It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Fosteum...new osteo option...

This is a portion of an article i come across. I've never heard of this before, but since its FDA approved it may be worth asking about, but since it is new i doubt if too many dr. know about. It sounds like a much safer choice than the drugs now available.

***I just found a thread from last year about this..sorry to repeat. i must have missed that discussion. For those without risk factors it could still be a viable option. take care...phyllis

Fosteum is the brand name of new Osteopenia and Osteoporosis treatment product. It is not a drug. It is an FDA prescription medical food . Yes, you do need a prescription from your health care provider in order to buy it.

Questions you might have:

* I have never heard of a 'medical food'. What sort of food is it? This is a FDA approved is a special blend of three things:
1. Genistein which is derived from fermented soy
2. Chelazome , a form of zinc and
3. Cholecalciferol which is the scientific name of Vitamin D3.

* How does it work?

Your bones, like all the parts of your body, are constantly being renewed.Cells called, Osteoclasts remove 'old bone' and those called Osteoblasts build your new bone. Fosteum actson both of these bone remodeling cells. It slows the work of osteoclasts and at the same time stimulates your bone building osteoblasts.

* How effective is this medical food? Of course the main question is, "Is it effective??

The article states that those using this medical food showed average gain in bone density of approximately 5-6% per year over taking only calcium and vitamin D alone.

Also, a recent note said: "a segmentation analysis of the patients who completed the third year extension of the original study. Of those patients who started the study as osteoporotic(T-scores -2.5 to -3.6), over 74% were only osteopenic at the end of three years. They actually moved from one diagnostic class to a less serious class. And it's done without GERD,esophageal ulcers, deep bone and muscle pain, osteonecrosis of the jaw, etc. "

Last edited by phylwill1152; 11-06-2008 at 07:01 AM. Reason: found previous thread...opps...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
(female)

Turquoise HB User
Re: Fosteum...new osteo option...

I haven't seen anything about this product. Thanks, phylwill, I am going to research it and ask my dr. about it.

I'm surprised there haven't been more studies on it. Hope it's not as expensive as all the other osteoporosis drugs.

Turquoise

Old 11-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CrohnieToo HB User
Re: Fosteum...new osteo option...

Soy oils, yes. But soy, no thank you. Ask dog and horse people about soy and soy meal.

Closed Thread