It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
(female)

wildflowers HB User
Strontium and side effects

Hi Everyone, I have osteoporosis, listed below is a article that I read that concerns me personally, I have to watch out for many of the side effects listed below. Right now it seems to be the choice of many for dealing with osteoporosis, I am hesitant because of my own experience with side effects on so many meds etc that I have taken over the years. It's hard to believe there isn't some side effects, it's almost to good to be true. For those of you that may have some side effects that are to minimal to bring to anyone's attention, but would certainly make a difference to some, I would appreciate any info you may have. Thank You so much for your help.

Strontium: I have not found a cell receptor for strontium (Sr) at this time, and to date, there are no
indications or medical evidence that strontium is essential to human health.

The action of strontium is closely related to that of calcium, although retention of strontium varies
inversely with calcium intake. Supplementing larger amounts of strontium increases calcium, but not
magnesium retention, and it has the potential to lower stomach acid levels, insulin, WBC, germanium,
fluoride, bismuth, and silicon. These effects should be kept in mind when considering strontium
supplementation in the treatment of osteoporosis.

In order to help increase bone mineral density (BMD), or for any of the above effects to take place,
over 1,000 mg of strontium has to be ingested daily (versus a few mg/day obtained through normal
food intake), and at those amounts, various medical problems may be experienced, which include
dental caries, rickets, abdominal spasms, nausea, diarrhea, headaches, skin irritation, blood clots,
fainting, memory problems, and seizures. As a result, strontium does not appear to serve any unique
or specific purpose that no other, or better tolerated nutrient could fulfill.

Similarly to iodine pills being somewhat protective in case of a nuclear accident, taking small amounts
of the (non-radioactive) trace mineral strontium may offer the same protection when being exposed to
the radioactive form of strontium. Some toothpastes that are marketed for "Sensitive Teeth" contain
strontium chloride as part of their formulation. ¤
________________________________________ ___

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
(female)

tomatojuice HB User
Re: Strontium and side effects

Wildflowers...Thank you for sharing this article. Must admit its a bit scary, since I take strontium 680mg daily. I really haven't had any side effects that I am aware of, being related to it. I have had some recent skin problems, but I also am a cancer survivor. So in the not too distant past I have taken some pretty awful drugs and had six weeks of radiation everyday for over a month. I am very interested in where you found this info. If you could possibly share it, it would be appreciated.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Good Morning tomato juice, I have been doing alot of research because I have side effects to everything. I went to my physician and asked him about strontium, he was not in favor of it because of side effects which I should be cautious about, not enough data and research on it. He said everything has side effects we just do not know it immediately, with drugs you do, other sources not so much. I left still feeling empty in my quest for info, on the way out the door his nurse who was in the room with us mentioned she took strontium for awhile and had to discontinue it because she got hives and a rash. Anyways, her suggestion was to try it and if I got a rash, discontinue it and see if that makes a difference, sorry for rambling. The nurse gave me two places to look at for info. National Osteoporosis Foundation support community and Acu-Cell Nutrition . The advice the nurse gave me that the doc didn't give me was pretty much what she decided to do, get all her calcium, and minerals etc from her foods. She also told me she started drinking ensure the one with 500 calcium, and 500 vit D, I have been doing that since my back surgery so I knew about that one. Thank you for sharing your experience tomato juice, there is no silver bullet with osteoporosis or any other medical problem, but there is good nutrition, good state of mind, lots of humor, music, walking, good friendshiips, family and research, lots of research. Blessings!

Old 09-29-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
(female)

