It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Unhappy Osteoporosis Question

Hi Everyone,

Can the symptoms of severe Osteoporosis such as, pain in the back and ribs, along with the tummy pooching out, come on, over the period of 8 weeks? I also had a fractured T12 that I injured this past November 19TH, and the Dr. fixed it through Kyphoplasty two weeks ago. The procedure did work and took the pain away only from that one section of the vertebra. My ribs in the front feel like bone rubbing bone. Will an MRI show these changes? I did have an MRI when I first got injured and it showed the fractured vertebra. If there were these changes from Osteoporosis would it show on a new MRI? Thank you for any help you can give.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Osteoporosis Question

I think an xray can show dislocated ribs or fractured ribs. If the osteoporosis is in your ribs bone and is severe enough it can show up on an xray. If there is bone rubbing on bone then I would wonder if there is a fracture or else it could be happening at one of the joints. I suppose an MRI of the ribs could show osteoporosis but I still think that the doctor would give you an xray first.

I had some really severe rib pain where I was having trouble breathing. The doctor said that it could either be a fracture or bruised rib or could be a pulled cartiledge or muscle near the rib cage. I never had so much pain, I could hardly move let alone breathe. Whatever it was it healed in about 2 months. The doctor said that I could get rib series xrays but that would be alot of radiation exposure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
(female)

sejohnson46383 HB User

I was diagnosed with severely advanced osteoporosis in 1983 at the age of 38. I felt as if my bottom rib was rubbing on my hips and if felt like a side ache to some degree. At the time I was diagnosed I had had 8 1/2 years of back pain. I found out that I was experiencing multiple compression fractures in my spine and that I had lost 5 inches in height from 1967 to 1983. I ended up with spinal reconstruction in 2 phases, wore a body cast for 7 months. I haven't had any pain in my ribs since then. I did develop a pooch in my belly and blamed it on inactivity and earlier corsets I was fitted for to give my back support. Now I think some of that pooch comes from an enlarged omentum compliments of Dr. Oz. because I have been overweight since my last baby in '82 and enjoy sweets(sugar) entirely too much!

Old 02-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
(female)

panderson HB User

I have developed a thickened abdomen since I began Forteo in June 2009. I was wondering if weight gain is a normal occurence with Forteo.

Closed Thread