It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

tami71 HB User
Unhappy 37 and just diagnosed with osteoporosis!

Hi I am 37 years old and just last Tuesday was diognosed with Osteoporosis, I am having such a hard time with this... I am trying to learn all I can about it. My lumbar spine was-1.1 hip-2.1 left arm-1.3 I am still trying to find out are these numbers really bad? I just had thyroid surgery in December. I am now on total thyroid replacement. I was hyperthyroid and was that way a long time before we finally found out what was wrong with me. ( Kept getting wrong diognosis) I feel pretty sure that's what caused the osteoporosis. I also have seven children. I am sure all the pregnancies and nursing didn't help me...I am a small person, I walk three miles about three to four times a week and am trying to increase that to five to six times a week. I want to add some weights to my excersize but not sure what to do... My Dr prescribed fosamax and I filled the prescription, but am scared to take it after I read the side effects... Not sure what to do now. I have read a little bit about some of you taking Strontium, I haven't had a chance yet to research it more. It sounds safer than fosamax and seem to have worked well for some of you. I have just started reading on here and hope to learn more. If anybody has any information on what I should do, I would welcome it...Have a great day
Tami

Old 05-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: 37 and just diognosed with osterporosis!

Hi Tami...first of all your scores aren't that bad..they are in the osteopenia range, not osteoporosis. The scores you have are telling you that its time to make a few lifestyle changes to stop the progression into osteoporosis. I was treated for Graves Disease (hyperthyroid) 5 years ago and like you believe my osteo came from being hyper off and on for several years before being dx and treated. Are you still in the finding the best dose for you stage? You want to take the dose that makes you feel the best, but not too much. I also imagine all the pregnancies and nursing took some calcium too. Be sure to take your thyroid meds well away from any calcium supplements. Calcium can interfere with the absorption of the thyroid meds. I take mine first thing in the morning and calcium after lunch.

Have you started taking supplements...calcium, magnesium, and vit D3 are good ones to start with. Does you diet include both dairy and non dairy sources of calcium, lots of fruits and veggies, lean protein and whole grains? Those foods will not only be good for you and your bones but your kids and husband as well. You walking plan sounds good, but your right..you need weight training too. You might want to tall to a trainer or physical therapist to get some ides of what is best for you. There are also plenty of sources online. You get plenty of exercise just chasing after your kids. Waht are their ages?

I am one of the ones taking strontium. Its a safe natural alternative choice that you can get online and at some stores. In the almost 3 years i've been taking it i have had no side effects. If you put strontium in the search box at the top of the page you'll find many threads discussing it. It has to be your decision to take the fosmax or not, listen to what your gut and head tell you. I took actenol for a couple of months and the whole time i knew it was wrong for me. I made the decision to try strontium and haven't had that feeling since. For me it was the right choice. Before you make any decisions read the book The Myth of Osteoporosis by Gillian Sanson. Its a very informative book that will clear up some questions for you, many of us found it very helpful when we were first dx.

If you have any other questions just ask...this is a very helpful board full of helpful willing people. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
(female)

tami71 HB User
Re: 37 and just diognosed with osterporosis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
Hi Tami...first of all your scores aren't that bad..they are in the osteopenia range, not osteoporosis. The scores you have are telling you that its time to make a few lifestyle changes to stop the progression into osteoporosis. I was treated for Graves Disease (hyperthyroid) 5 years ago and like you believe my osteo came from being hyper off and on for several years before being dx and treated. Are you still in the finding the best dose for you stage? You want to take the dose that makes you feel the best, but not too much. I also imagine all the pregnancies and nursing took some calcium too. Be sure to take your thyroid meds well away from any calcium supplements. Calcium can interfere with the absorption of the thyroid meds. I take mine first thing in the morning and calcium after lunch.

Have you started taking supplements...calcium, magnesium, and vit D3 are good ones to start with. Does you diet include both dairy and non dairy sources of calcium, lots of fruits and veggies, lean protein and whole grains? Those foods will not only be good for you and your bones but your kids and husband as well. You walking plan sounds good, but your right..you need weight training too. You might want to tall to a trainer or physical therapist to get some ides of what is best for you. There are also plenty of sources online. You get plenty of exercise just chasing after your kids. Waht are their ages?

I am one of the ones taking strontium. Its a safe natural alternative choice that you can get online and at some stores. In the almost 3 years i've been taking it i have had no side effects. If you put strontium in the search box at the top of the page you'll find many threads discussing it. It has to be your decision to take the fosmax or not, listen to what your gut and head tell you. I took actenol for a couple of months and the whole time i knew it was wrong for me. I made the decision to try strontium and haven't had that feeling since. For me it was the right choice. Before you make any decisions read the book The Myth of Osteoporosis by Gillian Sanson. Its a very informative book that will clear up some questions for you, many of us found it very helpful when we were first dx.

