It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 01:25 AM   #1
(female)

Myth HB User
Ezorb side effects...warning

it seems if there are any side effects to be had from treatment for osteoporosis, I get them...I have been taking ezorb for just a few short weeks at their recommended dose of 6 caps per day.
first thing I noticed was my nails become very strong ,(not that they were weak to start with), but that was a positive
within the first week my hips were aching & I developed a click in my right hip
I also could not sleep ...and Im not one to suffer insomnia ..ever
ezorb does say it will 'energises you' ( it speeds up your metabolism) but I was averaging a few hours of sleep per night & worst of all is I wasnt tired the next day or the next
I then reduced my dose of ezorb by half & the aching in the hips subsided slightly but not the insomnia, I further reduced ezorb to just 1 cap per day
which is the equivilant of 1120mg ezorb calcium and contacted Ezorb, this was their response
quote- ' Ezorb was not developed in june and you were the first person to take it '....followed by hype
their own website says it was first marketed in the year 2000
......what the ????
I then searched & searched for any scientific studies on ezorb and found NO reputable clinical studies for ezorb ... except for one in China a country well known for scientific corruption
ezorb is just calcium & excessive calcium is dangerous as bone is made up of more than just calcium...excessive calcium causes osteoclasts & osteoblasts
to replicate prematurely this weakens bones not strengthens them
I discontinued ezorb altogether and am back on calcium citrate combo,magnesium,vit D , & excerise
my hips no longer ache & I sleep like a log....as normal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
(female)

Canna HB User
Re: Ezorb side effects...warning

Myth, to me it amazes me of how many supplements r on market for Osteoporosis and again everyone's body responds differently. It is good you were monitoring your intake etc and were aware of side effects. It pays to be on top of things with your own body.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
(female)

singingirl HB User

you know, all this reading about calcium supplements, the good, bad and ugly, i have no idea if i'm doing the right thing by starting the Ezorb. It's only been four days that i've been taking it, but i felt i had to start something. my doctor wanted me to come in for a consultation to "talk about it." i said - talk about what?? i'm not going on a pill." well, that didn't make him too happy. he said, well, there's other things - estrogen, Evista. Isn't Evista a breast cancer drug? Even the ads on this website want you to buy their books and buy this remedy and that one. I'm really confused, and i don't know if i should invest in more bottles of this Ezorb. Any ideas?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:03 AM   #4
(female)

Myth HB User

hi indosonu hope this thread has helped ,please read my new post on excessive calcium consumption its an eye opener
canna it is most important to listen to your body,fortunately mine seems to be a barometer
singingirl it is true there is a lot of treatments for osteoporosis and
we are all confused & looking for something that will really help
I have no experience with evista , cant handle Hrt, and I certainly cant recommend ezorb , I do know that vit D is important , as is some calcium but not too much as bone is made up of a lot more than just calcium , magnesium is also necessary , along with excercise..strontium is also becoming popular as a treatment but I reacted to that too ,however I might try reintroducing that again at a lower dose

myth

Old 07-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

I also tried ezorb a few months back when I was diagnosed with osteopenia at the recommended dose. After 3 days, I too noticed my hips and the front of my shin bones aching. I felt lightheaded and not myself. I discontinued it after a week and figured I was too sensitive to it. I decided to stick with calcium citrate and diet and exercise for the time being and will consider other options down the line if I need them. Very interesting, Myth. I did read somewhere that the united states does have one of the highest levels of calcium and dairy consumption but we also have one of the highest rates of osteoporosis. What to make of that? Blessings - jrose

Old 07-25-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
(female)

Myth HB User

it has been known for sometime that there is a correlation between calcium/dairy consumption and osteoporosis, usually in the more developed countries and the countries that consume the least amount of calcium/dairy have the lowest rates of osteoporosis, so it confirms to me that excessive calcium accelerates bone turnover and since the amount of times you can do that is fixed .. excess calcium actually ages bones faster. I think we need to find a balance as the bone matrix is made up of more than just calcium and
ezorbs outrageous recommendations of consuming up to 4000mg of calcium which is 4 times above the amount generally accepted ,can only be harmful in the long term
hopefully people will read this & learn from our experience

Myth

Old 07-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Myth: I don't know anything about Ezorb, but I was just startled by your statement that they recommend 4,000 mg a day, are they serious!! If you add up your daily dietary intake, plus that figure, that's over the upper tolerable limit.

What does Ezorb have in it, is it just Calcium or are there other minerals?

If it's just calcium, that's way too much...

Have you had your calcium levels checked recently? Like serum total cal or urinary cal?

Just curious since I had no idea they recommended taking that much-yikes

Good Luck...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 07-25-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
(female)

Myth HB User

ezorb is just calcium & nothing else, they claim it is sourced from vegetables
their recommendation is for a person who weighs less than 160lbs is
8 capsules a day...each capsule has 560mg of ezorb calcium,... totalling 4480 mg per day and for those who weigh between 160lbs-210 lbs 10 capsules=5600 mgs per days........over the top indeed and Im so cross with myself for trying it as I should have known better
the last time I asked for a calcium test I was told it cant be measured ....should go doctor shopping yet again but Im so tired of the medical merry go round

regards Myth

Old 07-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Myth: Wow that's even worse than I thought, and weight has nothing to do with the amount you should take. What kind of Dr told you that calcium can't be measured? I've never heard of a Dr not knowing how to check it. It's a simple blood test. You can also check how much calcium excretion you have in your urine by doing a 24 hour urine test-for calcium and other things. The blood test for calcium is a "total serum calcium" test. The total serum cal test measures both bound and unbound calcium in your body. There's also a *serum ionized calcium* test, and that only measures your unbound (free) calcium. That much calcium could cause a whole lot of problems. How long did you take that much each day? It sure sounds like a scam, they tell you to take that much so you run out of it faster and have to reorder. Everyone should look up UL (upper tolerable limits) on all vitamins/minerals.

