It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

wildflowers HB User
Soy foods curb hip fracture

Hi Everyone for your information. < edited > soy foods may curb hip fracture risk in older women.
I thought soy was not good for the bones, this is very interesting.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-23-2009 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Please don't copy and paste, from another website, per Posting Policy.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
(female)

tomatojuice HB User
Re: Soy foods curb hip fracture

Hi Wildflowers...Soy being good for the bones is highly debatable. There are many sites where you can read about it. Many, many vegeterians have given up consuming too much soy, or any soy for that matter. IT seems that soy is very high in phytolitic acid. This phytolitic acid inhibits the body from absorbing minerals, such as calcium. I myself have given up eating soy years ago, for this reason. In asian countrys they don't consume nearly as much natural soy products as we do. They eat it in very small amounts,, added to their soups and stews along with pork and beef, almost like a condiment. The only soy which they consume in large amounts are fermented soy, such as tempeh, and some othes. Soy that is fermented is very good for you, and does not contain phytolitic acid. There are a few other forms of fermented soy. There is also a fermented japanese product made from soy. I think the name was something like.....kinase. In any case I am one that gave it up entirely, except for tamari sauce, which I am pretty sure is fermented.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi Tomato Juice, Thank You!!! I have my answer thanks to you, I have been running hot and cold on the subject, I will not cause myself anymore undo stress by trying to figure this one out. I so appreciate your comment. Many blessings to you and all of us on our journey of research to find a better way to protect our health and especially our bones.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hello Wildflowers...i read the article you had posted earlier, but like tomatojucie i don't eat soy either. I am on total thyroid replacement and too much soy can interfere with the absorption of the meds and feeling good is not something i want to mess with. I have never really been convinced that soy does all that it says it does, but like anything else we have to sort thru all the info and decide whats right for us. Have a wonderful fall..opps i mean autumn. take care...phyllis

Old 10-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Thanks Phyllis, I think to be honest phyllis I had a different motive besides my bones. I was thinking estrogen replacement, every since I stopped taking my premarin, everything took a nose dive especially my bones. I thought someone said it was like estrogen, I have a friend who keeps her weight up because she feels there is estrogen in her extra weight. Myth versus fact will always keep us guessing. The leaves are beautiful here in Ohio Blessings!

Closed Thread