It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
(female)

Sally43 HB User
Fosamax

I have a question regarding the taking of Fosamax for osteoporosis. I am 65 years old, very petite in size and weight, I run daily, and in good health. I have been taking Fosamax for about a year and have noticed a definite thinning of my hair in the past year. I had a Dexa bone scan and was told I need the medication for bones; however, I feel I am not your average 65 year-old. I am five feet, four and a half inches and weigh 113 pounds. I have no bone pain or back problems. What do you think?

Sally

Last edited by moderator2; 08-01-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 08-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Fosamax

I only took one pill and my stomach was burning so that was the only side effect I experienced. I don't know if thinning hair is listed as a side effect or not. You might want to talk with your doctor about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

I am also 65 and could not tolerate Fosamax due to a problem with insomnia. My hair has been thinning for several years, but I was told it was age-related.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Sally,
Some taking Fosamax have experienced hair loss/thinning. You need to do a lot more research on this drug. I personally would not take it because of all the possible side effects both short and long term. I wish you well.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

I've taken Fosamax for almost 10 years with no problems whatsoever. About three years ago (65 y/o), my hair started thinning, but it would seem if it was Fosamax related, it would have begun thinning sooner. I too think it is age related. My body hair is also thinning and I remember my mom going thru the same thing. Now if the facial hair would only decrease

Old 08-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hypatia,
Has your bone density increased in the last 10 years on Fosamax? I hope your getting good results.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Hi taape - My first DXA scan 10 yrs ago showed severe osteoporosis in spine/femur. My spine is no longer osteoporotic and the femurs are now in the osteopenia range. I would prefer not to take a bisphosphonate, but my mother had severe dowager's hump by the time she was 65 and I really really do not want that!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad it's working for you. It doesn't bother your stomach?

Old 08-07-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

It doesn't bother my stomach at all. I do drink probably 3 glasses of water with it and am sure to stay upright afterwards.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

Fosamax does not work. It causes inflamation swelling of bone, which makes bones appear larger on xray but they are not stronger.Drug companies themselves only claim that foamax and other bone drugs reduce fracture rates by less than one percent and even that percentage only applies to certain subgroups. Several hundred people who meet certain age and other criteriia need to take it for three years to prevent one fracture .Even that alleged one less fracture is not found in many trials.These drugs also have many side effects , not made up for by the claimed slight benefit they provide.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
(female)

Sally43 HB User

The information you pointed out regarding Fosamax is quite interesting. Where did you get this information? I just quit taking Fosamax after about 7 months as I seemed to have my hair thin more than normal. I really do not believe all of the positive claims by the pharmaceutical companies and the medical establishment. I do not think anyone really knows.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally43 View Post
The information you pointed out regarding Fosamax is quite interesting. Where did you get this information? I just quit taking Fosamax after about 7 months as I seemed to have my hair thin more than normal. I really do not believe all of the positive claims by the pharmaceutical companies and the medical establishment. I do not think anyone really knows.
I don't remember the source of everything I have learned about bisphosphonates but one reference is NEJM 2001 .This study of over three thousand women who had osteoporosis and were given Actonel found no effect on the incidence of hip fracture.
JAMA1998- Fosamax increased the incidence of hip fracture in women with osteopenia or osteoporosis
In one trial on Fosamax for which I don't have the site , 99.5% of those given a placebo did not have a fracture and 99.8% of those who were given Fosamax did not have a fracture , so the effect was negligible and given the tricks and outright fraud committed by drug companies to get their drugs approved , the true picture is probably even worse.
I also read that fosamax can destroy the jaw and cause atrial fibrillation and other side effects.
You might want to check out my posts on the two how to prevent osteoporosis threads

Old 09-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally43 View Post
Sally ,
I have read some books on the pharmaceutical industry that might interest you .
The Truth About the Drug Companies by Marcia Angell MD
Confessions of a Medical Heretic by Robert Mendelsohn MD
What Your Doctor Wont Tell You by Lynne Mc Taggart

Last edited by Chrispy1; 09-10-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Closed Thread