It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
(female)

BrittleD HB User
Bad news, lower DEXA again.

Hi,
Well, my DEXA score is now 3.5. In 2007 it was 3.0 last year it was 3.3. So now what do I do. I cant take strontium and the Silica didn't help. I'm on 1800+ calcium and 2000 iu vitamin D3. My doctor wants me to see an endocrinologist now. I'll make an appointment soon. So I guess that means I will have to start taking a prescription of some sort. I've been on Forteo and Fosamax. The Forteo didn't do a thing for me and I coudn't tolerate the Fosamax. So dissapointed

Old 01-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Bad news, lower DEXA again.

Hi Britt, sorry to hear you didn't get the news you were hoping for. Have you been checked for secondary causes of osteo? If not that may give a clue to why your scores are going down and maybe that's why your dr. wants you to see an endo. Please do all the reading you can on different options before you decide which script to try. Have you looked at vit. K2? I wish i could be of more help, but right now i can't think of anything you haven't already tried. Please know that we'll all be here for you for support, kind words or just to listen. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
(female)

texastechex HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittleD View Post
Hi,
Well, my DEXA score is now 3.5. In 2007 it was 3.0 last year it was 3.3. So now what do I do. I cant take strontium and the Silica didn't help. I'm on 1800+ calcium and 2000 iu vitamin D3. My doctor wants me to see an endocrinologist now. I'll make an appointment soon. So I guess that means I will have to start taking a prescription of some sort. I've been on Forteo and Fosamax. The Forteo didn't do a thing for me and I coudn't tolerate the Fosamax. So dissapointed

I am sorry your scores dropped. We are very similar in our scores. Are you having problems with fractures? I have started strength training to build my muscles, and I gave up soft drinks in January. Please let me know what your endocrinologist suggests. Hang in there, you have all of us pulling for you.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Hi Phyllis and Texastechex,

Well, I made my appointment with the endocrinologest it's on Monday. My first appointment is suppose to take an hour and a half. I wonder what they are going to do for that long.

Texastechex, I have never had a fractured bone, not yet anyway. Are you taking any prescriptions for your osteoporosis? Maybe I need to work out harder too, I only use about 6 or 7 pound weights.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
(female)

Canna HB User

Quote:
Hi Phyllis and Texastechex,

Well, I made my appointment with the endocrinologest it's on Monday. My first appointment is suppose to take an hour and a half. I wonder what they are going to do for that long.

Texastechex, I have never had a fractured bone, not yet anyway. Are you taking any prescriptions for your osteoporosis? Maybe I need to work out harder too, I only use about 6 or 7 pound weights.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
(female)

Canna HB User

Brittleb so sorry to hear of your score going down. Just wondering why you cannot take strontium citrate. Wishing you good luck with your app't. I am assuming you had your vitamin D checked too? What works for one person doesn't always work for another.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Hi Canna,
I tried the strontium and it gave me really bad headachs, not even a pain reliever would help. I really wanted it to work and I still have a full bottle of it. I could try it again I guess. Yes, I have had my vitamin D levels checked and it's on the higher side now since I'm taking 2000iu a day.

Thank you

Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
(female)

Canna HB User

Quote:
Hi Canna,
I tried the strontium and it gave me really bad headachs, not even a pain reliever would help. I really wanted it to work and I still have a full bottle of it. I could try it again I guess. Yes, I have had my vitamin D levels checked and it's on the higher side now since I'm taking 2000iu a day.

Thank you
Brittle that is too bad about the headaches from Strontium. I have never had that problem. You can only do your best and I try now not to think of numbers or scores but to concenetrate on making bones stronger. Keep us posted on your app't hopefully you can come up with a solution.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Hello everyone,
Well, I went to my endocrinologist. She wanted to put me on reclast. I said "no way". She agreed with me and said she respected my decision about it. She kind of said I was too young to go through all the side effects that it would have since I would go on it once a year or every 2 years and then take a year off or something like that. The appointment was pretty much a waste of time. I really don't know why my regular doctor sent me to begin with. I knew my options. I guess my doctor thought she could talk me into taking it.

So. I guess it's just calcium, vitamin D and exercise, maybe gaining a little weight would help.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #10
(female)

texastechex HB User

I am not taking any meds, just calcium and vitamin D. When I was 26, had to have an emergency hysterectomy. It saved my life, but it probably caused the osteoporosis to arrive 20 years ahead of schedule. I am 49 and was diagnosed 4 years ago. Once my doc put me on Evista and I had a severe reaction, intense lower back pain. I walk two days a week and have a trainer two days a week. I'm trying to keep the muscles strong...

Old 02-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
(female)

Myth HB User

hi brittleD , just wondering what type of silica did you take,how much and for how long? if it was the herb in pill form you may not be absorbing it properly

if you want, you could try 'biosil' it is silicon in the form of concentrated orthosilicic acid that is choline stabilised and more easily absorbed , you only need a few drops a day

orthosilicic acid is the active ingredient in silicon that assists the body to create and strengthen bones it should be taken as an addition to calcium/magnesium/vit D

do some research on biosil and see if it might be worth a try since nothing else seems to have helped

all the best
myth

Old 02-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
(female)

Canna HB User

biosil it tastes horrrible but put it in your morning juice. Did you have good results with it Myth?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
(female)

Myth HB User

hi Canna, silica comes in many different forms ,I started taking herbal silica in a tablet and had good results on my last dexa almost 2 years ago
I have since reduced the amount to just one 500mg tablet a day along with calcium/magnesium/vit D
I will be having another dexa later this year just to confirm that this amount is adequate , if it is I will stick to the tablets

the reason biosil tastes so awful is the choline it is stabalised in but it is more easily absorbed and concentrated and you should be getting the benefits from silica faster...
so what ever works for you, we are all different

all the best
Myth

Old 02-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #14
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth View Post
hi brittleD , just wondering what type of silica did you take,how much and for how long? if it was the herb in pill form you may not be absorbing it properly

if you want, you could try 'biosil' it is silicon in the form of concentrated orthosilicic acid that is choline stabilised and more easily absorbed , you only need a few drops a day

orthosilicic acid is the active ingredient in silicon that assists the body to create and strengthen bones it should be taken as an addition to calcium/magnesium/vit D

do some research on biosil and see if it might be worth a try since nothing else seems to have helped

all the best
myth
Hi Myth,
I was taking the same silica as you for awhile. I took 1000 mgs a day and I think I had been taking it for about 9 months or so then I switched to another brand because it was less expensive, but it may not be absorbing into my system like you said. I looked at biosil it looks like it's kind of expensive also especially if you take 6 drops like it says for bones. I might try it though after the silca that I'm taking is gone.

Good luck on your next DEXA I hope the silca is working for you. Let us know, okay. Thank you BrittleD

Closed Thread