It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

texastechex HB User
my recent DEXA scores

After 14 months, I had my recent DEXA. My numbers stayed exactly the same. My hips are 2.4 and 2.5 and my spine is 3.3. I took no medication, only calcium and vitamin D. Five months ago, I started working out with a trainer twice a week and doing cardio twice a week. My reaction is mixed, so happy it has not progressed, but so wanting my spine to improve a little bit. I think I will start taking Strontium after reading so many posts here with good results. If I read correctly, I can take it at night and take my calcium during the day. Thanks for all of the posts...you give me hope and keep me current on this disease. Happy New Year to all.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
(female)

tomatojuice HB User
Re: my recent DEXA scores

Hi Texa... I would say congrats on the the fact that there was no decline. Five months is a really short time to expect a great deal. I say , do not lose heart, keep up the good work. It took me almost three years from dx to progress from a -3 in lumbar spine to -2.2. My exercise program began slowly and progressed naturally to where I am today. In the last year I added avid light weights 3 0r 4 time a week, and was expecting a definate increase on my last Dexa this Dec.,. It did not happen, although I did have a slight increase in the hips. But my spine stayed the same. Throughout this process I have taken strontium on and off. My plan is to go back on strontium full time, and continue the walking, jogging lightly, and weights. I have even joined a gym. I will not give up. I see no other alternatives. If it helps ,I have read that the weights have more effect on the hips , than the spine. Great that you have not lost any density, keep going, progress will come. At the gym I mostly walk for 20 min, then lightly jog for 15, then back to walking for 15 min, then jog for 10 min, walk for 10. Then I do some streches and weight lifting, for about 20 min. On day s when I am not at the gym, I do some weight s while watching the tele.Good luck to you, don't give up, its way too soon.

Last edited by tomatojuice; 01-02-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI and welcome to the board . Tomatojuice gave you good advice. It took a lifetime of living to lose the density so give yourself time to get what you lost back. All the things you are now doing will add up to results with time. Also, keep in mind that there is a difference between bone density and bone strength. A person may not have the best density, but if the bones are strong that's saying a lot. I may not have the density i once had but from exercise i know that they are strong.

While at the gym you might want to ask the trainer about back strengthening and balance exercises as part of the routine. Good balance is important in preventing falls and is something we can lose as we age.

I too have been taking strontium for several years and did have gains at my last DEXA. If you have anymore questions about strontium we'll be happy to help. One last thing, don't stress yourself over this, its not good for any part of us. take care...phyllis

Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
(female)

texastechex HB User

Thank you for the encouragement. My endo. suggested Fosamax, but I want to try the Strontium and my exercise regimen for another year. Both of you inspire me to conquer the disease and also the fear...

Closed Thread