It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
(female)

Canna HB User
strontium users

Just wondering if the strontium users could discuss how much calcium they take separately from strontium. I have heard that you should take more than strontium so thats what I have been doing 680mg strontium daily away from about 1000mg calcium. Maybe others are taking less calcium if so did u see results with strontium or any thoughts?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: strontium users

Hi Canna..how's the winter treating you? I found a calcium supplement from twinlabs that is 1000mg. in one big tablet. I take it in late morning, the rest of the supplement later in the day and strontium at bedtime. The strontium bottle says to take at least 1000 mg. of calcium so i get that from the supplement plus what i get from dairy or the other sources. I don't worry about getting too much some days since the pharmacist at Walgreens told me that what our bodies don't need/use gets voided out. This is what i've done since starting strontium so i don't know if taking less would've made a difference or not. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2010, 04:05 AM   #3
(female)

ktnap HB User

Canna, I started taking Strontium in September, 2009. I think I take the same brand as Phylwill but I assumed the 1000mg of calcium to be taken should be at different times of day rather than all at once.

As far as calcium....I track what I eat in a day and if I get enough calcium through foods (1200 mg a day), I don't even take a supplement. I have no idea if I'm getting enough but I kept hearing health consequences (heart?) of taking too much in calcium supplements...

I don't know if the Strontium has helped. My last bone scan was in July, 2009 and it showed I had just "dipped" into Osteoperosis stage

Have either one of you had a bone scan since taking Strontium? Has it helped?

Last edited by ktnap; 01-18-2010 at 04:06 AM.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Kt, i've had good results with strontium. I had a scan after taking it for 9 months and then another 2 years later. Both showed an improvement of about 4% a year. My hips are now at the low end of osteopenia and the lumbar spine is slightly below -2. Everything takes time, so keep up all the good things you are doing for your bones, be patient and enjoy life along the way. take care...phyllis

Old 01-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
(female)

Canna HB User

Guess I will continue the 1000 mg of calcium daily. Yes I did see an improvement since starting strontium a real good improvement in the hip and small change in spine and like Phyllis said it takes time for it to work and the biggie with me I never had a fracture since taking it but I did have one fracture before strontium which makes me a believer in strontium for sure. Phyllis you had a good improvement with it too so that is encouraging. My new years resolution is to do more weight bearing exercises so I am working on that now...

Old 01-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
(female)

ktnap HB User

What do you both think about not taking calcium supplements if I get the daily requirement of calcium through food? Do you take supplements regardless of the calcium content you get in food?

Old 01-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
(female)

Canna HB User

I would think that as long as you are getting your daily requirement of calcium either food or supplements... should be fine I take calcium only because I have read that for strontium to work its best you need calcium but at different times with a bit more calcium than strontium but if you are sure you get enough that would be fine.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
(female)

Razz2 HB User

I am a new Strontium user. (3 days) I have been reading all that I can and I'm somewhat confused as to exactly when is a good time to take my calcium. I took the Strontium first thing in the morning and my stomach didn't like that. Today I took my Strontium with my breakfast and that seemed to be much more acceptable. Now I only need to know how soon I can take my calcium and at what intervals. You all seem to be so informed and I value your opinions. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can send my way.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Kt...i don't think it matters how you get your daily calcium as long as you get it. I take a supplement because i don't always get enough from food, some days i seem to eat a lot of calcium foods and others not many at all. For me taking the supplement assures me that i'm getting what i need to support the strontium. I've read it is best to get it from food, but then again I just heard that the labels aren't always accurate in listing the how much you're really getting.

HI Razz..welcome to the Out of the Box Bone Builders Club. The strontium i have says on the bottle that you can take it with food and for you that seems to be best for your stomach. When you take it with food just don't take it with a high calcium meal since too much calcium can compete with absorption since they both use the same pathways to do their thing. Its best to separate calcium from strontium by 2 or more hours. I take it during the day and the stronitum at bedtime so there is a big gap between the two. If you ahve more questions just ask...we have all learned from each other and like to share. take care..phyllis

Old 01-29-2010, 05:52 AM   #10
(female)

Razz2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
HI Kt...i don't think it matters how you get your daily calcium as long as you get it. I take a supplement because i don't always get enough from food, some days i seem to eat a lot of calcium foods and others not many at all. For me taking the supplement assures me that i'm getting what i need to support the strontium. I've read it is best to get it from food, but then again I just heard that the labels aren't always accurate in listing the how much you're really getting.

HI Razz..welcome to the Out of the Box Bone Builders Club. The strontium i have says on the bottle that you can take it with food and for you that seems to be best for your stomach. When you take it with food just don't take it with a high calcium meal since too much calcium can compete with absorption since they both use the same pathways to do their thing. Its best to separate calcium from strontium by 2 or more hours. I take it during the day and the stronitum at bedtime so there is a big gap between the two. If you ahve more questions just ask...we have all learned from each other and like to share. take care..phyllis
Hi Phyllis..Thanks for the input. I'm curious how you determined to take your strontium at bed time. My bottle says to take it first thing in the morning. I'm up for anything - just trying to understand the why's and what for's. Stomach still not too happy about this new intake but hoping this will subside with usage. I appreciate your input! Razz

