It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
(female)

Annie64 HB User
Question Kyphoplasty and Vertbroplasty

Hi! I am new to the boards. I have a T-10 fracture and was wondering if anyone has had either Kyphoplasty or Verbroplasty for fractures. My doc said that I could wait and it would heal on its own in 6 -8 weeks or I could get the MRI and get one of these procedures. I would appreciate any experience anyone has had with this. I would like the pros and the cons.Thanks so much ahead of time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Kyphoplasty and Vertbroplasty

I found out that I have 3 fractures which sort of showed up on xray. I then had an MRI and it showed the vertebraes were 90% of normal and one was 80% of normal. The MRI is good to get because it shows more detail. I don't know if I'd agree to surgery just because I wanted an MRI if that is what your doctor meant.

I have a follow up app't in December so I don't know anymore at this point. It seemed important from the MRI report whether the normal curve shape in the T Spine was still present and it was.

Are you having pain? I was in a car accident and then noticed pain but after getting the MRI it appeared that these fractures were there before the accident. If these fractures I have were going to heal in 6-8 weeks it would have already happened but possibly would have to be immobilized in order for that to happen, so I'm not sure if you have correct information or not about fractures healing. I'm new to this so your doctor could be perfectly correct though.

I don't have much pain at all so I think I'll leave these alone for now.

Last edited by taape; 10-07-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
(female)

Annie64 HB User

Hi Taape

Thanks for the info. I am just trying to decide whether to have the MRI or not. I really don't understand how these fractures heal on there own. From your info, I realize now that they can tell alot more about the size of the fracture and what it is doing in relation to the rest of the spine

I do have some pain and can tell when I have done too much. I really don't know what I did but the pain started about 3 weeks ago and has gotten better.

I just was wondering about the Kyphoplasty and Vertbroplasty and if anyone had had success with it. Hopefully someone will come along that has had these done and let me know.

Thanks again for getting back to me so quickly....I appreciate any and all comments about this...your doctors are not always so helpful with questions.

Annie64

Old 10-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Oh, your welcome. If your insurance plan pays for an MRI, I'd go get it.

There was someone here who had one or other of those procedures so I hope they see this post.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
(female)

lynm27 HB User
Angry Re: Kyphoplasty and Vertbroplasty

Hi Annie, I also have a T10 fracture. I lifted a bucket of water late March this year and having a lot of pain only controlled by 100mg Tramadol SR morning and night. Your post has come at a good time for me too as I am about to see a new Rheumi about Polymyalgia Rheumatica that I have for nearly 3 years now. The only pain relief for this is Prednisolone which leaches calcium from bones....family history of osteoporosis too... so I was probably high risk anyway to have this happen...
It still came as scary. I have been feeling quite precious, miserable and even anxious about the pain and the ongoing outcome ect. Tried to drop the Pred dosage but had a huge flare and now on a higher dose: thats why I am going for another opinion / option from another Dr.
Hope we all get some positive feedback.
Taape we have been talking about this for awhile good to know you are not having too much pain,
Hugs Lyn

Last edited by lynm27; 10-08-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: had not finished

Old 10-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
(female)

Annie64 HB User

Hi Lynm27
Thanks for the reply. It would be great if you would post when you have any info from your doc. I am thinking of getting a second opinion also and if I decide to, I will post with my info. I hate not being able to do what I want to do. Annie64

Closed Thread