It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
appointment with endroencrinologist

My osteroporosis improved in the hip but is worse in the spine. The dr said at my age there is usually an underlying cause so she ran some tests. I got the 24 hour urine calcium test back. My level was 19. The normal range is 50-100. I looked up what that could mean and my search led me to hypoparathyroid. No diagnosis yet, but I sure was excited as this may explain my severe cramping, trembling shakes and possibly the multiple unusual brain calcifications, and certainly the reason for my osteroporosis
I am probably going to use the strontium instead of the foteo. I still have tests outstanding so I haven't talked to the dr yet regarding the results

Old 08-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: appointment with endroencrinologist

Let us know what you find out. It would be nice to know the cause, I agree.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

The dr called and said my tests were normal. She was ready to blow me off, (so much for her original statement there is usually an underlying reason for osteroporosis) Unknown to me I had my parathyroid tested in 2008 and she said it was normal. However, she did reorder the test. I read it should be done fasting and early in the morning. When I spoke to the lab tech today, she didn't know that, so maybe the test was inaccurate. I am going to take the strontium instead of the foteo. She said purchasing it from overseas is better than buying it here in the US as here it is not as potent. So I guess I will start searching for a place to order it from.
So, the search of a cause still continues.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Mel, glad to hear that test came out normal. Since you found out it should be a fasting test why not ask your dr. for another lab order and then compare the results. Who knows, fasting could give different results or they could come out the same. It makes me wonder how many people get false lab reports because someone didn't tell them to how to prepare for it.

I've been taking strontium for 3 years with good results. I order it online from a company here in the US. I'd be interested in what you find in Europe..if you find a good one would you PM me the link? take care..phyllis

Old 08-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I emailed the dr and asked her if numbers could change on the parathyroid test. She went ahead and reordered the test. So, yesterday I went over to the lab to pick up urine test containers for adrenal gland testing. I asked the lab tech when I had the parathyroid test done in 2008 and she wasn't able to pull it up. I asked if there was any special orders regarding it. She looked and said no. She said when there is, it will come up on the computer. Well, according to the numerous sites I have gone to, fasting is necessary and early morning testing is required. Yep, how many labs are messed up because of ignorance? I asked her if any rules regarding celiac testing as that too can contribute to osteroporosis. She said don't eat wheat. Then she looked and said do eat wheat. I had read it is necessary to eat wheat for several weeks prior to testing. geeeezzzz.
I will let you know what I find in Europe. It might be next week. We are having new flooring put in through out the house and my computer will be down. YIKES.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Phyllis, I have been reading the posts regarding taking stronitum and side effects. I think what I am going to do is try the US product first since it isn't as potent and see if I have side effects before I go for the stronger dose.
I thought I would go to a health food store and see if they sell it so I can try it.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Mel..good luck finding strontium citrate in stores of any kind. I haven't found it anywhere in our area. I order NSI strontium online and am happy with the tresults i've had with it. I don't understand how OTC strontium from Europe can be stronger..SC is SC unless they've found a way to give it a boost or something. The recommended daily dose is 680 mg., altho i've been reading that even smaller doses can give good results. Have a good weekend..take care..phyllis

Old 08-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

The dr told me Europe is stronger. I can't find the notes I took during our phone conversation. Dang it. I think she said there were two types. She gave me the dosage and now I can't find it. I will ask her again after I have my parathyroid and adrenal tests, but I am waiting until the floor is installed, which has now been delayed until Tuesday.

Closed Thread