HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Osteoporosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/osteoporosis/)
-   -   want to try strontium (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/osteoporosis/711458-want-try-strontium.html)

59yearold 09-07-2009 05:27 PM

want to try strontium

I have an appointment with my gyno on Friday. I want to be taken off of Actonel. It didn't seem to help my last bone density any way. After reading all of the reports on it I know I don't want to take it anymore. I am really interested in the Strontium. Are there any side effects. One of the main side effects I get from drugs is constipation, so I don't want anything more that will constipate me more. I also have been reading about vitamin K2. Please let me know about side effects from strontium. Thank you

phylwill1152 09-08-2009 07:52 AM

Re: want to try strontium

Hi and welcome to the board. I've been taking strontium for over 3 years and haven't had any side effects at all. Some have experienced headaches and rashes, but of the people i know using it haven't had any problems at all. I don't take K2 so some of the others will be better to advise on that. When you see the gyno on Friday take some info with you about strontium...a search of strontium studies will give you plenty of info to choose from. take care..phyllis

jenj770 09-08-2009 09:02 AM

Hi,

I second the no side-effects from Strontium. I also take K-2. No problems with that either.

KATC45 09-08-2009 10:05 AM

Dear 59year old,
I went off Forteo, I was not sure what the long term effects would be down the road. Been on Strontium, taking a weight bearing class 3 times a week, and walking up to 4 miles everyother day. Also added K2, maganese, and extra vit. D. Love this site! just keep on trying to be proactive.

tomatojuice 09-08-2009 11:23 AM

Wow Katc...Sounds like your on your way. I really wish you the best.Keep up with the walking. If your interested "Leslie Sansone" walk away the pounds video3 mile walk is good. Exercise is good for so many things. I was able to go from osteoporosis to osteopenia. And although I do take strontium. A lot times I have forgotten to take it. Also I had to go off it for 7 months, and still got a 10.8% increase on my last dexa. I just reallly believe its the weight lifting and walking. I am also 59 years old. So rock on girl.

tomatojuice 09-08-2009 12:58 PM

Dear 59 yearold...I have been taking strontium for 3 years with absolutely no side effects. And I have gone from osteoporosis to osteopenia. But exercise I believe, also plays a major part in the improvement. As far as constipation...can you add more fiber to your diet, eat more fruits and vegetables, and walking . Also I think that if you take calcium alone without magnesium, this can also constipate you. But exercise will help both the osteo and the constipation. All the best.

59yearold 09-09-2009 03:49 PM

Thank you all for the advise. This board is wonderful

Chrispy1 09-12-2009 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=tomatojuice;4073694]Wow Katc...Sounds like your on your way. I really wish you the best.Keep up with the walking. If your interested "Leslie Sansone" walk away the pounds video3 mile walk is good. Exercise is good for so many things. I was able to go from osteoporosis to osteopenia. And although I do take strontium. A lot times I have forgotten to take it. Also I had to go off it for 7 months, and still got a 10.8% increase on my last dexa. I just reallly believe its the weight lifting and walking. I am also 59 years old. So rock on girl.[/QUOTE]
The increase that shows on x ray does not reflect strengthened bone or reduced fracture risk . The drugs add calcium to bone and cause swelling which accounts for the change in xrays.

montesflus 09-12-2009 01:44 PM

CHRISPY1 :

When you say the ''drugs'' - I assume you refer to the bisphosphonates? Correct? Or do you refer to certain ''over-the-counter'' supplements as well, such as Strontium Citrate?

BTW. A lawsuit against ''Merck'', the manufacturer of Fosamax, ended in a mistrial in New York this past Friday. It will therefore go to trial again. There are about another 900 or so cases pending re probs with Fosamax. This number does not include other cases also pending against the manufacturers of Boniva (shame on you, Sally Field!), and Actonel.

Monte

tomatojuice 09-12-2009 07:50 PM

To Crispy 1...Could you please make yourself a little clearer about just what you are talking about. You quoted me....and then said something about drugs. I do not use any drugs. I take supplements and exercise. That is how I got a 10.8% increase. Also please tell us where you get your information from, so that we might be able to give it some creedence.

Chrispy1 09-14-2009 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=montesflus;4076666]CHRISPY1 :

When you say the ''drugs'' - I assume you refer to the bisphosphonates? Correct? Or do you refer to certain ''over-the-counter'' supplements as well, such as Strontium Citrate?

BTW. A lawsuit against ''Merck'', the manufacturer of Fosamax, ended in a mistrial in New York this past Friday. It will therefore go to trial again. There are about another 900 or so cases pending re probs with Fosamax. This number does not include other cases also pending against the manufacturers of Boniva (shame on you, Sally Field!), and Actonel.

Monte[/QUOTE]
Monte ,
I read that story in the NYT business section . I thought it was interesting that the jury concluded that fosamax did cause "fossyjaw" but still did not find in the woman's favor because they said they did not know that the drug caused jaw damage in her particular case. The drug companies are ecstatic because how can one ever prove a direct causal connection between a drug and an adverse reaction unless there is no other possible cause ? I think she should have won . Are there any other causes of jaw destruction and what is their frequency compared to the incidence among people who use fosamax?