If you have any other questions just ask...this is a very helpful board full of helpful willing people. take care...phyllis
Hi Phyllis, thanks soo much for your reply...You have no idea how much it means to me to have someone to talk to that knows about this... See I was told I have Osteoporosis by my Dr..I am soo glad my numbers aren't that bad and it is just Osteopenia range... I feel better already lol!
I am still trying to get my dosage of synthroid right... I take caltrate 1200 mg. I am on prescription Vit D right now. Is there a better calcium for me to be taking? I am not taking magnesium right now, should I be?
I love walking, and do a little running too. I just got a new strength training video that you use the big rubber band. I really like it a lot...I am going to call my insurance co. and see if they will cover for me to go to physical therapy. Did yo have it? Do you mind me asking what age you were when you found out you have this?
Oh, my children's ages are 17, 14, 12, 10, 8, 5, and 3 four girl's and three boy's. They do keep me very busy... I love them to death!
I know it is up to me to decide what I should take...I am just really unsure about the fosamax...I would love to try something more natural. What do you think of me trying the strontium for a year. Do you think that would be risky? I will have another dexa scan in a year my Dr. said I was thinking of trying it for a year and if I don't have any results maybe trying something else... I was just nervous because I don't know that much about this yet, and didn't want to get worse. Do you have any pain? My legs hurt me a lot...not sure why. I will definitely get the book you recommended. again thanks sooo much for all your help! You are a real sweetie pie
Hope to talk with you again soon,
Tami

Old 05-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: 37 and just diagnosed with osteoporosis!

Hi Tami...thanks for your kind words. There are several kinds of calcium available, i think the caltrate your taking is fine. The most important thing to remember about calcium is to take it every day when its so easy to forget. Magnesium helps the with absorption calcium like vit D does. I've found since i've added extra magnesium i sleep better and ahve fewer muscle aches.

What kind of thyroid problem did you have? It takes a while to find just the right dose but when you do you'll feel good. I'm 56, but was dx with Graves at 50 and osteo at 53. I've never talked to a physical therapist about what to. I've always liked walking and working out so i've just done what i want pretty much. I'm more careful than i used to be, but i think that comes with getting older and being more sensible.

I have a collection of fitness videos, if you like i could tell you a few that i really like.

You do have a houseful. I can't imagine keeping up with 5 kids, my 2 (my daughter is a year younger than you) kept me busy enough.

I really can't tell you what to do, its something you'll have to decide for yourself. If i had scores like yours i wouldn't go for the fosomax. You have time to build your density with diet, supplements and exercise. I don't feel that strontium is risky and if i felt that way i would never have started taking it. I had a DEXA 9 months after starting it and did have improvements, so trying it for a year would be a good test. You might want to talk to your endo/dr. about it..who knows he may even be familiar with it. I have another DEXA next month and am hoping to have even better gains.

What kind of pain do you have ? Do your legs hurt when you squat and get up or climb steps? The reason i ask that is that when i was hyper both of those things were hard to do. I don't have ongoing pain anywhere now unless i overdo walking or weight training..nothing that a couple of advil won't take care of. have you told your dr. about the pain?

You can probably get a copy of the book at your library. One more thing...don't let the dx get to you. You're still the same person you've always been, you won't break, and your young. take care...phyllis

Last edited by phylwill1152; 05-26-2009 at 05:37 AM.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
(female)

tami71 HB User

Quote:
Hi Tami...thanks for your kind words. There are several kinds of calcium available, i think the caltrate your taking is fine. The most important thing to remember about calcium is to take it every day when its so easy to forget. Magnesium helps the with absorption calcium like vit D does. I've found since i've added extra magnesium i sleep better and ahve fewer muscle aches.

What kind of thyroid problem did you have? It takes a while to find just the right dose but when you do you'll feel good. I'm 56, but was dx with Graves at 50 and osteo at 53. I've never talked to a physical therapist about what to. I've always liked walking and working out so i've just done what i want pretty much. I'm more careful than i used to be, but i think that comes with getting older and being more sensible.

I have a collection of fitness videos, if you like i could tell you a few that i really like.

You do have a houseful. I can't imagine keeping up with 5 kids, my 2 (my daughter is a year younger than you) kept me busy enough.

