It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
(female)

tomatojuice HB User
More Dexa Results

My Oncologist called with a little bit more acurate results. She said I had a slight increase in density in the left hip, and also in the right hip. The left went from -0.6 to -0.7, and the right went from -0.5 to -0.8 Although my main concern is always my lumbar spine which is -2.2., the increase in the hips(even though they are within normal range) is significant to me, because I have been reading lately that strength training is especially helpful to the hips. And it wasn't really until this past year that I consistently maintained a regimen of using weights. So that part seems to have paid off. Also the doctors no longer try to push me to take biophosphates, which is nice. The doctor I have now, makes me feel very positive.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
(male)

Todd500 HB User
Re: More Dexa Results

Congrats. Sounds like you're making informed decisions and doing your best to improve your overall health. Keep up the good work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Thanks TODD500 ...Hope all is well with you.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Congratulations on your hip increase and staying the same with the spine. Did you have a special type of DEXA scan which reads the scores for both hips? The tests I've had only read one hip and the spine.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI TJ, great news about your hips, a gain of any kind is good and gives us the motivation to keep up what we're doing. take care...phyllis

Old 12-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
(female)

Canna HB User

TomatoJuice.. great news with your hip density and of course when you don't decrease in the spine thats good news too.... Keep up the good work .. all your hard work paid off you deserve it. Yah!!!!

Old 12-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Hi Taape...Thanks for the congrats...Just wanted too answer your question about the test. On the paper that I have from last year the test is called 'DEXA DPX Lumbar/Femur Exam' ... it is the same tech and exam this year..and yes it gives the results of studies for both the right and left femoral neck, and the lumbar spine.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
(female)

osteopenia1 HB User

I am confused by your numbers. I thought good results should be less, not more, so higher - number means stronger bones??

Also there is a book called Building Bone Vitality that I am on the waiting list for at the library which sounds interesting.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Hi Osteopenia1... I was wondering about that also, because on my last years dexa my lumbar spine went from -3 to -2.2...which brought me into the osteopenia range. I have the transcript here in front of me, and it also states an increase in hips, although the numbers seemed to rise. I am confounded. But my doctor did say over the phone that I had a definate increase in the hips and gave me those numbers. I have always been mathmatically challenged to a certain degree. So I look forward to a discussion with my oncologist. Unfortunately I will not see her til Feb. 24. Maybe there is someone on this site, more enlightened and knowledgable about these scores, who could shed some light for now.

Last edited by tomatojuice; 12-19-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Closed Thread