It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Forteo Treatment to Heal Fractures?

I finally saw the Rheumatologist today after waiting for about a year. She looked at my recent Thorasic spine MRI and saw the fractures and immediately recommended a second 2-year treatment with Forteo. (if my insurance will pay and if all of the blood tests come back ok.) she is looking for any secondary reasons for osteoporosis although last time I was started on Forteo none was found.

It's been a couple of years since I was on Forteo and then did not want to switch to IV bisphosphonates. Does anyone remembers me trying to convince this doctor (and other doctors) to let me continue on it? Well, I may or may not have had these fractures at this time because no films were taken back in 2004 to check. So some advice, it your doctor just assumes you don't have any spinal fractures you might ask for an MRIespecially if you have back pain.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has been treated with Forteo that got a postive result besides increased bone density specifically having a fracture heal? Please let me know. I'm more than willing to go back on the Forteo and want these to heal before it worsens.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
(female)

Rosegarden HB User
Re: Forteo Treatment to Heal Fractures?

Hi Taape,

I started on Forteo 2 years ago April 1, 2007 (I thought it was a cruel joke then.) At the time I had a fractured femur which healed during the two years, but I did also have surgery to stabilize the bone with a rod in June of 2007. I had struggled to try to get the femur to heal for about 18 months prior to the surgery. So this probably does not really address your question, but I share it for what it's worth.

You and Desert Bloom were helpful to me when I posted here in shock two years ago. Thank you both for that. I have just a few more days of injections--and I have to force myself to do it each day because I'm so ready to be done with the whole thing. I actually even "forgot" a few days this month, which I never did during the previous months. I have my bone density report but will wait until I see the dr. tomorrow to try to interpret the results, and I will share here too of course when I understand better.

I have no idea what the doctor will tell me tomorrow. I really don't want to take any medication, especially Fosamax, but I don't want to be stupid about this either. Will keep you posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Hi Rosegarden,
Thanks for writing in. I was wondering specifically about healing the spinal fractures but noticed while I was on Forteo I didn't have one dental problem. So it works for bones.

I didn't want the bisphosphonates and still don't. Unfortuantely, there's not too many good options for further treatment. I'll be looking forward to hearing what your doctor recommends. Are you going to a major medical center or seeing an individual doctor in their own practice?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
(female)

Rosegarden HB User

Saw the doctor today. The results after 2 years on Foreto were that I had a 5.9 percent increase in the spine, which he was happy about. The hip showed a decrease, but the doctor said that should come up with the Boniva I'll be taking. I'm very happy.

The doctor is in private practice (Endocrinology, Metabolism & Metabolic Bone Disease). He does instruct at a nearby medical school. If you are interested in his name, maybe I could send it to you privately. I think we're in the same state.

I completely understand your reluctance to take some of these bone building medications, especially if your stomach cannot take it. I really would prefer not to take any pills--vitamins even, but I do. I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate Boniva or not, but I'll find out soon.

I have a couple vertebrae that are not fractured but showing some compression (6 & 7 maybe). Yes, my back hurts sometimes, upper back, not lower like most people. You probably have the same pain, mid back.

A second course of Forteo for you? How long since you ended the last one? I'll be interested to hear how this all works out for you. Take care.

Last edited by Rosegarden; 03-30-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: adding more info

Closed Thread