It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

BrittleD HB User
Strontium and other prescriptions meds

Hi,
I'm thinking about taking Strontium, for osteoporosis. I have 3.3 in hips. I dont think I can take Fosomax, because I think I'm getting a lot of muscle pain from it. Anyway does anyone know if it's okay to take it if your on Cholestrol prescriptions and Thyroid prescriptions. I'm going to the doctor this week and I will ask if she thinks it would cause a problem, but I'm afraid she wont even listen to me since it isn't a prescription and will just try me on something else, which I do not want to do. So I'm thinking about going on my own and just using the Strontium. Is anyone else on other medications while taking it.

Thank you
Britt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User
Re: Strontium and other prescriptions meds

I'm also doing simvastatin and Synthroid along with strontium (and a bunch of other stuff,as well). Most conventional physicians, as you have no doubt gathered, take a pretty dim view of this self-treatment approach so are not likely to be especially forthcoming with this sort of information.
Mine rolls his eyes but, mercifully, keeps his negativity to himself. If he had any objections to this particular combination of medications, he did not share it with me and no news, as they say, is good news. So far - so good.
Good luck with the strontium. Seems the best alternative, at least until the new Amgen product is on the market.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Britt... I take lipitor and synthroid first thing in the morning before eating anything and the vitamin and supplements after lunch or sometimes in the afternoon. I take the strontium at bedtime on a mostly (i sometimes have a light snack ) empty stomach. That time frame works since calcium can't be taken near synthroid or strontium. Turtlelady is right your dr. probably won't know much about strontium and most likely isn't interested in learning about it. Mainstream doctors don't like to recommend things that aren't FDA approved.

i've been taking strontium for almost 3 years and did show gains after 9 months of use. I'm due for a DEXA in July and am I'm hoping that after 2 years i will be even better. take care...phyllis

Old 02-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

hi britt- I take lipitor 10 mg everyday. Lithobid 300mg 2x day. nd every three weeks I go for a cancer treatment called herceptin. I have had no side effects whatever from the strontiumexcept an increase in bone density.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Thank you very much everyone

I guess I can fit it in some place then. I take 3 calcium tablets through out the day, Vitamin D3 and other vitamins also through out the day. I'll try it at night. I take my last calcium at 9 PM would it be okay to take the Strontium at 11 PM or is that too close to my last calcium?

It sounds like it shoud be fine with what I take then. I'm also on semvastatin and synthroid.

I hope it works as well for me as has for the rest of you.

I haven't heard of the new Amgen product. Is it suppose to be better?

Thank you

Britt

Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
(female)

The new drug from Amgen is called Denosumab and it is said to be representative of an entirely new class of osteoporosis meds. It has had great results in the trials and is, we are told, less plagued by the awful side effects that keep so many of us away from the bisphosphonate drugs. (I hope someone out there can explain how the stuff actually works.) In any event, they expect to get approval to start selling this sometime in the fall of this year. I am certainly looking forward to having this option.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

I read somewhere, sorry I don't remember where it was-that they were unsure about the dreaded side effect Jaw necrosis, when it comes to denusomab. And also that it may have the same side effects as the other biophosphates.

Last edited by tomatojuice; 02-09-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
(female)

It's not a bisphosphonate or even related. It is a monoclonal antibody product and, from the early trials, subject to fewer and much less severe side effects. Looks very promising, I think.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-12-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: read the rules.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Thank you everyone for being so helpful.

Britt

Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Sorry I didn't word it correctly. I know that it is not a biophosphate. some doctors were trying to push me into taking something. And I did read that they were unsure as yet,if it may cause jaw necrosis.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-12-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
(female)

Light Heart HB User
Cool Re: Strontium and other prescriptions meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittleD View Post
Hi,
I'm thinking about taking Strontium, for osteoporosis. I have 3.3 in hips. I dont think I can take Fosomax, because I think I'm getting a lot of muscle pain from it. Anyway does anyone know if it's okay to take it if your on Cholestrol prescriptions and Thyroid prescriptions. I'm going to the doctor this week and I will ask if she thinks it would cause a problem, but I'm afraid she wont even listen to me since it isn't a prescription and will just try me on something else, which I do not want to do. So I'm thinking about going on my own and just using the Strontium. Is anyone else on other medications while taking it.

Thank you
Britt.
Good luck in your quest. I have a call in to the pharmacist to find out about strontium interfering with Levothyroxin (i.e. how far apart do yo need to take them?). I take Levothyroxin first thing in morning for Graves Thyroid disease or if I wake up in early am and go back to sleep I will take it then. It is required that you wait an hour before eating after taking the Levothyroxin. I don't have a thyroid gland. Fosomax and Boniva have been prescribed for me for the osteoporosis, but they cause way too many problems to continue. When I took the Fosomax, it had to be taken first thing in the am after getting up (cannot lie down after you take it); wait an hour; then take the Levothyroxin, wait an hour; then eat breakfast. Because of fschedule and fatigue (low blood sugar and CFIDS/ME) it is often difficult to waiting 2 hours to eat. I am guessing that the strontium does interfere with the Levothyroxin (because calcium and magnesium and other minerals interfere and are required to be taken 4 hours after the levothyroxing So I try to take minerals with lunch and dinner. However I recently read that the calcium and strontium have to be separated by several hours. Before that I was advised to take strontium on an empty stomach.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
(female)

Light Heart HB User

9-3-09
* Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

*Copy and Paste, from other Website, removed by hb-mod, moderator *

This suggest to me:
1.take the strontium first thing in am;
2. wait an hour;
3. take the levothyroxin;
4. wait an hour;
5. eat breakfast;
6.wait 3 more hours;
7.take the calcium & magnesium with lunch or a snack;
8 take calcium and magnesium second dose either with dinner (if eating too late) or 3 hours after dinner with a small snack (glass of soy milk).

Light Heart

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-03-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

cholesterol drugs dont work and shorten your life.

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-03-2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Removed Quote.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Crispy1...I am curious why you said cholesterol drugs don't work and shorten your life.Could you please extrapolate? I have been taking lipitor for over 6 years, and pretty much consider it a miracle drug. My mom passed away at 52 from arteriosclerosis(hardening of the arteries), a stroke. After menopause my cholesterol levels were always over 300. Nothing I did could control it, not diet, nor exercise.Lipitor did the trick. It seems I am genetically disposed to high cholesterol. For me it is a miracle drug.And I have had no side effects whatever. Since I do continue to exercise and eat right, I do take a low dose.

Last edited by tomatojuice; 09-03-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #15
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

This is off topic on an osteoporosis forum but I suggest you read
Statin Drugs Side Effects by Duane Graveline MD
The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr Malcolm Kendrick
Hidden Truths About Cholesterol Lowering Drugs by Joel M Kauffman PhD

Closed Thread