It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User
Anyone else receiving the "new style" Forteo pen ?

I picked up this months' Forteo yesterday and found a different looking pen inside the familiar box!

Instructions were included...and it's much easier! No priming! No "clicking"...very easy to use!

Just a plunger on the end that measures it out when withdrawn. It's a lot fatter in the hand, but was very quick to administer.

Anybody else getting these?...........Pam

Old 11-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
(female)

sandcastles HB User
Re: Anyone else receiving the "new style" Forteo pen ?

Pam:

Great news! I, personally don't care for this Forteo pen.

Thank you,

Sandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
(female)

kattmaven HB User

I just started forteo 2 months ago. The pen I have has to be primed, etc. so i guess I must have an "old" style one. I will ask the pharmacist about the new pen although I have gotten used to this and it only takes me a minute or less to do the priming, shot, etc. so that's not too bad.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
(female)

retroro HB User

I started on Forteo right after Thanksgiving, and the "new" pen is the only pen I've ever had. I like it. I was nervous about injecting myself. With the new pen, it's easy. However, I still tense up when it's time to stick the needle in.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
(female)

KATC45 HB User

HI,
Just received my new pen yesterday and I love it. The old pen you had to prime, this is much easier. Good luck with taking the Forteo and I'm glad you found this site, it is so helpful.
kat

Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
(female)

paprbkrtr HB User

I still have the old pen and have a question ... what is the best size needle to get for the least discomfort?

Thank you!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
(female)

Rosegarden HB User

I got the new pen. It's convenient not to have to prime, but the bulk of it is a little harder to handle in feminine hands. I believe what this has done is reduced the amount of product Lily has to put into the device. So it's saving them money. I wish they would pass a little of this along to me since I have a hefty co-pay.

That said--I'm nearing the end of the course of treatment. April 1. I seem to have become reluctant to do the injection every day. I have to force myself. Losing enthusiasm I guess.

As for the needle size, of course you should use the size directed by your doctor. Check with him/her before making any changes. I started with a very short needle, which pleased me. Then my mail order prescription provider included a longer needle with my shipment, and I was horrified. But I tried it, and actually it seems to hurt less (not that the injection really "hurts" anyway). So my dr. said I could use either size, so I've stuck with the longer ones. Sorry I don't have the measurements on hand.

Susan

Old 01-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Hi paprbkrtr...I'll be finished with the Forteo injections in March. The size suggested for me was 3/16...but have read here about some who use 5/16 size.

I sure agree Rosegarden...it's a handful to hold!

I had another challenge with the last perscription I got...(husband picked it up)

Each month, for the last (almost) 2 years, we've gone in and got it. When picked up this last month, I was surprised that they sent 3 pens home!

When I called to ask about it, I was told that picking up three months worth at one time actually saved me $$...usually each co-pay is $20...by doing it this way, I was only charged for 2 months ($40) The girl said this happened because my Dr. perscribed for 3 months when they called to refill.

Hmmmmm....EVERY time I've picked it up, I've noticed it had been written for 3 months! How come this was never explained to me previously? This means I could have saved $$ each time by getting 3 pens at once and only paying for the 2 months!

If others are seeing their perscriptions written for the 3 month period...look into this! Forteo is a VERY expensive med...and I'm so thankful for the good insurance I have, but could this make a difference for any of you???

Pam

Old 01-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I've used both 3/16 and 5/16 needle size and both worked. Neither really was uncomfortable.

From what I gather the new pens don't need priming so instead of filling twice as much (one for the priming, and one for the actual injection), there's less in each pen. Is this what's happening? What happens if you make a mistake? It's nice to have a little extra medication in the pen.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
(female)

grannyinpain HB User

I am realy new at this Forteo Pen They sent the dvd on the old pen but I got the new pen (talk about confusing for the first shot)the new pen is eally easy..today was my 5th night taking the forteo injection.How many times do you have to use this before the dizziness stops?And does the injections really make a difference in your bone loss?I have severe osteo the dr. said my hips are going to fast he said in a yr i will be wheelchair bound,I also have a broke bone in my hip&back due to this osteo.Need advice 44yr old granny of 3 grandchildren.Help!grannyinpain

Old 02-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I don't have answers to the new pen questions because I only used the old one. But I did gain a significant amount of bone density after two years on Forteo. It never caused me dizzyness. You might want to contact your doctor about it.

Last edited by taape; 02-04-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #12
(female)

grannyinpain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taape View Post
I don't have answers to the new pen questions because I only used the old one. But I did gain a significant amount of bone density after two years on Forteo. It never caused me dizzyness. You might want to contact your doctor about it.
Thank You for your response,still going to try the forteo pen dont have much choice that or more broke bones May God Bless

Old 02-26-2009, 05:07 AM   #13
(female)

ksm04 HB User

I have now been using the new pen for 2 months, and no problems. I am however getting a good deal of hip pain that wakes me up at night. My endo said just to stop using the pen for 2 weeks and see what happens. Has anyone else had this experience?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
(female)

ArtyTart17 HB User

Hi, I was given Forteo, obviously new pen design as I can't remember priming. My endocrinologist had me on the 18 month once only course of Forteo. I have thousands of spinal and foot fractures. After a rear end car accident, I recently had a hip replacement and a further surgery to remove my greater tracanta which the surgeon broke off during the first surgery and it was not healing [very painful]

I was on Forteo from 2003 to 2005.

What is the recommended course of Forteo in the USA? Even though it has been very helpful to me I am surprised by the notion of taking a longer than the recommended 18 month treatment here in Australia.

Here in Australia there is no insurance cover for Forteo but I was very fortunate to have a Medical Insurance company that saw the benefit of covering my Forteo rather than the possible months I might spend in hospital with ongoing fractures.

My osteoporosis is 'astronaut' similar as I had a period of weightlessness at the age of 13 that prevented my bones from hardening. Despite this my first fracture was a 5th meta-tarsal fracture, typical sports injury at the age of 34.

dx MS 1984
dx Osteoporsis 2002

Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
(female)

mitsy HB Usermitsy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksm04 View Post
I have now been using the new pen for 2 months, and no problems. I am however getting a good deal of hip pain that wakes me up at night. My endo said just to stop using the pen for 2 weeks and see what happens. Has anyone else had this experience?
I've has aching in my fingers and hands but it will last for 1-2 weeks and then go away. By the time I think I should call the dr. it goes away

Closed Thread