It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

Kathy1813 HB User
Has anyone heard of the new medication called denosumab?

There was an article in my newspaper last week on this new drug that is supposed to reduce spinal fractures. It said that the drug, denosumab, is the first to block production of cells called osteoclasts that break down bones and physicians have high hopes for it because of its efficacy, ease of administration and apparent lack of severe side effects. The article stated that this is the first member of a new class of osteoporosis drugs. The drug when it comes out will be called Prolia.

Of course, it goes on to say that this will be very expensive.

I get so frustrated because there are no really good drugs for our disease and then when something different comes out, no one can afford it, at least I can't.

Just wondered if anyone knew anything more about this and what they thought.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Has anyone heard of the new medication called denosumab?

Yes, I am near the Amgen headquarters where they developed it. They are hoping next year that it will be available.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

From what I've heard, this particular drug will be administered as a twice-yearly injection. And it's NOT a bisphosphonate! Doesn't surprise me that it's going to be VERY expensive, either. As with all new meds, and even though extensive clinical trials have been done, we'll probably have to wait who knows how long till the real picture begins to become clear regarding side effects. They are apparently stating that there are few of these. But who knows? We're all different, with different metabolisims.

I believe the FDA is about to approve it - or at least, will be doing so soon. (Or maybe they already have, I'm not sure). For the time being I am just taking calcium citrate, magnesium citrate, and vit. d3 plus omega fish oil. I feel fine and exercise daily (walking) several hours per day. I'm one of those leery people who doesn't have a lot of confidence in DEXA machines, and even though I've only had one scan (several years ago), I've made the decision not to have any more of them.

NO doubt we'll be hearing much more about this med, but I'm in no rush to try something I know so little about, not to speak of the cost. If my numbers were really very bad, then I might re-consider, but for now, I think I'll just stay with the regimen I'm currently on.

Last edited by montesflus; 08-22-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
(female)

shewolf75 HB Usershewolf75 HB User

My rheumie seems to think d-mab will be approved pretty quickly, and I think he is cautiously optimistic about it. I am sure there will be side effects and will be very expensive, but the fact that it's not one of those cursed bisphosphonates is a point in its favor as far as I'm concerned. My rheum pulls no punches and will tell me up front all the drawbacks, which makes me grateful I found him. Anyhow, at least they're working on other meds for osteo that might work.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
(female)

Kathy1813 HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will be glad to hear more about this and the side effects. I, too, am glad that they are still working on giving us more options from which to choose.

Closed Thread