It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
(male)

adam70 HB User
calcium in acidic environment and cancer

What the calcium does when the stomach has to much acid, and if there not enough calcium in the body,from where the calcium is taken?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
(female)

Myth HB User
Re: calcium in acidic environment and cancer

adam, calcium is naturally alkaline and has a neutralising effect on stomache acid thats why its best taken away from meals..and if there isnt enough calcium in the body , the body will draw the calcium out of the bones

also if you have an acidic system from say an incorrect diet the body will draw calcium out of the bones in its effort to maintain a proper ph balance

hope this helps
myth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2010, 03:45 AM   #3
(female)

ktnap HB User

Myth, I'm confused.... All of my calcium supplements say it is best to take them with a meal. I don't usually take too many supplements...I try to get 1200g of calcium a day through foods... how can I do that "away from meals"?

Old 01-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

Calcium citrate can be taken on an empty stomach. Calcium carbonate (Tums, etc) should be taken with food for easier absorption.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:01 AM   #5
(female)

Myth HB User

hi ktnap, it does get confusing ...as I understand it the problem of calcium absorption and food is with supplemented calcium of which there are many different types , most are not easily absorped to start with ...if your calcium supplements say to take with food it is because they are hoping stomache acids will aid absorption

research has shown that foods high in oxalic acids and fibre (to name a few )are calcium inhibitors , you can research this yourself
the most absorbable supplemented calcium is calcium citrate that I know of
and the least absorbable is calcium carbonate which is often used in antacids

the calcium you get from food is the most absorbable and best utilised by the body and you are getting co nutrients as well

regards Myth

Closed Thread