It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

irish eyes 1025 HB User
an update on me

I had my records and copies of my bone density test sent to my new primary care physician, and after our consultation, she ordered a large battery of bloodwork to be done. At the consultation we talked in detail about the pro/con of taking Actonel, I wasn't overly impressed that she was pretty much insisting I take it or nothing, but overall I liked her.

She emailed me a brief rundown of my blood tests. I have no celiac issues, my liver and kidney panels ok, but my vitamin D was very low. My thyroid needs to be re-checked in 4 weeks.

So for the time being, she has me only on "Citrucal plus bone density builder"(600mg calcium and 400 U Vitamin D) then she told me to take an additional 2000 IU of Vitamin D daily. I bought the kind with D3, not sure if that makes a difference.

I've decided when approached about it again, I will refuse to take any bisphosphonates. I would entertain the idea of taking Calcitonin or Strontium, or the new one coming out early 2010. I'm going to be in charge or will go to a doctor that understands my concerns.

So....does the vitamin regimine sound normal for a 55 year old female with osteoporosis?

Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: an update on me

Yes, I take Citracal also, about 5 pills per day. Hopefully the extra Calcium and Vit D will up your Vit D level. I also spend time outside in the sun everyday that it's out and I think that helps.

I don't blame you for declining bisphosphonates.It's sort of weird but the doctors want to prescribe what's available and on the market even when they wouldn't consider taking those medications themselves.

Do you go back to see the doctor after the next Thyroid test? I hoe you can get a reasonable treatment plan with this doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread