It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

ktnap HB User
Questions/Need Help Comparing Results

I took my 2nd bone density test last week (my first one was 3/07). My doctor prescribed bisphonates the first time, but I did not go on them and instead tried calcium, vitamin D and exercise. I was reluctant to have the test this time, but was curious to see if my efforts had been helping me at all in the past two years.

The first correspondence from the doctor's office didn't give my T-score & Z-scores but only stated that I now have osteoperosis and to make an appt so I could "explore options". I just got the "numbers". however, it appears that all the things they tested for previously weren't tested for this time (i.e., the hip #s for "Inter" and "Wards"). And, I'm not sure if the T-score, Z-scores mean the same thing in each test. The first test just said T-score and Z-score. The one last week added captions Young Adult T-Score and Age-Matched Z-scores. Are the standards the same as for two years ago?

Lumbar Spine Scan of 3/07:
L1 T-score: -1.1, Z-score: -.5
L2 T-score: -1.2, Z-score: -.5
L3 T-score: -1.8, Z-score: -1.1
L4 T-score: -1.6, Z-score: -.9
Total T-score: -1.4, Z-score: -.8

Lumbar Spine Scan of 7/09
L1 Young Adult T-score: -2.4, Age-matched Z-score: -1.4
L2 Young Adult T-score: -2.6, Age-matched Z-score: -2.1
L3 Young Adult T-score: -2.4, Age-matched Z-score: -1.3
L4 Young Adult T-score: -1.9, Age-matched Z-score: -.7
Total T-score: -1.4, Z-score: -.8

Left Hip Scan of 3/07:
Neck: T-score: -2.3, Z-score: -1.7
Troch: T-score: -2.1, Z-score: -1.7
Inter: T-score: -1.5, Z-score: -1.3
Total: T-score: -1.8, Z-score: -1.4
Ward's: T-score: -1.8, Z-score: -.7

Left Hip Scan of 7/09:
Neck: Young Adult T-Score: -2.7, Age-matched Z-score: -1.4
Troch: Young Adult T-Score: -3.2, Age-matched Z-score: -2.1
Total: Young Adult T-score: -2.5, Age-matched Z-score: -1.6

Trend for L1-L4
7/2009 age 51.2 BMD(g/cm3) 0.911 change vs. previous(g/cm3) -0.099 previous % -9.8
3/2007 age 48.9 BMD(g/cm3) 1.010

Trend for Left Hip
7/2009 age 51.2 BMD(g/cm3) 0.689 change vs. previous(g/cm3) -0.096 previous % -12.2
3/2007 age 48.9 BMD(g/cm3) 0.785

The numbers are different and do appear to be worse in most of the categories, but it still looks like borderline osteoperosis. And, wouldn't it be normal that it'd be worse since it's been at least since March of 2007 that I've had a "normal" period and apparently in menopause? And actually, it looks like to me, the number had improved in at least one category (L4) this time

I'd really appreciate any information (am I reading the #s right?) including how much bone density others "lost" going through menopause. I probably will go into the doctor to "explore options" as she said but I'd like to go armed with as much information as possible.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Questions/Need Help Comparing Results

Hi ktnap...I've never seen a report written like yours, but its seems to me that they just changed the way of wording the report. There are also some scores that weren't given when i had a scan last month, like torch and ward. A t-score is the score they give for comparing you to a much younger person at the peak of their bone density, which would explain the "young adult" and the z-score is when your compared to women in your own age group. I think it may be their way of simplifying things and it would be easier if it were your first scan. As far as i know the standards are still the same.