I really can't tell you what to do, its something you'll have to decide for yourself. If i had scores like yours i wouldn't go for the fosomax. You have time to build your density with diet, supplements and exercise. I don't feel that strontium is risky and if i felt that way i would never have started taking it. I had a DEXA 9 months after starting it and did have improvements, so trying it for a year would be a good test. You might want to talk to your endo/dr. about it..who knows he may even be familiar with it. I have another DEXA next month and am hoping to have even better gains.

What kind of pain do you have ? Do your legs hurt when you squat and get up or climb steps? The reason i ask that is that when i was hyper both of those things were hard to do. I don't have ongoing pain anywhere now unless i overdo walking or weight training..nothing that a couple of advil won't take care of. have you told your dr. about the pain?

You can probably get a copy of the book at your library. One more thing...don't let the dx get to you. You're still the same person you've always been, you won't break, and your young. take care...phyllis
Hi again Phyllis,
I am definitely going to add magnesium to my Vitamins. Is there a certain brand you like, or can we mention that here...Is there any other vitamins I should me taking? Do you take vitamin k? I have been trying to read on what is good for bone building...I don't know if I can take to much stuff or not...My legs hurt mostly at the knees. They hurt when I sit with them bent for very long. They don't hurt as much if I am up moving. They actually feel better when I walk a lot. If we have a rainy week where I don't get out and walk as much, I can tell they hurt worse..I need to get a walking video so I can still walk inside. I would love to know which video's you like the best..I just bought (Shape Pilates for pink work-out) I am really liking it..I can tell I've done something when I finish that thing! lol!
I had three nodules on my thyroid. One was hot and two were cold. The hot nodule was making me hyperthyroid. It was the size of a golfball! I had had problems with my heart beating very rapidly for years and years and would go to the Dr and never found out anything..There at the last when I FINALLY found out I was hyper I kept having spells where I was very dizzy my left arm would hurt, my heart would fly, I was nauseous, and just real confused. It was horrible. I feel much better with it out. I had my labs done about three weeks ago and my tsh was 1.93. It's still a little low, but it has steady been coming up since surgery. What do you try to keep your tsh at? I don't know if that could be the problem with my knees or not.. They started hurting about two months before I had surgery...

I really think I am going to try the Strontium, I have been reading on it...How did your Dr respond when you told him you were going to take it. I am not sure what mine will say. I have a feeling he is going to try to talk me out of it. oh well...I can't wait to hear from your next dexa, please let me know. I hope you have had more improvements!

I am going to check the library today and see if they have that book...I can't wait to read it!

Thanks for your encouraging words! I need to hear that, I have cried and been depressed about this...I feel like I am getting old before my time lol! I have felt soo much better after talking and reading on here.
Tami

Old 05-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Hi Tami,

If I may jump in because you asked about vitamin K. I just recently read of the importance of K2 for bone health. This can also be found in a product called Natto if you'd rather have a food source.

All the best,

Jen

Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Tami...we are on a roll aren't we??? it is so nice to be able to help others with the things we've leaned over time. I've been buying NSI brand supplements for several years, that the brand of strontium i take. I also order the magnesium from them, because i can find 500 mg. caps there. Others supplement i pick up where ever i happen to be when i need them. I also take a multivitamin and fish oil. I don't take vitamin K2 at this time. I want everything to be the same when i have the DEXA. I'll wait and see how it comes out before deciding to add more. There are so many things that can be taken for the bones that you have to wade thru all the info and decide which ones your want to try and which ones you want to skip. Do you like prunes? Eating 10 a day is said to help build density. that's one i try to follow cause i like them and always keep them in the house.

I like Leslie Sansone walking videos, but there are all kinds of them out there depending on what you like to do. Being so young you may enjoy ones with higher impact. I have a weight training video by Erin O'Brien that i really like called Strong bodies, Ageless Bodies. I also like Minna Lessin videos. and beleive it or not one of my favorites is a Richard Simmons weight training video called Blast and Tone. I don't like his dancey videos, but this one gives a good basic workout. When you go look for book, check your library to see if they rent videos or check the videos stores..they sometimes have fitness videos you can try before buying.

For a long time my tsh stayed below 1, but this last time it was up to 2.92, I don't know why i went up so much, but since i feel good i haven't worried about it. I'll have another tsh and ft4 test at the end of June. since i'm on total replacement I go more by the ft4 than tsh...after all with no thyroid the pituitary isn't sending any messages to the thyroid. At least that's how i understand it. all that matters to me is that i feel good.

