It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 05:35 AM   #31
(female)

singingirl HB User
Re: Ezorb side effects...warning

hi all - wow, women after my own heart... i love hummus, buy it all the time, little did i know it's good for me. in what way, i wonder?? also, am going to make that kale recipe today if the stuff hasn't gone bad in the refrig since i bought it last week... my sister had also told me of a similar recipe using kale, but she uses tofu with soy sauce, water chestnuts. i use tofu a lot and i guess there's calcium in that as well. if anyone is interested in my recipe for tofu, red peppers and peanut sauce, let me know.

what i learned about calcium carb. is the same as what you said, take with food as it needs enzymes to absorb. since i have a bottle from Costco that could serve a small town I probably should stick with that as my supplement to the Ezorb. Question about that to jacal 5 - can you and do you take it without food? for ease of taking it, i've been taking it first thing in the a.m. just in my water, i can actually take the taste of it ok. do you think it's true about it that you don't need vitamin D or mag. for it to absorb? (that's what the mfr. claims.) also, do you have a special place where you purchase it at a price that doesn't send you to the poor house?

i don't doubt that i was stronger two years ago when i worked with a personal trainer. i lost weight, felt awesome, etc. Now, two years later and having pretty much gone thru menopause, i do feel totally different. I continued to get my period for quite a bit longer than a lot of friends and even family. i was always complaining about it. But since last August it has seemed to go bye-bye and i can truly feel the difference in my skin, my joints, and certainly my bones. It's totally unfair!!! we do all the baby making, etc., and we get the raw end of the deal! (don't know if anyone is in agreement about that one..) well, have a great day everyone, thanks again, and sorry for the rambling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

Hi Phyllis, Singing Girl and All,

I was in the ER all day yesterday with Mom, she's ok, but I'm so tired today.

Best gym equip. exercises: Lat pull down, hip adduction/abduction, row machine, leg press, (I think I remembered all of them).

I take all supplements with food, But I avoid taking calcium with any food that blocks absorption, like oat bran. I don't like to take any of them on an empty stomach. I just read yesterday that all vitamins should be taken with meals for better absorption.

No matter what e-zorb says, I take magnesium/vitamin k supplement at a separate time from the e-zorb since magnesium is good for other things besides bones. I read that calcium and magnesium go through the same channels and may block each other. My vitamin company now states in their catalog that they should be taken separately. I take Vitamin D3 pills starting in the fall because I live in NY, and I get plenty of sun in the summer since I'm retired.

Singing girl, you might want to limit your consumption of soy, there are several on-line articles claiming that soy can cause many diseases including osteoporosis and estrogen receptor breast cancer. I have posted what I read about regarding the dangers of soy in the past. I avoid all foods with soy or soy derivatives, In addition, most soy sold in the U.S. is genetically modified (GMO). I read only a tiny amount of organic fermented tofu should be consumed. It's a disgrace that you can't find hardly anything in the supermarket that doesn't contain soy (even Italian bread)!

I don't find the cost of using 4 capsules of e-zorb daily that expensive, it costs about the same as Citrical if you figure it out.

Note to Phyllis: I just read that consumption of veggies and fruits improve bone mineralization, I try to buy beans with the highest calcium content, but I find it easier to get calcium from dairy sources also, you have to eat six times more calcium veggies to get the about the same calcium as 1 cup of yogurt.

Last edited by jacal5; 08-09-2008 at 09:46 AM.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:04 AM   #33
(female)

singingirl HB User

hi - i am amazed!!! soy promotes osteop? OMG, it's like they say "everything causes cancer." i have been taking soy isoflavones that my OB/GYN recommended a long time ago for hot flashes, etc., which i really do not get. but since the diagnosis of osteop, i started taking the actual daily dosage of it which is 2 caps. i'm going to have to read more on that. actually, i don't eat that much soy, tofu occasionally when i feel like being creative, plus whatever i get from foods containing soy, which from what you say is a lot. i just took my a.m. dose of the Ezorb - by itself - in water and am drinking coffee. now i am reading that i should be taking it with food. damn, could i do something right here??? thanks for your post, you sound very informed on this stuff. i'm trying to get there myself. thanks again and have a nice Sunday everyone.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #34
Senior Veteran
(female)

Singingirl,

You are doing everything right by educating yourself. I must tell you that I heard a few days ago on the news that taking vitamins with your morning coffee is not recommended because caffeine blocks absorption.