Your scores have changed, but they are still good. You can still improve your density thru contimued supplements, exercise and a good diet. I don't know how much density i would have lost since menopause if i hadn't started taking strontium. Over the past 3 years i've gained density. I posted my results several threads back. When you talk to your dr. about options you might mention strontium and see what she has to say about it. hope this answers your questions...if not just ask...there are some very well informed people here who will help. have agood weekend..take care..phyllis

Old 07-26-2009, 03:28 AM   #3
(female)

ktnap HB User

Quote:
Your scores have changed, but they are still good. You can still improve your density thru contimued supplements, exercise and a good diet. I don't know how much density i would have lost since menopause if i hadn't started taking strontium. Over the past 3 years i've gained density. I posted my results several threads back. When you talk to your dr. about options you might mention strontium and see what she has to say about it. hope this answers your questions...if not just ask...there are some very well informed people here who will help. have agood weekend..take care..phyllis
Phyllis, I really appreciate your encouragement. My doctor always makes me feel like I will be walking in with a dowager's hump and a broken bones the next time I see her and I always leave feeling "weak" and kind of depressed. To me, it looked like one of my numbers had actually improved, she would never acknowledge that!! Also, it didn't look like she should be calling it osteoporosis yet. Do I fall into that category?

I started re-reading Myth of Osteoporosis and was intrigued by the Strontium references I've seen the author mention about it so far, but it seems like there is such a big leap of assumption every time I see it mentioned anywhere (like people already know everything about it and then they go on it). ...So far, I haven't seen anything posted from people who are thinkingof going on it. Like where do you get it, is it in cooperation with the doctor..., side effects, all my notes are upstairs that I wanted to ask.

I have been intending to post a separate thread about it to see if I can get my many questions answered, but am going into a particularly busy time in my life so I may get delayed for awhile.

But again I'm so very appreciative of your response!! The board seemed to be down when I got my numbers, and it was very frustrating...

Kat

Old 07-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi kat..the board has been very slow lately, maybe everyone is busy with summer or on vacation. The problems didn't help either. Glad to see that that is fixed.

I don't know why your dr. is making you feel so bad...your only score that is in the osteo range is the lumbar spine and that barely over the line. Dr. tend to think that they have to tell the worse case scenario so in the event something does happen they can say they warned you. Its called covering their backside. A dr. will only go as far as you let them..make it clear to your dr. that you are an advocate for your own health care and want to be treated like someone with a brain. I'm fortunate that our dr. who listens to what i say, i've been educating him about strontium and if and when it gets FDA approved he'll be ahead of the game. While he doesn't agree with me about it, he has seen my results and is keeping an open mind.

There are several people here taking strontium who got their info from both the internet and the others on the board. I have several friends taking it. I think many people read about it and then make the decision to give it a try. I order it online since i can't find it in our area and in the 3 years i've taken it i've had no side effects except good one....improved density, only 1 cavity and fewer aches and pains in general. It took a while for the aches to go away..it was so gradual that it wasn't noticeable till i thought to myself...i haven't taken any otc pain meds in a while. It was a light bulb moment.

Go ahead and post your list of questions and give it time..the others will get back to checking the board soon. This is what i did for my bones today....my husband and i like to hike. we decided to go to a park about 50 miles from our house and see what their trails were like. Well, let me tell you when parks website said they were ranked "difficult to very difficult" they weren't kidding, it was a heart pumping, thigh burner...hahaha. Plus the map we got at the park was not a very good one, so our 5 mile hike was closer to 7. We are both tired, but its a good tried. We're already planning to go back in the fall, but since we'll know the trail it will be eaier. I guess the lesson in this story is to get out and do the things you love and don't worry about scores. with that said i think its time to go pop a couple of aspirins to ward off stiffness later on...have a good day...take care...phyllis

Old 07-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
(female)

ktnap HB User

Phyllis,

Thanks for your reply... I hope to have time this afternoon to post the questions I have in another thread.

As for getting my doctor to listen to me, try as I might, I can't seem to vocally communicate as well as I write. That goes for anyone, not just my doctor. Half the time I can't even remember the points I would like to make. I guess I could do my research and hand it to her, . But, I'm wondering, would I need her cooperation at all? Apparently, she intends to order the bone tests every two years now.

But I guess I'm getting ahead of myself as I haven't done hardly any research. I just found it kind of amusing that the author in Myth... just dropped the term to her readers and didn't really go into any detail at all. I was afraid it wasn't "all that" but your results sound very hopeful.

I hope you are feeling better today!!

Kat

Closed Thread