It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
(female)

sandcastles HB User
Fractured bones

Hello,

I had three bones surgically fractured recently (14 weeks ago). The Hallux (large toe) and the Calcaneus (heel) and third toe. Healing has been very slow (t-scores are from -2.8 to -3.2 (Spine - hip).

I am on Forteo (5 months). I am 50 years old.

My question is: Have any of you ladies had any type of surgical fractures and how have you done as far as bone growth and healing?

I could not walk without extreme pain before the surgery - I held out on the surgery for as long as I could.

I am trying to stay positive (challenging to say the least) thank you for any suggestions.

Sandcastles

Last edited by sandcastles; 11-01-2008 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Forteo

Old 11-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Fractured bones

Hello and Welcome,
I had an ankle avulsion fracture this Spring although it wasn't a surgical fracture. I was worried that I wouldn't heal because my T Scores are so low but I did heal. It just took a little bit longer and I'm not on any medication for osteoporosis, about 8 weeks instead of 6 weeks. I was also really careful to not take any chances of reinjuring my ankle before the fracture was all the way healed by keeping the boot on like my doctor recommended.

Since your taking Forteo and hopefully it's working you will heal without too much trouble. I would make sure that you eat some dietary calcium and take calcium supplements if it's recommended by your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User
Re: Fractured bones

Just wondering...would a "surgical fracture" heal any differently than an accidental fracture? It just seems to me that each would heal at the same density and speed.

I can identify with the toe and heel fractures! Almost 12 yrs. ago, (I was 50) I broke my heel...all the toes on that foot...and a little bone on the side of the foot from a 12" fall off a utility stool at school! Youch! I ended up with a cast.... then that boot for 3 months straight...not being able to put any weight at all on that foot for the entire time.

Being a person who never sits...and just getting ready for our busiest time at school...I found myself sitting at home feeling extremely sorry for myself. I hated those crutches...but it was the only "transportation" I had! I sat mummified in front of the TV...but did learn a few new words from the Jerry Springer show!!

An Adult Ed student of mine who is a Physicians Asst. insisted I get the DEXA scan...the 3 Drs. who had taken care of me never even thought of osteoporosis.....and I was diagnosed with severe osteo at age 50.

Back to the bone-healing...the toes on that foot are all nice and straight...while the toes on the "normal" foot remain gnarly and crooked! (too much goin' barefooted in my younger days!) The heel does remind me of what happened on cold days...like the wrist and arm that have also fractured in the last couple years.

Hope this helps.....Pam

Closed Thread