wildflowers HB User

tomato juice. forgot to tell you that the one that got my attention in National Osteoporosis Foundation support community comment by Liz dated March 7, 2008 under side effects of strontium citrate. It had to do with blood clots which would be my most concerned problem. blessings!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Wildflowers...I went to the Acu-cell site. It suggest these problems come with doses of 1000 mgs or more. I have been taking 680mg evry night for almost 2 1/2 years. The exception being during cancer treatments for 7 months I went without the strontium. Following the cancer treatment , last Dec. I had a dexa that showed my hips within normal range, and a 10.8% increase in my spine. I then started taking strontium again around Mar 09. I stopped taking it this month, simply because I cannot afford it. I am having another dexa in Dec. I had read from the very beginning about the blood clot side effect, but went back to check on. It seems that fainting, memory loss, blood clots are uncommon side effects to strontium. Seizures are rare. In this respect I will still take it. Everything has side effects. I don't want to be bent over like my grandmother was. Everything we take will effect us differently. And everybody's desease will present differently. I saw this first hand in other cancer patients. Some will have a miniscular tumor and die from it. Yet some will have a large tumor and live, etc. We all must make the best choices for ourselves. The one thing I feel totally confident about is exercise and diet, and a good balance of calcium and other vitamins. I exercise daily since getting osteo, and feel great because of it. Even throughout my cancer treatment I did daily exercise. I believe we were meant to move about and enjoy life. You can even exercise with weights sitting in a chair and it will help you. Whatever one choose to do to heal, is their choice. And I wish health to everyone here. I myself have come very close to having to take biophosphates, especially during cancer treatments. I know that there are some people who do fine on them. And some who don't. In any case I am glad I chose not to, because I am have dental implants.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
(female)

wildflowers HB User

thank you tomato juice, I totally agree with everything you have said, I probably will always be in the percentage that has side effects no matter how minimal they may be. For me personally no matter how small the percentage of blood clots I willl always be in the high risk group, amount taken versus toxicity, I would still have to be very cautious. I almost died from lyrcia, the nerve meds after back surgery last year. My surgeon who prescribed it for me told me that the amount 75mgs should not have caused such a horrible outcome, finding out 25mgs the lowest would stilll have killed me had I not got care right away, now if I take meds I will always ask for the lowest possible amt. I am not on no meds whatsoever, I have alot of diagnosis, take a bowl of oatmeal each day for high chloesterol and it brought it down to the amazement of my cardio doc, try to do all the things you mentioned ( getting a little harder as I age) through diet, healthy living, exercise, most importantly a deep faith and trust, I have been able to help my body cope. I do believe also stress whether it be spiritual, emotional, physical, financial adds more difficulties. Take good care! Blessings!

Old 09-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Wildflowers...i just wanted to add that i've been taking 680 mg. of strontium for a bit over 3 years and have had no side effects at all. I've improved my bone density and have had only one small cavity since starting it. Everyone is different so there will be some who experience side effects to some degree. I guess the best thing to do is like your dr. suggested, give it a try and see what does or doesn't happen. take care..phyllis

Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi Phyllis, thank you for your reply, for now I think I am just going to stick with what I have been doing, after I get my next scan which will not be for awhile, and if it shows even more decrease in my bone density I will give it a try. It certainly sounds like a a better option then whats out there. Blessings!

Old 09-30-2009, 03:07 AM   #9
(female)

Myth HB User

hi wildflowers, I too am very sensitive to medications and have tried taking strontium which only gave me headaches & nausea
I have for over a year now been taking silica with good results & have had best increases in BMD than with any other treatment

silica has no side effects because it is nutrition not medication , it is the basis for proper development & growth that includes growth of bone
silica is what creates & maintains collagen which is important in making up the matrix which calcium is deposited in , by taking silica you are giving your body the means to grow bone rather than just loading it up with a mineral that makes the bone appear denser on the dexa scan.

silica is found in common foods such as oats,millet,barley,wheat,potatoes ,but as we age we lose more silica than we can get from food which is usually so refined that theres little silica left in our foods anyway.
I have been taking therapeutic doses of 2000mg daily with no side effects
except for strengthening finger nails ,hair ,skin & that I can happily live with
do some research into silica for osteoporosis ..it is the natural way to build bone
cheers myth

Old 09-30-2009, 04:29 AM   #10
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Oh my how wonderful, thank you Myth. I have been searching for something and I did not know what. I have been drinking Fiji water with 91 in it, I heard it was good for me but didn't know why, only that silicia was good. It is so good to talk with someone who is very sensitive to everything, I do believe they call us light weights, anyways that is what they called me in the hospital. You are a angel to me, I will do my research Myth. My concern for strontium was not only blood clots but articles that mentioned something about the mineral content in strontium that adds it to your bones thus giving false bone density readings. You have given me hope and I am extremely grateful, silica makes sense to me. Blessings!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:22 AM   #11
(female)

wildflowers HB User

I found this article, I hope it isn't to long for reading.

SILICA: THE COMMON LINK BETWEEN BONE AND CONCRETE

How often have you heard the admonition that if you are over 40 years old you should be supplementing with 1000 to 1500 milligrams of calcium every day? I believe this is a grievous error and requires major clarification. In the following I will describe to you why calcium alone is not the answer.