When i decided to go on strontium i told my dr, he wasn't happy about it but didn't try to hard to stop me. It was when i told him he would not be responsible for anything that could happen in the future he acted relieved. DR. do their best to protect themselves. They feel they have to give something when there is a "problem" to be "fixed". Since strontium is not FDA approved many drs. won't advise their patients to take it.

We were all sacred when we were first dx, but with education and knowledge comes strength. It took me a while, but i finally came to the conclusion that i wasn't going to live in fear just because something may or may not ever happen. Just because you have less that perfect density it doesn't mean that your bones aren't strong..that's 2 different things. My bones don't have the density they used to, but i know they are strong.

Well, time for me to get back to the fun job of cleaning the house. have a good day...take care..phyllis

Old 05-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
(female)

tami71 HB User

Quote:
Hi Tami...we are on a roll aren't we??? it is so nice to be able to help others with the things we've leaned over time. I've been buying NSI brand supplements for several years, that the brand of strontium i take. I also order the magnesium from them, because i can find 500 mg. caps there. Others supplement i pick up where ever i happen to be when i need them. I also take a multivitamin and fish oil. I don't take vitamin K2 at this time. I want everything to be the same when i have the DEXA. I'll wait and see how it comes out before deciding to add more. There are so many things that can be taken for the bones that you have to wade thru all the info and decide which ones your want to try and which ones you want to skip. Do you like prunes? Eating 10 a day is said to help build density. that's one i try to follow cause i like them and always keep them in the house.

I like Leslie Sansone walking videos, but there are all kinds of them out there depending on what you like to do. Being so young you may enjoy ones with higher impact. I have a weight training video by Erin O'Brien that i really like called Strong bodies, Ageless Bodies. I also like Minna Lessin videos. and beleive it or not one of my favorites is a Richard Simmons weight training video called Blast and Tone. I don't like his dancey videos, but this one gives a good basic workout. When you go look for book, check your library to see if they rent videos or check the videos stores..they sometimes have fitness videos you can try before buying.

For a long time my tsh stayed below 1, but this last time it was up to 2.92, I don't know why i went up so much, but since i feel good i haven't worried about it. I'll have another tsh and ft4 test at the end of June. since i'm on total replacement I go more by the ft4 than tsh...after all with no thyroid the pituitary isn't sending any messages to the thyroid. At least that's how i understand it. all that matters to me is that i feel good.

When i decided to go on strontium i told my dr, he wasn't happy about it but didn't try to hard to stop me. It was when i told him he would not be responsible for anything that could happen in the future he acted relieved. DR. do their best to protect themselves. They feel they have to give something when there is a "problem" to be "fixed". Since strontium is not FDA approved many drs. won't advise their patients to take it.

We were all sacred when we were first dx, but with education and knowledge comes strength. It took me a while, but i finally came to the conclusion that i wasn't going to live in fear just because something may or may not ever happen. Just because you have less that perfect density it doesn't mean that your bones aren't strong..that's 2 different things. My bones don't have the density they used to, but i know they are strong.

Well, time for me to get back to the fun job of cleaning the house. have a good day...take care..phyllis
Hey Phyllis, I've been busy really busy, We were on a roll lol! Thanks so much for all the info you gave me... I am going to check out some of the videos you mentioned. I like to know the ones that are tried and true... I ordered my Strontium yesterday. I really hope it works for me. I feel much better about taking it than I did fosamax. You are right I feel better the more I educate myself, and I am still learning...Tell me again do you stop the stronium 30 days before your dexa scan. I want to remember that....
Have fun cleaning your house! If it's like mine that's a work-out by itself lol!

Old 05-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
(female)

tami71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Hi Tami,

If I may jump in because you asked about vitamin K. I just recently read of the importance of K2 for bone health. This can also be found in a product called Natto if you'd rather have a food source.

All the best,

Jen
Hi Jen, Thanks for the info. After reading on it, I think I should add that to my vitamins...I appreciate you letting me know that...
Take care,
Tami

Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Tami...my dr. is the one who said stop strontium for 30 days prior to the DEXA. I don't know why or how he came up wit that number, but i did it. He never did share where he got the info, but will ask again when i see him. I know others on strontium who aren't going to stop and some who are going to stop for 2 weeks prior. We are pretty much on our own with it.

