It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 03:01 AM   #1
(female)

stars_bright HB User
Worried about CTX result

I have not been diagnosed with anything yet but when I had blood tests in August my CTX was 57 ng/ml and the ormal range is 0.1 - 0.5! I was not given the results for 2 months - I finally received them in the post saying that I had not fasted before the test so come back for another blood test! But i HAD fasted before the test so I rang the hospital, nobody was very bothered and I was finally given and appt to see the consultant today. Now I have found out that the consultant is not in today, I am going to see a nurse and have more blood tests. I have so many worries and quetions that I am now not going to get chance to ask the consultant. As well as my CTX being so high my parathyroid level is also above the normal range but my calcium levels are normal. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with me and are my bones about to crumble?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
(female)

tomatojuice HB User
Re: Worried about CTX result

High parathyroid levels can effect your bone density. You need to find out what is causing your elevated parathyroid level. What is a CTX?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
(female)

stars_bright HB User

CTX is a test which measures how quickly your bone is being reabsorbed into your blood. I saw the nurse at the hospital today as the consultant wasn't there and she confirmed that my bones are disintegrating 100 times faster than they should be but said she didn't know what the consultant was going to do about it, I would see him in 6 weeks. Not very reassuring!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

So a CTX is a bone marker test, and it is a blood test. I have never had one. But from what I have read on line a CTX is not absolute. Have you had a Dexa (bone density test)? What the nurse said to you is scary, and probably uncalled for. No wonder you feel the way you do. A dexa would be more reliable. You need to speak to the doctor, and request a dexa. You really should remain calm. Right now you know really very little about how your bones are doing. And you need to find out what is causing the elevated parathyroid. Mine was caused by a small tumor(non-malignant), which I had removed. After that my parathyroid level was fine. I am sure there are other things also that can elevate it. If you get a dexa, and find that you do have osteoporosis, (it will tell you exactly how dense your bones are). Its far from a death sentence. There are many things you can do to improve bone density. Such as change of diet, exercise and vitamins. I was dx with osteo in 2007. I did all these things and now, I don't have osteoprosis anymore. This is a good site, you will find much info here to help you figure a course of action. Please be calm, and do not let one nurse seal your fate! Also if you parathyroid is just a little high, it may not mean anything, especially since your calcium is normal. All the best to you.

Last edited by tomatojuice; 11-25-2009 at 07:42 PM.

Closed Thread