It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
(male)

ubnsmkd HB User
30 yr osteopenia in hips and spine

One year ago i was told i have osteopenia in spine and hips -1.1 hips _2.2 spine.... doctors have no answers..... just had another dexa scan today... waiting results had all kinds of blood work testosterone is alittle low corstiol is high and i have a good amount or calicum in urine but no one knows why!!! iam so frustrated!!! really affecting my daily life cause i dont want to end up in a wheel chair or worse so young..... i was told this is rare for a male so young but no one can seem to help or give me answers!! thanks guess i needed to vent alittle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: 30 yr osteopenia in hips and spine

Testosterone is supposedly helpful for bone strength; if yours is low, that may be related.

Other risk factors:

* Low vitamin D intake (sunlight on skin, some fish, egg yolks, supplements, fortified foods).
* Low calcium intake (some kinds of green vegetables are good calcium sources, as is tofu made with calcium sulfate, in addition to the usual dairy products, supplements, and fortified foods).
* Lack of weight bearing exercise.
* Low body weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2010, 05:02 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Good info. from tlhb. You might also want to read the book

The Myth of Osteoporosis by Gillian Sanson

Old 02-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
(male)

ubnsmkd HB User

Thanks for the info! Doctor mentioned something about a dieateric....

Old 02-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
(female)

sejohnson46383 HB User

My sympathy to you. I am white F, now age 63. At 38, with 4 children, ages 12-2, I was diagnosed with advanced osteoporosis. I presented with 8 1/2 years of back pain and at the point of seeing the right dr. had multiple compressed fractures in my back, a dowager's hump already appearing and like you, was throwing off a lot of calcium in my urine. Had a bone biopsy, and was finally diagnosed with hypo-phosphatemic osteoporosis. In a nut shell, that means my kidneys were unable to process the intake of calcium to my bone. For all but 3 months, I had been either pregnant or nursing during the entire 10 years prior to my diagnosis. I perceive that you are a male so I can't say this was the cause but I recommend you either contact an endocrinologist or an orthopedic surgeon at a teaching hospital. That's where I got the appropriate help. Are you losing height? From 1967, when I got married to 1984, when I was diagnosed, I lost 5 full inches in height. My best to you.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
(male)

clant HB User

Dear S E Johnson

I am also a newbe and male. OK, I am considerably older than you - I am 55 - but that is still much too young to be having Osteoporosis problems (I have osteoporosis in the spine and osteopina in the hip and have had three rib fractures in the last 18 months with no major stress to cause them ).

My Testosterone is fine for my age, which probably means it is similar to yours if yours is a bit down, which suggests to me its is NOT about testosterone levels).

Also, my blood calcium count is normal. But just because one has calcium in one's blood does not mean that calcium being taken from one's bones is not a problem. Maybe the good count in one's blood is because it has been taken from one's bones.......

I am convinced that my vit D deficiency is part of what has caused it for me. I would say get that checked if you have not already done so.

My approach is not to think about wheel chairs, but what I need to do to get my bone strength back. It is complicated but the science on this is moving forward quickly and, with the right information, some pretty good decisions can be taken now to help.

All best in your road to regaining bone strength. Clant

Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
(male)

ubnsmkd HB User

started hydrochlorothiazide for calicum ima losing in urine doctor thinks thats where my bone lose is coming from

Old 03-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
(female)

sejohnson46383 HB User

I hope you will consider getting yourself to teaching hospital if you can at all. Throwing off a lot of calcium in your urine is not good. You could end up with kidney stones. If you already have osteoporosis ( I think you said you were fairly young) already, you could be facing a Dowager's Hump, broken bones, difficulty breathing, loss of height, etc.
If you are in the Chicago area I recommend you contact Rush Univ. Medical Center or Univ. of Chicago hospitals. Rush will work with you in a team of physicians that are related to your symptoms. I understand your frustration but know if you have odd or different symptoms, these guys are often VERY interested in such a case. My best to you.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
(male)

ubnsmkd HB User

thank you for the response!!! iam just so frustrated doctor tells me iam a leaker.... ok why am i leaking????? got to be something causing it right or wrong??? i also was diagnosed with a cyst on my pitutary gland 1 yr ago... but all blood work shows its not causing any problems just sitting there..... i just dont get!!!!! i feel as if my hands are tied and i feel as if doctors dont take me serious..... my parathyroid horome was 24.7..... my vitamin D 69 and blood cal 9.4 i just dont get why iam urinating it ......how are you now that you found the cause?? i eat very healthy work out 5 days a week...... rush was actually the hospital that diagnosed me with ostepenia and now my insurance doesnt cover them any more..... and all my back pain doctors say has noting to do with the osteo.....

Closed Thread