It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
(female)

mbeth50 HB User
Strontium and Bone Scans Problem

Hi everyone,
I havent posted in a long time but I've been taking my strontium every night and calcium, magnesium, Vit D3 and Boron throughout the day. I finally had an appt with a new Endo.. My original Endo insisted I take Actonel etc or become crippled. I have osteopenia (the made up disease)..Well this one today only knows that strontium is next to Floride on the periodic table and that one form of it is legal in England and therefore the verdict is very much out for it here in US... Didnt tell me to stop though and didnt push other pills. I need to wait till Sept when I can have a dexa again (2 years). HOWEVER she doubts the dexa tech would know how to make adjustments for strontium when reading results. So it seems my results will be inaccurate as long as I take strontium. Anyone else have this problem? HOW did you handle it? THANKS>>>>

Old 03-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Strontium and Bone Scans Problem

Hi mbeth..good to see you. when i had a DEXA after being on strontium 9 months i was told to stop taking it 30 prior to the scan. I did that and no adjustments were made to the score. i don't know how accurate it was but even with my own deductions i had improvements. I have a DEXA due this summer (sfter almost 3 years of use) and will probably do the same thing so i have the same conditions for the scan. Enable the Private Message function so i can send you additonal info. take care..phyllis

Last edited by phylwill1152; 03-17-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
(female)

mbeth50 HB User

Ok thats easy I can stop it in the summer then...I thought it had to be read differently...
Oh I believe I can get private messages..It is checked ...so enabled, I believe?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
(male)

PikaB HB User

Perhaps stopping strontium 30 days before the test will not do much good. A recent study titled "Effect of long-term treatment with strontium ranelate on bone strontium content" found that the level of strontium in the bone depended on the length of treatment time (longer treatment time meant higher levels of strontium in the bone), and strontium in the bone can influence DEXA scores years after treatment ends. It was estimated that someone taking strontium ranelate for 8 years, and then stopping for 6 months, would still have 70% strontium retention in the bone.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:10 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

I started taking Strontium a few months ago and I have another Dexa in a few weeks. What effect does taking Strontium have on the results? Does it skew them?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

I doubt that you'll be able to find a DEXA tech person who even understands what Strontium is, let alone knowing how to adjust the machine for it

Since it's not an FDA approved drug, or on the so called ''approved list'' DEXA techies aren't given instructions for this. Many docs wouldn't have the faintest idea either! They're generally only familiar with what the pharmaceutical reps bring them. Notwithstanding, many people do feel satisfied using Strontium and continue to use it regardless of what their docs think. As many have said before: ''We have to be our OWN advocates''. Many cannot support the side effects from Bisphosphonate meds and therefore need to find a satisfactory alternate therapy.

You could use a search engine and type in the search area " Strontium and DEXA scans'' and see what comes up.

Last edited by montesflus; 04-29-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Closed Thread