It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User
How to Prevent Osteoporosis

One of the leading causes of osteoporosis is steroid drugs such as prednisone , hydrocortisone. They cause dramatic bone loss and do not cure any disease ; they make you worse long term .
Dairy products and animal protein in general actually cause osteoporosis. Even though milk cheese etc have lots of calcium , it takes more calcium to digest the animal protein than you get fromit so the net effect is a loss of bone. Try getting most , not neccassarily all, of your protein from vegetarian sources.
Bone drugs such as actonel are a scam . They dont work and have serious side effects

Old 09-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User
Re: How to Prevent Osteoporosis

There are other medications that cause osteoporosis e.g. antacids.
Silica will help keep bones strong. It is found in many foods .Watermelon has high levels of silica.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
(male)

Todd500 HB User

Just curious, what was your basis for the statement ; "cholesterol drugs don't work and shorten your life"?

Old 09-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

You can also read
Statin Drugs Side Effects by Duane Graveline MD
The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr Malcolm Kendrick
Malignant Medical Myths by Joel M Kauffman PhD
Hidden Truths About Cholesterol Lowering Drugs by Shane Ellison M.Sc

The bottom line is that they don't extend your life , just lower cholesterol, and have terrible side effects

Some of the side effects are liver damage , kidney damage , cognitive damage , extreme pain. The drug companies greatly underestimate these effects . If they say the side effect occurs in one percent , its usualy 50% . Dr Kessler MD(fda chairman) said that less than one percent of side effects are reported to the fda

Last edited by moderator2; 09-12-2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Old 09-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

au contraire...research overwhelmingly proves statins do work and do extend life. Unfortunately, like all drugs, a number of individuals will suffer severe side effects.

As far as steroids, their intent is not to cure, but to reduce inflammation. They, too, can be life saving for those of us with certain medical conditions. You are correct that they can cause osteoporosis. The paradox is that those of us on steroids or corticosteroids must take bisphosphonates, etc.; some of us do suffer side effects from those drugs also.

We must all research every drug our doctors prescribe and weigh the pros and cons for our individual well-being.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
au contraire...research overwhelmingly proves statins do work and do extend life. Unfortunately, like all drugs, a number of individuals will suffer severe side effects.

As far as steroids, their intent is not to cure, but to reduce inflammation. They, too, can be life saving for those of us with certain medical conditions. You are correct that they can cause osteoporosis. The paradox is that those of us on steroids or corticosteroids must take bisphosphonates, etc.; some of us do suffer side effects from those drugs also.