What brand did you order? Here are a few tips on taking it. *** Be sure to get at least 1000 mg. of calcium a day, taken well separated from the strontium***take it on an empty or mostly empty stomach...bedtime is when i take it***don't eat high calcium foods several hours prior to taking***since its similar to calcium don't take it near your thyroid med, i don't know if it will affect the absorption of the thyroid med, but just to be safe i don't***

Welcome to the "out of the box" bone builders club...take care...phyllis

Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
(female)

tami71 HB User

Hey Phyllis, I just typed you a long message and lost it ARGG!! lol! Okay I will probably stop a while before my next scan

I ordered the NSI brand I think it was.. It was what you said you take.. Right now I am taking my synthroid first thing in the morning, and 1200mg of Calcium and a collagen pill for hair, skin ,and nails and bones at lunch and at bedtime I take my multi vitamin, and fish oil...I ordered Strontium, magnesium, vit k2 and vit C... I wonder if I should take my multi vitamin at lunch because it has calcium in it. What do you think? Is there anything else I should be taking? Am I taking enough or way too much? lol!
Tami :-)

Old 05-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Tami...i've had that happen to me too..i always wonder what i did to make it disapper. Yes, NSI is what i use, i thought the price was good and i've had results with it, so for me its a keeper. Your supplement routine sounds ok, but when were you going to fit the strontium in? It can't be taken near the calcium and magnesium. I don't think it would hurt to take the multi at lunch. I probably do it wrong, but it take a multivitamin, fish oil, calcium and extra magnesium all after lunch and take the strontium at bedtime. There is always something else to take, but for now i'd say you have it covered.

I got plenty of extra vitamin d today...my husband and i went canoeing for a couple of hours. have a good weekend...take care...phyllis

Old 05-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #13
(female)

StarSong HB User

Tami:

I see you are getting lots of advice so I'll put my two cents in. Doing a bone building diet is great but be sure that you spread out the calcium. The body can only absorb about 500-600 mg at a time. So if you take the 1200mg it won't all be absorbed. I shoot for about 600mg three times a day with either food or supplements. It takes awhile to get into a routine so you get all the Calcium, vitamin K and magnesium you need per day.

As you probably already know getting the proper dosage of synthroid worked out will be one of the best things you can do for your bone health.

Good luck

Old 05-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #14
(female)

tami71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSong View Post
Tami:

I see you are getting lots of advice so I'll put my two cents in. Doing a bone building diet is great but be sure that you spread out the calcium. The body can only absorb about 500-600 mg at a time. So if you take the 1200mg it won't all be absorbed. I shoot for about 600mg three times a day with either food or supplements. It takes awhile to get into a routine so you get all the Calcium, vitamin K and magnesium you need per day.

As you probably already know getting the proper dosage of synthroid worked out will be one of the best things you can do for your bone health.

Good luck
Hi StarSong, Thank you for your advice, I didn't know that about calcium, I started out taking it 600 mg at a time, but the last few days have been taking 1200mg at a time. I'll try to go back to spreading it out a bit, It's hard to spread everything out you know...I knew not to take it near synthroid, and I can't take it with Strontium, maybe I shoud take one at lunch and one at dinner....I"ll figure out a plan I guess lol!

Yes I'll be happy to get my dosage of symnthroid right...hopefully soon I will.
How much magnesium do you take a day? Mine just came in today and I am not sure how much I need...I am new to the Osteoporosis board. Are you on Strontium or something else? If so how much is the recommended dosage? Mine is 640 mg I think, and the bottle said to take two a day, but I was pretty sure I read on here somewhere to take 640 mgs a day..

Tami

Old 05-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
(female)

tami71 HB User

Quote:
Hi Tami...i've had that happen to me too..i always wonder what i did to make it disapper. Yes, NSI is what i use, i thought the price was good and i've had results with it, so for me its a keeper. Your supplement routine sounds ok, but when were you going to fit the strontium in? It can't be taken near the calcium and magnesium. I don't think it would hurt to take the multi at lunch. I probably do it wrong, but it take a multivitamin, fish oil, calcium and extra magnesium all after lunch and take the strontium at bedtime. There is always something else to take, but for now i'd say you have it covered.

I got plenty of extra vitamin d today...my husband and i went canoeing for a couple of hours. have a good weekend...take care...phyllis
Oh canoeing sounds fun! We went last year and took six of our kids( the oldest didn't go) and it was a lot of fun....I was planning on taking Stronium at bedtime, do you spread your calcium out or take it all at one time? I just got my Vitamins in today. I orderd B 6 too, I didn't list that before. I forgot I ordered it... Do you take more than I listed? If theres something you would recommend that I didn't list. I would love to know...One more question, How much Stronium do you take a day? mine is the 640 mgs or 680 I can't remember which...The bottle says take two a day, but I wasn't sure about that...
Tami

Closed Thread