I have understood the significant relationship between calcium and silica for many years. Silica is crucial and is often over looked in the equation when bone regeneration or healing is needed. I discovered this first hand and experienced complete remission of chronic calcification of my neck vertebrae 10 years ago. I have been struggling to find a good analogy to express this mineral relationship ever since. While there is very good scientific evidence to support the importance of silica in bone development and health, I have always had a difficult time trying to relate the relationship of calcium and silica in a way that was easy for the general public to understand. Last week I was fortunate to catch an episode of “This Old House” on PBS. Part of the show focused on what a mason had to do to analyze the mortar used on the brick façade, which was crumbling, and in need of replacement. The analysis was primarily looking at the type of sand used in the original mixture. It immediately dawned on me that a logical analogy could be made between concrete and bone, that would more clearly explain the relationship between silica and calcium in the structure and remodeling of bone.

According to the history books, the Romans discovered concrete. Their use of concrete was one reason why they were such prolific builders. As everyone knows, concrete and plaster are now everywhere. We would not be living in the comfort we now are without concrete. A testimonial to its longevity can be witnessed in by viewing many ancient Roman buildings, roads, aqueduct, and other structures built with concrete and still intact today.

Concrete is the blend of three basic components: cement, sand or gravel, and water. When these components are mixed together in the right proportions, a substance as hard as rock is created that can be shaped into any form imaginable. Any one or even a combination of two of these components is useless because it takes all three to perfect the process.

The first ingredient, cement is made up of a number of minerals including calcium oxide (limestone)-65%, silicon oxide-25%, aluminum oxide-5%, ferro oxide (iron)-5%, and a touch of sulfate. Does this sound familiar? These elements are also found in bone. The

second ingredient is sand and or gravel which is generally composed of silicates. Lastly, there is water. Mix together two parts cement, with one part sand and one part gravel, add water and you have concrete.

What is very interesting here is the fact that while cement is made of primarily calcium, it will not harden into strong concrete without silica. It will harden, but it is very brittle, just like osteoporotic bone. Silica plays a small role in the ingredients of cement, and a larger role as part of the second ingredient of concrete, sand and gravel. In fact, the amount of silica in concrete is about equal to the amount of calcium.

Could it be that concrete and bone are a lot more similar than we think?

It is my belief that concrete and bone are different only in the aspect that bone is living matter. The implications of this fact are significant when viewed in the light of the current assumption that one need only supplement with large amounts of calcium alone to maintain strong bones. Calcium in its powdered form is not strong at all and cannot be utilized by the body to make strong bones in the absence of silica. These two elements work together, inextricably, to create both strong and flexible bone material.

Dr. Edith Carlisle, a research scientist at the UCLA School of Public Health, studied silica extensively in the 1970’s. She demonstrated beyond any doubt that silica played an essential role in bone formation and health. She demonstrated that regardless of the amount of calcium in the diet, without silica, the achievement and maintenance of healthy bone and other connective tissue was impossible. She hypothesized that silica created the collagen matrix with which calcium and other minerals could attach. In fact silica is the catalyzing mineral for the glycosaminoglycan enzyme required by the body to build collagen. It consequently is utilized throughout the body in the continual creation of collagen.

Up until now the connection between calcium and silica has been completely overlooked by mainstream medicine and mainstream media. Rather than simply accepting the obvious (the hard part of bone is primarily calcium), it is necessary for us to look more closely at the relationships between minerals. The case in point is the synergism of calcium and silica.

Silica is more prevalent than calcium in bone. This is because it also makes up the collagen matrix of bone which is actually 80% of total bone mass. A recent study of the effectiveness of calcium supplementation in preventing bone fracture revealed that calcium alone was not effective. The study involved 35,000 middle aged and older women and is the largest study to date examining the effects of calcium and vitamin D on bone health. While previous studies investigating calcium supplementation have produced mixed results, this study quite convincingly concluded that calcium did not produce the expected results. Calcium supplementation provided no protection from fractures or colorectal cancer, but did increase the risk of kidney stones. Had the researchers looked at silica or a combination of silica and calcium, the results would have been dramatically different. Bones, like cement, require a compliment of minerals, the most important being silica followed by calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus.

