It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

rosesink HB User
Cool Calcium

I was watching Dr Oz the other day and he had this recipe for muffins that according to him have the equivalent of 3 cups of milk per muffin, so thought I would share it. Below is the article:
"Say the word chia and most of us immediately think of little green pets. But we want you to think of chia for another reason: A whole grain used by the Aztecs as their main energy source, chia can help restore energy levels and decrease inflammation because of its omega-3 fatty acids. Similar to corn starch, chia can be used as a thickening agent and as a substitute for whole grains in your diet. Whole grains, of course, are especially important because they help stabilize blood sugar levels, as opposed to spikes and falls that can occur when you eat sugars and refined carbohydrates. Here's one way to use chia:
Chia Muffins
1 tbsp. chia seeds, ground (use a coffee or spice grinder)
1 1/2 cup whole wheat or whole grain flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt (You can use salt and pepper to taste)
16 oz. canned organic pumpkin (make sure there is only pumpkin listed on the ingredient list)
2 egg whites
1/4 cup high-quality canola oil
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 tbsp. vanilla
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients. Fold the wet ingredients and nuts into the dry ingredients, stirring only until dry ingredients are moistened (don't overmix). Spoon into paper-lined or greased (with canola oil) muffin tins. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Store completely cooled muffins in re-sealable plastic bags in the freezer. Makes about a dozen."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
(female)

tomatojuice HB User
Re: Calcium

Thank you Rosalink.....Always in the market for a healthy recipe. This sounds great. I have to buy a spice grinder though.

Closed Thread