You can type in soy in the search box below the Health Boards title and
several posts will come up regarding the dangers of soy and why soy can cause osteoporosis.

I'm glad you don't eat lots of soy, and the fermented tofu you are buying for yourself is a lot better than the soy in processed foods on the supermarket shelf. Try not to eat processed food containing soy or soy derivatives.

Unfortunately, soy got "Americanized." The chocolate cake we bring home from the supermarket is really made from three or four soybean ingredients, it really disgusts me that a pile of genetically modified beans are in the disguised form of chocolate cake!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #35
(female)

jlbrow7 HB User

Heya Singingirl!

Don't feel bad about walking vs running (in or out of the sun). It sounds like you are doing just fine!

To help you keep things in perspective: what if you couldn't walk (much) or run, and couldn't tolerate heat. 'Tis moi! All I can do is take eZorb and Citracal+D and keep on keeping on.

Don't sweat the details.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi jacal...its good to know that fruits and veggies are good for your bones as well as the rest of you. We are big produce (our garden is doing well) eaters here so that an easy one to stick to. I never gotten into soy other than soynuts and my husband wouldn't go for it so its an easy thing not to do. I try to avoid processed foods, i guess its good that i like to cook and make most things from scratch. I've always heard that if you shop the perimeter of the store you'll do just fine in your selections.

hey singingirl...i love hummus and know so many others who do too. the bowl i made for our gathering was a big hit. You said you buy it..i have a recipe that is very much like store bought, but much cheaper. Other than the jar of tahini (that makes 5 or 6 batches) its very cheap to make at home with most things you already ahve on hand. If you'd like the recipe i'll post it for you. Hummus is a good calcium source (the garbanzo beans), fiber and protein. It's a snack you can feel good about eating.

take care...phyllis

Old 08-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #37
(female)

Myth HB User

maybe you ladies could start a new thread on diet/ recipies for osteoporosis
Im sure others would be interested

Old 08-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #38
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Phyllis,

I'm glad you eat healthy and cook your own meals. I have tomatoes and basil growing in the garden. A few days ago I was watching a program on organic farming, and people have formed co-ops and pay a fee to get organic food delivered to them. Some people are also growing their own crops on land farmers set aside for them, and they claim buying the food in a co-op can cost less than buying produce at the supermarket.

Hi Myth,

I like that idea, maybe we can gather all the osteo recipies and diet ideas and write a book to sell on one of those popular on-line book sellers and donate the money to osteoporosis research to help scientists come up with safer drugs.

Last edited by jacal5; 08-12-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #39
(female)

singingirl HB User

phyllis - i don't know how i missed your post offering me the recipe for hummus. i spend a fortune on those little containers. so, yes, post it if you have time.
jacal - it's amazing to hear this info about caffeine blocking absorption of vitamins, but i wouldn't doubt that. though, wasn't there something on the news just recently about everybody should now drink more caffeine?? it's like they have you coming and going. it's like what my friend said about RXs and herbal supplements, etc., there will always be something that THEY will come out with that causes cancer, or promotes heart disease or osteop. but since you posted that, i have still been drinking the coffee, maybe one and a half cups in the morning, but i am waiting to take the vitamins until a bit later when i eat something, and i definitely stopped taking the Ezorb on an empty stomach, now taking it with food as well. p.s. i made that big old bag of kale the other night - it actually was pretty great! and if my son ate it and said he liked it, i must have done something right.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #40
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi singingirl..i posted the recipe under the new thread "osteo friendly recipes". Let me know how you like it after you make it. take care..phyllis

Old 08-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #41
Senior Veteran
(female)

Singingirl: I think the report said coffee promotes health, I think they meant the coffee bean was healthy, I don't know if they were referring to the caffeine. I was looking for organic instant coffee the other day in Trader's Joes but didn't find any. I was wondering if organic instant coffee is available anyplace.

