It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
(male)

996ttelise HB User
Is it okay to take Strontium while on Forteo and ? about K2

I am on Forteo and doctor gave me Strontium to take. Is this okay. Seems like I heard not to take together. How about K2? lastly, is the 50,000 ius of D really safe?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Is it okay to take Strontium while on Forteo and ? about K2

Hello and welcome to the board. I can't help you with your question, but wanted to tell you how fortunate you are to have a dr. who not only knows about strontium but is recommending it to his patients. My dr, knows i'm taking it, but doesn't support my decision even though i've supplied him with umpteen articles about what it does and how.

Since your dr. is having you take both he must've done the research to see if you could. Have you called his office and ask about taking the 2 together? Is it strontium citrate he gave your or does he have access to Protelos (strontium renalte)? take care..phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
(male)

996ttelise HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
Hello and welcome to the board. I can't help you with your question, but wanted to tell you how fortunate you are to have a dr. who not only knows about strontium but is recommending it to his patients. My dr, knows i'm taking it, but doesn't support my decision even though i've supplied him with umpteen articles about what it does and how.

Since your dr. is having you take both he must've done the research to see if you could. Have you called his office and ask about taking the 2 together? Is it strontium citrate he gave your or does he have access to Protelos (strontium renalte)? take care..phyllis
SR. Unfortunately, this doctor does not like Forteo and would prefer I just utilize her course which includes 2,000 D, K2, SR, HRT and etc. I refuse HRT as I am a a 42 year old male with good Test levels and a slightly naturally elevated IGF-1 (HGH indicator) and I do not want to alter my pit. axis at this time.

I have also heard and read really bad things about taking the extremely high doses of D3. I chose only to take 1,000 to 2,000 on days in which I am not in the sun as I live at the beach and surf so I get some naturally.

The doctor just said she did not see anything wrong with taking the two together, but she also told me to take up to 1,000 of supplementary calcium a day which I think is excessive due to he administration of the forteo.

Last edited by 996ttelise; 05-15-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hello...i have another question for you..how did you dr. get strontium renalate? It's not available here in the US or is it strontium citrate she is having you take? When taking strontium its recommended that you take 1000 mg. calcium daily to keep things in balance. You need both, but not at the same time. 1000 to 2000 mg of D3 would not be considered excessive. Drs. often prescribe as much as 50,000mg. when someone is deficient, but that is under a dr. care. If you have more questions call your dr. back and voice your concerns. I'm not familiar with forteo.

Living at the beach sounds great to a mid western rural liver like me. Is it warm enough to surf now? take care...phyllis

Old 05-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
(male)

996ttelise HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
Hello...i have another question for you..how did you dr. get strontium renalate? It's not available here in the US or is it strontium citrate she is having you take? When taking strontium its recommended that you take 1000 mg. calcium daily to keep things in balance. You need both, but not at the same time. 1000 to 2000 mg of D3 would not be considered excessive. Drs. often prescribe as much as 50,000mg. when someone is deficient, but that is under a dr. care. If you have more questions call your dr. back and voice your concerns. I'm not familiar with forteo.

Living at the beach sounds great to a mid western rural liver like me. Is it warm enough to surf now? take care...phyllis
She was trained in Europe and has a practice in Europe also. She primarily works with Olympic Athletes here in the States and she herself used to be an Olympic athlete. I spend a lot of time abroad. It is SR. I have SC also in 340 doses, but I do not take it.

I surf year around. Surfing is better in the winter and there is little to no waves in the summer in which to surf unless we have a storm or a hurricane. Last week, I surfed three days as there was a waist to chest high swell most of last week. It is gone now, but should be back up this week with a front moving through today. We wear wetsuits in the winter.

The water temperature right now is 76 degrees and feels great without a wetsuit. I am on the Gulf of Mexico in Florida and feel blessed to live here. I love the ocean.

I had a US endo prescribe for me the 50,000 dose one a week for four weeks. I did not take. I have heard too much bad about that high of a dose. I am trying to monitor my D levels and my D 1,25 runs high so it seems my body is converting D 25 to compensate for blood calcium levels even though my D25 or D3 can run low to mid range.

At one point, I was ODing on calcium so I try to be careful, especially when on the Forteo. I am kind of spooked about taking 1,000 in calcium supplements while on the Forteo as I get some in my vitamins, protein drinks and regular diet.

Last edited by 996ttelise; 05-17-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Closed Thread