Bone is not concrete. It is a living component of the human body, but analogies can be drawn from the formulation of concrete and the combination of minerals that produced

a composite that has stood the test of time.

So, the next time you hear someone say how important calcium is for your bones, remember the Romans and how they made concrete. Bone is not made from calcium alone; we all need Silica, the missing ingredient for strong and flexible bones that will stand the test of time.
Silica vs. calcium in our diet

The last thing of importance to note in this analysis is the natural sources of these two critical minerals and the not so obvious misinformation about what you should be taking for supplementation. Calcium and silica are both quite widespread in the planet’s soils and so logically they should be easily bioavaliable in the foods we eat. This is where the logic falls apart. Calcium is readily taken up in fruits and vegetables especially green leafy vegetables which we usually eat whole and raw and frequently. Additionally, we are a dairy consuming society and dairy is also a significant source of dietary calcium. As a result, the ready availability of elemental calcium in our diets, on average, is good and adequate.

Silica, on the other hand, while widespread in our soils is not as widespread in our diets. It turns out that most plant sources of silica are concentrated in the outside husks of grains. In today’s world, these husks are always removed from the grains we grow. To further compound the error, we then remove the exosperm and the germ of the grain and call it flour. This process removes all of the minerals, and most of the fats and proteins normally attached to the grain kernel, leaving only the starchy endosperm. So, while bread is a mainstay in our diet, it is completely devoid of all essential minerals especially silica. This creates an imbalance of bone forming minerals leaving the body with only part of the bone formation equation. As in concrete, calcium alone does not come anywhere near being able to do the job alone. This is why, while we as a society consume more calcium than any other country on the planet, we have the highest rate of osteoporosis. This dilemma is not intentional. It is the result of assumptions based on incomplete observations and analysis in the search for a simple solution to a complex problem, as well as a lack of knowledge as to the important role all minerals play in our health, especially silica.

Rick Wagner M.S., C.N.,

Old 09-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Myth, I have not had a problem with Strontium but I have also been taking a product called BioSil (Silicone) as it was recommended for joint problems that I have. It is also recommended for hair, nails, bones etc. I wonder if this is the same as Silica. The directions on the bottle I have suggest 10 mg. a day. You say you take 2000 mg. of Silica, which makes me think it may be a different product, but accomplishes the same thing. Any thoughts?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #13
(female)

Canna HB User

Seems like calcium alone is not the answer but a snyergy of nutrients. Bonebuilding is no longer about 1 single nutrient but all working together or like the article ... bones require a compliment of minerals
By the way Wildflower..I found the article interesting which states that silica is crucial to bones... guess mainly because I have been taking the liquid form like JenJ is doing .. biosil.. 10 drops a day... tastes horrible but mix it with juice etc. and Biosil is the bioavailable form of silica. Here's hoping my dexa in a few weeks speaks for itself.... cheers!

Old 09-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canna View Post
I have been taking the liquid form like JenJ is doing .. biosil.. 10 drops a day... tastes horrible but mix it with juice etc. and Biosil is the bioavailable form of silica. Here's hoping my dexa in a few weeks speaks for itself.... cheers!
Hi Canna,

Actually, my BioSil is in capsule form. I take 1 AM and 1 PM. If the liquid tastes that terrible, and they are essentially the same product, maybe you could switch?

Do you take Strontium and Silicone?

Thanks,

Jen

Old 09-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
(female)

Myth HB User

hi wildflowers, an excellent analogy , silica is indeed the foundation of bone building ..not just calcium ,in fact excess calcium increases bone turnover and denser bones arent necessarily stronger bones

it is interesting that in countries that consume the least amount of calcium suffer fewer fractures & yet their bone density is less
it is a misconception to think that fractures are due to thinning of the bones what causes fractures is not low bone density but weak bone architecture (lack of silica) & poor self repair (lack of silica)
it is also important to remember that bone is a complex living tissue that needs ,calcium,magnesium, silica, boron,vit D etc etc there is no single nutrient that is going to 'fix it' but all in equilibrium..maybe the best thing we can do for our bones is to go back to a more primitive diet & leave the refined denatured foods behind.

hi jen , biosil is silica concentrated & stabilized in choline ..the reason it tastes so bad is the choline , I prefer mine from the herb I started of with 2000mg & have now halved it..the next dexa will tell me if it is adequate
there is a lot of debate about which type of silica is the best but thats another minefield to explore

Closed Thread