We must all research every drug our doctors prescribe and weigh the pros and cons for our individual well-being.
This is a forum on osteporosis not statins but I'll list some of the things I have read on statins.`
Wall St J Dec 18 , 2002 -There was no decrease in mortality as a result of statin use in a study of 10,000
JAMA 2005- even among those with high cholesterol , there is no lowering of the risk of death
Lancet 2007-Statins produce a less than one percent heart atack decrease and no decrease in deaths
They cause reduced function of mitochondria , lowering coQ levels ,increasing risk of congestive heart failure
Bearrice Golomb MD , UCSF professor, says statind dont lower one's risk of death
Archives of Internal Medicine 2006 -A study of 43,000 middle aged men showed no lowering of mortality with statin use.
JAMA 2004 -No reduction in mortality of 20,000 women with or without heart disease.
According to Mark Ebel MD , statins cause a slightly lower heart attack risk but no mortality decrease.
```

Old 09-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post

Steroids may get rid of one symptom temporarily but that symptom will be replaced with with a far worse one as a side effect of steroids sometimes years later. They reduce inflamation but it comes back worse. Steroids' side effects alone can keep doctors rich. They lower immunity drastically , cause cataracts, heart problems, acne, headaches, tendon rupture,glaucoma,lupus, hormonal irregularities, inadequate wound healing, depression,chronic pain, fractures ,infections, arthritis, confusion, psychosis,make allergies worse and have many more effects . Doctors always downplay side effects and far less than one percent are reported to the FDA.I value my immunity so I don't use steroids.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Crispy1...Do you ever take an aspirin?

Old 09-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatojuice View Post
Crispy1...Do you ever take an aspirin?
Tomatojuice,
Although aspirin is claimed to reduce the cahance of a second heart attack in men who have already had one , it increaes the risk of stroke . It is also bad for the kidneys and contraindicated if one has an infection because it lowers the immune response.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

Five months of steroid use will result in almost a ten percent decrease in bone and this is definitely not compensated for by use of bisphosphonates. Inflamation is a symptom not a disease and use of steroids will just make your health worse in the long run.For example that autoimmune thyroid disease you have or vascular inflamation is probablty a side effect of previous steroid use eg for a sore back after a car accident.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #11
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Crispy1...Do you yourself have osteoporosis and or osteopenia? And do you have any alternatives to suggest, other than conventional medicine. Also you seem to be condemning x-rays and dexas. What are the alternatives? What do you do if you have say a headache? Or are you perfectly healthy? We already know that one must eat right and exercise. You seem only to be suggesting that we read a miriad of books. When you are ill there is not always the time to read them. One sometimes must react immediately. As far as steroids, I had chemo last year for breast cancer, and used steroids before each chemo(#). I feel great, am 60 years young, and can run up the 5 flights to my apt.Very happy to be alive, and very thankful to the medical community. I had a 10.8% increase on my last dexa. I use strontium citrate, its a supplement, not a drug. I agree that biophosphates have many side effects, but for some there may be no alternatives. Basically I don't get what you are trying to say. All you seem to espouse is reading books about what is bad for you. Please tell us what is good and helpful.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Well said, tomato juice!

Old 09-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #13
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatojuice View Post
Crispy1...Do you yourself have osteoporosis and or osteopenia? And do you have any alternatives to suggest, other than conventional medicine. Also you seem to be condemning x-rays and dexas. What are the alternatives? What do you do if you have say a headache? Or are you perfectly healthy? We already know that one must eat right and exercise. You seem only to be suggesting that we read a miriad of books. When you are ill there is not always the time to read them. One sometimes must react immediately. As far as steroids, I had chemo last year for breast cancer, and used steroids before each chemo(#). I feel great, am 60 years young, and can run up the 5 flights to my apt.Very happy to be alive, and very thankful to the medical community. I had a 10.8% increase on my last dexa. I use strontium citrate, its a supplement, not a drug. I agree that biophosphates have many side effects, but for some there may be no alternatives. Basically I don't get what you are trying to say. All you seem to espouse is reading books about what is bad for you. Please tell us what is good and helpful.
I have a thread on how to prevent osteoporosis . Have you read it ? I also posted on someone else's how to prevent osteoporosis thread.I don't know what people do with their spare time that they don't have a few hours here and there to read a few books on disease especially if they have that disease.I don't know why your doctor gave you steroids but I think they are the most overused and dangerous drugs one can use. They are especially bad for the immune system and I wouldnt want my immunity lowered even more if I had cancer. Millions of people have illnesses that are actually just the result of steroid use in the recent or distant past.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Crispy1...Steroids are used during chemo to prevent inflammation and nausea.My oncologist used them sparingly in my case. He was aware of the dangers , and so was I. I am over a year past treatment and my immune system and white blood cells are just fine. Since you have never been faced with having such a deadly desease, you do not really know what you would do. Or maybe you would disregard everything that the medical community has done for all of us men, women and children. Yes many or most of these drugs are really awful, but they are life saving. I mean what else can you do..take a Flintstone vitamin.

Last edited by tomatojuice; 09-26-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

I think most of us here are well read and have researched osteoporosis and any other health condition we suffer till we're blue in the face, Chrispy1. We're not idiots and until you have walked in our shoes, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge. How nice for you that you have not had to choose steroids in order to breathe or to have any quality of life whatsoever.

As far as your thread on preventing osteoporosis, most of us here have already been diagnosed with it, so you're preaching to the choir. For some of us it is genetic and even though we took our calcium, exercised, etc. we still find ourselves with osteoporosis/osteopenia. I'm done.

Closed Thread