I bought broccolirabe today and made it with garlic, olive oil and sausage over ziti, it was really good. I almost didn't buy it because it was $3.00 a pound and the kale was .99 a pound, but Mom said she rather have the broccolirabe so I bought it.

I have trouble with taking vitamins in the morning, because if I eat oat bran cereal I don't take any vitamins until later in the morning, but then I run out of time sometimes during the day and night to take all of them, it knocks my schedule off. Some vitamins shouldn't be taken at the same time as calcium, like magnesium, and vitamin C, so it complicates everything. I also take supplements for cholesterol control like Policosanol, plant sterols, niacin, and a muscle relaxant for back spasms, and I don't want to end up eating all day to take food with all these supplements, so my weight doesn't go up.

The only days my vitamin eating schedule comes out right is the days I start taking them early for breakfast when I'm eating eggs or something without oat bran. Now we can't take vitamins with coffee so I can't take them with any breakfast, this is so complicated!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #42
(female)

babyboomer56 HB User

I know how you feel. I recently fell at work and went to a orthopedic doctor. He told me I have osteoporosis. Was diagnosed with ostepenia about 3 years ago. Was told to take 1200 mg of calcium with D a day. I thought all was well till now.
I also take an antiseizure drug gabapentin and asmanex, anotherr bad thing to take related to the bones. I have asthma also. I take the gabapentin for a mouth neurolgy.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #43
Senior Veteran
(female)

My neighbor told me that there was an article in the paper today regarding grapefruit causing estrogen receptor breast cancer (just like soy) and advising post-menopausal women not to eat it. I figured this wasn't off topic because we were discussing that fruits and veggies are good for bone health.

I guess we are lucky in that if we had really good bones from lots of estrogen we would be more at risk for breast cancer.

Last edited by jacal5; 08-15-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #44
(female)

singingirl HB User
Wink Re: Ezorb side effects...warning

babyboomer56 - it's nice to here i'm not alone with an aggravating circumstance of taking an anti-seizure medication and now find out that it causes bone loss. it's very frustrating, but my hands are tied. i am not going to do any changing at this point after taking this same drug for over twenty years - ooh, scary thought. i really have settled into a groove with the Ezorb and other vits. and supplements. i'm not overdoing it with the Ezorb, only taking two teaspoons of it along with one 500 mg of calcium and getting the rest from food, - oh, and also a caramel Viactiv cause they're so easy to pop....

Old 08-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #45
(female)

peppurr HB User

I went to a supposedly esteemed Naturopath a year ago and as a result I'm taking a combination of calcium (citrate, carbonate & glucomate) with magnesium. I also take Vit D year round because of where I live. The amount of sunshine we get is worthless.

I have heard you shouldn't take Ca with fiber. I've been gorging on blueberries for breakfast lately with my Ca and just found out they are full of fiber so ya can't win. It's pretty hard to figure out how much ca you're getting in your meals so hopefully it's all working out in the end.

I was going around in circles for awhile because I'm such a perfectionist and want to do everything right but no more. I've got to live. I even have a couple of pepsis a week now in our hot weather. Sure tastes good! I did quit regular coffee though a couple of years ago so maybe Myth I'm still benefiting with the bean. lol

I go to osteo pilates twice a week for weight bearing and walk with a 5 lb weight on my back a few times a week. I also take Strontium citrate.

Ya do what ya can!

Thanks for all that info on soy! My daughter recently became a vegetarian and I'll pass it along.

Last edited by peppurr; 08-16-2008 at 07:25 PM.

Closed Thread