It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User
How big fracture's chance will I face ?

Hi:

I am a 58 years old man and I was found I have Osteporosis since 2005.
The following is the Bone Density scan result I did in 2007 .
It is almost as same as my 2005 result except Lumber Spine T-score is a little bit better,
2005 result is -2,2.
Lumbar Spine: T-score -1.8
Left Hip T-score- 2.5
Left Femoral Neck T-score- 2.4.

My doctor still let me to use Fosamax, Calcium 1500mg and vitamin D 800iu,
But actually I have taken Fosamax since 2005 and looks like doesn’t help me much.I just want to kwon how big fracture rick I will get , because this question bother me every day.

Thanks!

Last edited by efang; 07-24-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: How big fracture's chance will I face ?

Hi efang..with the exception of the left hip your score (which is on the dividing line)they are in the osteopenia range. You have to keep in mind that there is a difference between breaking a bone from an accident, traumatic fracture, and a bone breaking spontaneously, non traumatic fracture. Anyone can break a bone traumatically, but its the spontaneous (the bone breaking for no reason) fractures that are osteo related. Just because your density isn't what is considered "normal" doesn't mean that your bones aren't strong..there is a difference. I know my density isn't perfect, but from walking, weight training, supplements and keeping active i know they are strong.

Have you discussed this with your dr? He should be able to give you answers that will reassure about your bones. He may even be able to give a risk a factor number that goes with your scores. Has your concern affected your everyday life or are you still doing all the things you've always enjoyed doing? When i was first dx i was fearful that i would break, but i got over that fast and got back to doing whatever i want. We are all different and have different ways of dealing with the curves life sends up...how you decide to deal with it is up to you. One more point i'd like to make..just because your density isn't perfect doesn't mean that you WILL break a bone in the future. There are many people walking around with osteo who will never break a bone and some with perfect density who will..its all luck of the draw. Have a good weekend..take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User
Re: How big fracture's chance will I face ?

Phyllis,
Thank you for letting me know the different between “breaking a bone form an reason” or “for no reason “. I was diagnosed Osteo in 2005, my Primary doctor at that time just told me to take medicines ,Vitamin-D , Calciums and do more exercise , I did my second time scan in 2007 which shows the result you already know, but my primary doctor just let me continue and didn’t do any change. He may think the Fosamax still can help me a little.
I was diagnosed I had Lumber spine herniation at 5/2008 and I do my best to treat my back and leg pain.Unfortunately I still have right leg pain now. Recently I found it is the time that I need to do the scan again ( my insurance let me do it two years once)I think maybe I need to change the medicine if the result shows I have no big change. I knew the walking, weight training, supplements and keeping active can help a lot, but I have tried them and always was interrupted by some reason and can’t keep to doing them. I think I may discuss this problem with my new Primary doctor , but today I already learn a lot from you.

Thank you very much!

Closed Thread