the thyroid is dying because it doesn't just fade off gradually, the destruction is in fits and starts. And alot of monitoring needs to be done and other meds, supplements, illnesses can block/enhance absorption of synthroid so its a delicate balance.
Now wanting /getting the TT just means that maybe next month or so, I will go up to what will be my full dose around 120. Because I will have no thyroid tissue putting out thyroid hormone.And, even if I only had one lobe removed, and had one lobe left, that remaining lobe is going to die totally probably within some 2-3 yrs. So, I would then have to be on the total replacement dose just at a later date.
Yes, the doc could take out the lobe on the right where the 3plus cm. mass is adjacent to. And she could leave the left lobe with the 3 nodules that are now sub centimeter. But, if those nodes on the remaining lobe grow over 1cm and a biopsy is done and they are cancerous or questionable then later that lobe would have to go too. I have read that if they take one lobe and later have to go back in for the other , you have increased your risk of damage to the parathyroid glands and the laryngeal nerve( meaning you may lose your voice totally or partially). In any event , I say why not get rid of the rt. lobe and its mass which looks like it's going to happen and while in there take off the left. Because the left lobe is going to die anyway and not produce any thyroid hormone because the antibodies are going to keep attacking whatever thyroid tissue is there until they have completed their work-which is total destruction of the thyroid.(if someone does not have hashimoto's and has a nodule on a lobe, and other lobe ok--then of course just take out the problem node or lobe and leave the rest to function---but hashimoto's takes no prisoners everybody (both lobes) have got to die.
I hope I explained this clearly.
DB-IF and it is a big IF---if I am handling this any better than 3 months ago, it is because I have been there and done that before--the total freak out---
It is like ground I have already covered. But, when I go to the oncologists office, that will be new and I am sure there are still some things that I am going to have push my fear buttons .
Now maybe it is the estrogen helping too. I told you I had the vivelle dot just raised from .05 to .075. They did an estradiol , 3 wks into the .05 dose and I still had less than 20 estradiol. So, I am so glad the dose has been raised. I will have it checked again in a few weeks. You know it seems to go fast into your system and fast out. Apparently, within 24 hrs. of removing a patch you are back at your estradiol base line. So, having it checked in a few weeks seems ok. The gyn said she wants me somewhere near 80-100 estradiol. Nothing decided yet on the progesterone part. At 3 months she will check to see if my atrophied uterus could then take a progesterone iud. Apparently that is a way to get a low dose with less systemic effects. But, she will have to see if I am ready then. Well, too much on that. But, I still hope that the estrogen could help my bones---at least from a fracture if not by actually increasing bmd.
I hope I didn't go too far with these explanations.
I hope I can hold it together a little bit better this time around. And, like I say, I have learned alot from my good bone buds here and my thryoid buddies too. And, spending time at the drs or at the hosp really brings home alot of realities about living with a body.

ps-taking a suppression dose is taking an over dose where you would go hyper and yes, you would lose bone and yes , you may shrink your nodules--but for us the cost is not worth it.
and, I do not think they will biopsy at less than 1cm.

Last edited by osteoblast; 06-26-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Osteo: Thanks for all the info. I obviously don't know much about hashimoto's or any thyroid disorders, so it was good to be educated

I hope you are still hanging in, and I also hope whatever plans they have are up to your expectations. Will you have to have surgery right away?

Take it easy and try not to get to stressed. I know with all my surgeries, I had to find a way to handle the pre-op jitters, or I would go nuts. Luckily I did find a way to do that, but it's very hard to explain.

When we go to my dh's oncologists office, you just have to stay centered, and not pay much attention to the pain around you, even though that is hard because you want to emanate or react with compassion towards the patients even if you don't speak. Where we go it's a chemo/rad treatment clinic, so it's hard not to see a lot of suffering. When I leave that office I always feel some extra strength, for some reason, like it's in the air-which is hard to explain. All those dear souls are fighting so hard that their strength is contagious to me. My husband doesn't react the same way, but if you let yourself give in to it, by acceptance it helps. I hope you don't think I'm talking like you have cancer, I DON'T mean it that way. There's a lot of women at my dh's Drs office and they give out so many nice things for them to just lift their spirits some. Nail polish, bath salts, aromatherapy products, scarves etc. are all things that help just a little or maybe a lot. My dh goes to a Univ Oncology Group, so they can afford to do these things. I don't think I would ever see anything like that where we live (small town).

It seems now, that the way *you* want to handle this is the best way, so just proceed slowly and get as much sleep and relaxing times as you can. Since we were both into yoga, just remember what you were taught about the breathing because it will help when you feel like your at the edge

Let us know how things go, and my thoughts and prayers will continue for you and anyone else who needs it. No matter what we go through there is always something positive we can learn or benefit from; that can be used to better our lives and those around us. This doesn't mean that you belittle the gravity of a situation, just let it have the capacity to turn into something that's personally enlightening.

Hang tough we're thinking about you

Old 06-27-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Nice message DB-thanks so very much. And, you are so right about being around others who are trying their best and how it does pull you up as well. I have felt that too.
Oddly enough today I had a sestamibi scan at the hospital. It was about a 3 hr. deal. Was that like yours. The stuff was put in by catheter in my hand and then various time frames were being used, like pictures for 10 min then not for 20, then 40 min. then short break , then 20 and on it went like that , and close to the end more stuff put in the catheter in my arm and then some more pics. She let me look at some of them. And the left/right sides were very difft. in size but , the tech couldn't say anything and I couldn't understand what I was seeing so--. I am still wondering what prompted the ent to do this. Also in about a wk. I am having another ct with thin slice cutting of the images. There was more tech. lang used to describe the technique but I don't have that paper in front of me now. Haven't heard yet on when second opinion appt. is scheduled for.
I expect all this will transpire in next 2, maybe 3 wks. So I will let you know. Sure was odd to have the sestamibi-I wonder why she now was thinking anything at all about the para thyroids or if it was just to get a better read on the total landscape?
I am thinking of you too and hoping your transition to evista is coming along well. Any side effects of note??? Are you getting any better with your calcium and heart palps as the days pass from use of forteo?
Yes, I work on the diaphragmatic breathing everyday--even if it is just when waking up and going to sleep , but try at other times as well. Esp. in med waiting rooms. And, am working on the positive thoughts for myself, others near and those far and dear, known and unknown and you are in there too of course. It's one of those no exception things.
I hope the hummingbirds are around and lifting your spirits.