Do you have any muscle twitching (around the face)?

Good Luck...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 07-26-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

OK. I'm looking at the bottle of ezorb that I bought and now am not going to use. It is made up of both two things: calcium aspartate anhydrous 1120mg, and elemental calcium 146mg. (These number are for 2 capsules) I think elemental calcium is just the regular calcium you would find in something like citracal so 3 times that amount won't kill you but who knows what Calcium aspartate anydrous is?!?!?. They claim it is a much more absorbable form of calcium but you can hardly find any information about it anywhere. 1120mg is an awfully large number and 3 times that amount is huge! Makes me wonder what my body was absorbing that was so disagreeable. Also, if it is completely safe, why isn't Ezorb more forth-coming about what it is and where it comes from? One interesting point made in an article I ran across commented that "there are many substances that can take up residence in you bones - even lead can build up in your bones and cause increased bone mass (YIKES)! No thank you. I think I will continue to investigate options that are openly under research (ie strontium). Blessings - jrose

Old 07-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Another quote related to Ezorb:

"Bear in mind that should a new and better form of calcium come along that has made it past rigorous scientific scrutiny, you'll read about it and hear about it from the mainstream media. When checking out new products that sound too good to be true, look for some independent documentation. Are scientific studies cited by name on the Web site? Will you find those studies if you look them up in the medical literature? You can search the huge ... databases of medical journals.... If you don't find any relevant studies, there probably aren't any."

Good Points I think - Blessings - jrose

Old 07-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #12
(female)

Myth HB User

hi desertbloom would you believe my endo told me calcium cant be measured?
she also couldnt figure out why I would want to take magnesium with calcium
I should have asked her which weeties pack she got her qualifications from?
I took ezorb for about a week & half lowering dosage till I took virtually none
but what gets to me is ezorbs response when confronted with some hard questions..... they denied it was even developed in June & I was the first person to take it.....definately a scam
I dont have any muscle twitching around the face fortunately
hi jbrose the only study done for ezorb was in china ...ezorb is another suspect product from china
their website says ezorb was developed/sold since year 2000 , probabley another lie because if it was on the market for 8 years we would have heard about it sooner or at least someone would have done clinical studies on it

Myth

Old 07-26-2008, 05:49 AM   #13
(female)

singingirl HB User

hi - i have to jump in here on this conversation because what i'm reading is really concerning me. i got my first bottle of ezorb last saturday, so today i will be taking it seven days. of course, they say to start with a loading dose, so i am taking four teaspoons of the powder each day. i haven't noticed any ill feelings so far, but i certainly don't disagree with a lot that has been said about the lack of information that can be found on it, etc. i just know i need to do something. i was just diagnosed with this a couple of weeks ago, a shock to me. i should be receiving the copy of the scan from the doc in today's mail, but she told me over the phone that the hip was a -2.75 and the spine was much better but still osteopenia. i don't even know what that -2.75 means yet except that he (the doc) says it is bad and wants me to go on a medication or estrogen. i really do not want to. i read that strontium is for relief of bone pain in patients with skeletal metastases. if so, is that something that we should take??

Old 07-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

There is a lot more information and clinical research being done on Strontium Ranelate which is widely used in europe to treat osteo. Strontium Ranelate isn't FDA approved as a treatment here in the United States but you can buy Strontium Citrate at health food stores. It is strongly believed that Strontium is the active component and the the Ranelate or Citrate is simply the delivery medium so the theory is that Strontium Citrate will be every bit as safe and effective as Strontium Ranelate. Again - there is very little if any research on Strontium Citrate but I think you can make an educated decision based on studies on Strontium Ranelate. As for me, the jury is still out. I too am Osteopenia. If I do have to take meds down the line, I think I would consider Strontium because at least it is being studied and information about it is out in the open and recognized in the medical community. Ezorb - seems shrouded in a lot of hype and mystery.

The Following User Says Thank You to jrose1358 For This Useful Post:
JerseyGirl56 (04-16-2012)
Old 07-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi ladies: Well since jrose says that the elemental calcium is 146 mgs I feel a little better, but not by much. You would have to calculate your dietary intake and then add ezorb by ? (how many). According to the RDA, if you want to go by that, the recommendation is 1200 mgs for a day in divided doses. That 1,200 mgs is for those over 50. Can some one tell me again how many pills/spoonfulls you have to take, and 2 spoonfuls is 146 mgs of elemental cal, that's not much depending on how many you take, here I was thinking you were actually getting 4500 mgs a day. Aspartate is a buffering agent and anhydrous just means it doesn't have any water in it. Buffering agents prevent changes to their PH. I guess I should read the label on this to figure it out, but I don't see why you can't do the following below---much easier, in my opinion and a whole lot safer.... When ever you see claims about some new calcium, my humble advice would be to disregard it. Go by the tried and true info that's been around forever...

What's wrong with getting most of your calcium from your diet, then if you need to supplement that add some... Check out the link below, it should explain most anything you need to know about calcium, including how to calculate your daily totals, which forms have the most elemental calcium (which should be your primary concern) and the UL (upper tolerable limits) = 2,500 mgs.

Good luck on all of this

[url]http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/calcium.asp#h10[/url]

Last edited by DesertBloom; 07-26-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Closed Thread