Old 01-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #11
(female)

tomatojuice HB User
Smile Re: strontium users

Hi everyone..I started taking strontium in 2006 when dx with -3 in the lumbar spine. In 2008 I had breast cancer. During all the treatments (surgery,chemo,rads)I had to go off the strontium and all vitamins for about 8 months to year. Then in December of 2008 I had a bone scan(DEXA). It showed I no longer had osteoporosis,that I now had osteopenia. I went up to a 2.2 in the lumbar spine. It was a 10.8% increase. And also my hips increased by 8.6%. The one thing I never stopped ,even during my treatments was my walking and weights. As far as calcium I take 500mg of citracal plus, and also another 200mg from my multi vitamin. So thats 700mg. I figure I get the rest from food. I also watch what I eat closely. Taking too much calcium also concerns me, because I also have read that it can cause heart problems in women. This past Dec. 2009 I had another bone scan(they give them every year when you are a cancer survivor)because its one of the first places it could come back in. In any case I was cancer free, and I stayed at a 2.2 in the lumbar spine, but had a slight increase in the hips, which brought my hips to near normal. Also from 2008 to 2009 I was real laxidazical about taking the strontium, and went on and off it. Because I had no increase in the spine in 2009 I went back on it, and also joined a gym. The gym is fun, but really at 60 I am finding that I really do have to be carefull not to over do it. Too much, can take its toll on my legs and feet. I worked out so much the last two weeks, that this week I,m icing my feet and knees, and taking baths in epson salt. But, I lost 15lbs in two weeks. But I definately have realized that there is a limit to how much time I can put into walking, running and biking. Good luck to everyone.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Razz, when i started taking strontium 3 years ago i really didn't know much about it but learned from others who were taking it and did my own reading as well. At the same time i learned that in Europe and many other countries strontium renalate, Protelos, is the drug of choice for osteo. Since strontium citrate is the active ingredient in SR i started following the directions for taking it. Their recommended way to to take that is at bedtime on an empty stomach. Well, my stomach isn't always entirely empty, but if i do eat in the evening its something light like a fruit or a cup of tea. I recently read on another board that the best time to take it is an hour or so before breakfast. So, i really don't know what the best time is. IMO the best time is when you can fit it into your schedule and remember to take it. I have a bedtime routine that taking it fits into.

What kind of food are you taking it with? You may have to play with different foods to see which buffers your stomach best while the strontium is dissolving and being absorbed. Also, what brand did you buy? Is it just strontium citrate or are there other things added in too? Have a good weekend and if you think of anything else just ask. take care...phyllis

Old 01-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
(female)

Razz2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
Hi Razz, when i started taking strontium 3 years ago i really didn't know much about it but learned from others who were taking it and did my own reading as well. At the same time i learned that in Europe and many other countries strontium renalate, Protelos, is the drug of choice for osteo. Since strontium citrate is the active ingredient in SR i started following the directions for taking it. Their recommended way to to take that is at bedtime on an empty stomach. Well, my stomach isn't always entirely empty, but if i do eat in the evening its something light like a fruit or a cup of tea. I recently read on another board that the best time to take it is an hour or so before breakfast. So, i really don't know what the best time is. IMO the best time is when you can fit it into your schedule and remember to take it. I have a bedtime routine that taking it fits into.

What kind of food are you taking it with? You may have to play with different foods to see which buffers your stomach best while the strontium is dissolving and being absorbed. Also, what brand did you buy? Is it just strontium citrate or are there other things added in too? Have a good weekend and if you think of anything else just ask. take care...phyllis
Hi Phyllis and all who are responding - Wow! I'm so impressed with the quick replies and obvious offering of expreience of you osteroposis victims. I was first diagnosed 7 years ago with an advanced number of -4.2! That number has only changed throughout the years for the very brief time that I agreed to take Fosomax. (15 mos) Yuk! The side effects were too numerous and I've been using eZorb ever since. I have always been atheletic and remain faithful to the gym and weight bearing as well as aerobic activities. Even my doctor said that I do everything right - but........... Anyway my scores are not improving so decided to do away with the eZorb and turn to the strontium plus a complex calcium recommended by a lady pharmacist, who wrote a book, along with the strontium. (The eZorb stopped my back pains immediately) I'm taking Doctor's Best (can I say that?). Today I will begin taking at night. Originally I took the strontium with nothing then took with a banana. Tonight I will probably sneak in a snack, without any calcium, prior to taking the strontium and retiring for the night. I will continue to experiment with different foods until I find something that satisfies my stomach while taking the strontium. By the way, I'm 73 years old and have no problems with my physical activities and for the most part feel great! I have no other ailments and am not overweight. Thank you all for your input. I so appreciate being able to share my feelings/questions with others who understand. Razz

Old 01-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Razz...you can mention names of products on the board, you just can't give a website or link where to find it. I started out with Dr. Best strontium, but for the most part have been taking NSI Strontium. I've found it to be effective, safe and very reasonably priced. I get a 240 caps/per bottle for under $40. Have you tried a slice of bread? That may stay in your stomach long enough for the cap to dissolve and be absorbed.

I have learned that even when we do all the right things things can go wrong. I felt the same way and was surprised when i found i had osteo, but i also have treated Graves disease (hyopethyroid) which i feel is the cause of my osteo. The best we can do is do all we can to keep our bones strong. If you enable you private message feature i'll send you a few articles about strontium. take care..phyllis

Old 01-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #15
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Post Re: strontium users

Hi,
I don't take Strontium, but I was wondering what it was and where I can purchase it. I am 59 years old, and 2 months ago suffered a fracture of the T12 vertebra through an accident I had. Two weeks ago I underwent Kyphoplasty where they inject cement into the vertebra. I will go back to have it checked next week. In the mean time I have had allot of back pain and I feel myself bending forward which can't be a good thing. I take Evista and 1,200 mgs of calcium daily. It's hard to do any weight bearing exercise because of being in a brace all day. I can't go without the brace for more than 20 minutes. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Closed Thread