Last edited by osteoblast; 06-27-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Osteo: I hope you're doing okay??? Any firework plans for you two? We have some tonight in the community that we live in and it's such a nice alternative to the daily medical issues.

The sestamibi I had was done a bit differently, but I didn't have it done at a Univ Med Center. They injected the radio active dye and took some pictures, then I returned 4 hours later for some other pics. I wasn't able to see any of them, but like you say if I did I probably wouldn't know what I was looking at. Luckily they put these scans on CD now, and I can get a copy of it and view it on my computer. I did that with my last CT scan, which is *so* much easier to figure out, since I've seen them so many times before prior to back surgery.

I'm not sure why they did yours except maybe it gives a better picture of the surrounding area instead of just looking at the thyroid only. Did they take pictures of your head as well? Mine included abdominal, throat and head pictures, but I don't know why they include that. I was told, at one point, that some people have parathyroids in unusual areas, where one gland maybe right behind the thyroid and another would be someplace else entirely.

I'm not placing too much importance on this scan, because I think the false negatives are too frequent. Almost everyone I've talked to about this test said that their parathyroid probs were found by a us, even those with adenomas.

I don't have any noticeable side effects from the Evista, so that's good.

I won't have another cal test until next month (insurance) so I don't know what it is, but the chest pains aren't as frequent, so I think that it probably isn't high like it was when the chest pains were at their worst. I remember the day I had the last high cal test and that was also the day the chest pains started, so I think there is definitely a connection.

My ovarian cyst has gotten smaller, so they will continue to do the sono in 2 more months.

The hummingbirds are still here along with 3 ducks who hang out every summer in our yard. My dh feeds them so they aren't going anywhere. The ducks follow us all over waiting to be feed so it looks a little weird. Our community is having fireworks tonight over our lake so they'll probably take off when that starts. The fireworks reflect off the water, so we can watch from the driveway.

Keep us posted on all this stuff and stay cool-weather and emotions

Old 06-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

DB-No fireworks plans, I never was one to like the noise. I am a lover of peace and quiet. I'd rather look at a wildflower or a star, or cloud, than see the big whoosh of pyrotechnics and the boom. Also until very recently we were always with our dog and he was very frightened by the noise of fireworks. Apparently many dogs are spooked by the noise and they have a lot of lost dogs at the shelters after the fourth.
On the sestamibi, they did get my whole head in the picture and down my mid chest. One comment though, that my dh reminded me of is that she said toward the bottom of the thyroid on the right side, maybe she saw a parathyroid lighting up ,but she couldn't really say. She pointed it out to us, but really hedged her comment-like maybe she was totaly off and plus she shouldn't have said anything. But that would be truly weird if there is a para thyroid thing going on . And, I would feel in a crazy way glad about that if it could stop some of the bone loss. But....the tech said she really couldn't say.I suppose if there is a question from the sestamibi, then it will be back to the u/s expert to see what he finds. In about 9 days I have the next CT.
Yes, you are right about the false negatives. The woman in my area that I met at the docs, said she had 2 sestamibis and nothing showed, but then on the u/s one showed in the hands of the expert (who found my mass 2 times). She had surgery same day, same doc as I had my lip biopsy and the one adenoma was taken out. The doc said it was the size of an almond. And, they are supposed to be smaller than a piece of rice. She feels better already but it is a slow go , she was suffering along time. She has a significant weight issue, so they couldn't do the dexa, they said she was too heavy for the table so she doesn't know her bone situation. She has to lose weight first??Seems like there should be some other way.Don't you think??
Glad to hear chest pains are fewer, and hope that the next cal. test looks good.The body has to do a lot of recalibration after forteo I think. So, I am hoping and praying for you that this will straighten out.I think the estrogen is giving me some water weight. Other than that nothing to report.
It is terrific that your ovarian cysts are getting smaller. YAY! Hope the trend continues.
What kind of hummingbirds do you have , do you know??They are so beautiful to look at, just like little gems. At least the anna and rufous hummingbirds we see up here.
Your ducks sound hilarious. Do they have names??Where we used to live , there was a big white wild goose that would hang around and her name was Esmerelda, she was very regal!She hung with the Canadian geese but because she was all white , you always could pick her out. Now our white car is Esmerelda. Maybe that sounds funny, but I knew another woman who always named her cars and I feel that she had a beautiful way of being in the world. Irene was on first name basis with alot of people , and creatures and even her car, I wasn't there for her funeral but I heard it was one huge love fest. She visited the sick in the hosp. on weekends, even people she didn't know , she then came to know.
I am trying all kinds of methods to keep cool. Emotions wise. One day at a time just like those in AA , seems to be it for me. Sometimes, it is just the next few minutes. I have diagnosis whiplash , it is there, it isn't, now it is, or is it???So, this next few weeks will tell the tale, I am sure they are going to get this determined at the clinic where I am at, and then they have a referral in to the Univ. of Wa. oncology. But, I want the clinic where I am going to give me their final diagnosis on this and then I would go for second opinion.

Closed Thread