It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

GoodGrayce HB User
What are the "rules" on calcium and meds?

I was just diagnosed with osteoporosis and my doctor wants me to do the IV Reclast. I was ok with it until I got back to the computer and did some research. WHOA! After reading the FDA warnings, medical journal warnings and patient horror stories about bisphosphonates (Fosamax, Actonel, Boniva, Reclast) I changed my mind. Blog after blog after product safey warning after news article after lawsuit briefs all report the same issues: osteonecrosis of the jaw, spontaneous (or low energy) femur fractures, disabling bone pain, and atrial fibrillation occurring immediately or years after the treatment. Bloomberg.com reports over 900 lawsuits have been filed (some class action) over irreparable damage caused by bisphosphonates. There is just too much risk in my mind to take the drugs at this time.

All that said, I will focus on calcium supplementation (with D3 of course), diet and exercise. I do have hypothyroid that I am actively working on getting under control with compounded T4/T3 meds.

I am taking a microcrystalline hydroxyapatite Calcium (Australian bovine bone) with D3, vitamin K plus as recommended by a pharmacist bud. It's supposed to be pretty good. I guess those Aussie cows have good bones. LOL. Plus I take an extra 2000 iu D3.

QUESTION: Is there a rule of thumb when to take calcium supplements? Should I take them an hour or so apart from the thyroid meds? With foods? Is there any foods to avoid that inhhibit the absorption of calcium? I want to get the maximum benefit from the calcium.

any help and suggestions would be most welcome!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2010, 03:59 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User
Re: What are the "rules" on calcium and meds?

Hi,

My understanding is that thyroid meds should be taken away from everything. I take my Armour first thing in the AM sublingual. This means the thyroid bypasses the gut and you don't have to wait to eat or take other supplements, but I do wait about 15 minutes anyway. I've also taken compounded thyroid and I know that it can be taken sublingual as well. If you take the thyroid with water you would have to wait a lot longer. I think they recommend 2 hours.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
(female)

GoodGrayce HB User

Thank you! I appreciate the help...

Old 02-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Avoid all soy foods, unless they are fermented(like tempah & soy sauce). Soy is high in phytic acid, which stops you from absorbing all minerals, such as calcium etc.You can look this up, and get a far more detailed explanation. In any case I myself gave up soy years ago, and have been doing very well. Along with diet changes, calcium and vit., omega 3, strontium citrate and plenty of exercise, walking and weights ....have had significant increases in bone density. I no longer have osteoporosis, but am in the low osteopenia range. No biophosphates necesssary. Also avoid drinking soda. Green tea..mixed with a little fruit juice to taste is much better.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
(female)

GoodGrayce HB User

Thank you. It's good to hear that improvements can be made without the drugs. Soy is not good for my thyroid so I've been trying to avoid it but dang, those rats put soy in EVERYTHING nowadays. Now I have even more incentive to avoid soy.

Thanks again. I do appreciate the replies and information.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
(female)

ktnap HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatojuice View Post
Along with diet changes, calcium and vit., omega 3, strontium citrate and plenty of exercise, walking and weights ....have had significant increases in bone density. I no longer have osteoporosis, but am in the low osteopenia range. No biophosphates necesssary. Also avoid drinking soda. Green tea..mixed with a little fruit juice to taste is much better.
Hey tomatojuice, Congrats on your improvement!! You mention omega3 in your list... how do you get that? Food? A supplement?

Old 02-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #7
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Hi Ktnap..... I take omega -3 in a supplement, that I get sometimes from the vitaminshoppe. But, recently bought it at duane reade, at a super sale. Its fish oil. You basically get it from eating certain fish , such as salmon, sardines and some others. I have been taking the supplement for a long time . The American diet associaition reccomends eating these types of fish at least twice a week for your heart. Omega 3 lowers tryglycerides and raises HdL(the good cholesterol). There have been so many studies on omega 3, that they now even put it in baby formula. The most recent studies suggest that it may stop you from getting alzheimers. It can also help lower blood pressure, as it acts as a blood anticoagulant. I also read it helps with osteoporosis. Many different vitamin companys make it. The very expensive ones say that the fish they use comes from less polluted waters. The vitamin shoppe ones, say they are pure and uncontaminated. I cannot afford to eat fish 2x a week, and I really don't like it much, except salmon. I probably eat salmon once or twice a month. My budget is really limited, so I pretty much try to buy all my vitamins on sale. Oh . yes omega 3 have also been found to help with depression. If there was one vitamin I would not give up, it would be omega 3. All the best to you.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
(female)

ktnap HB User

tomatojuice, Thanks for your quick reply! I do take at least one capsule of fish oil a day myself. I don't know how good it is, it's just Nature Made brand that I pick up at the grocery. But, I figure it's better than nothing as I can't stand the look/smell/taste/texture of fish!

Last edited by ktnap; 02-15-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
(female)

123pumpkin HB User

Hi all,
I am new to this website but am very glad that I found this. Not sure on how much to take of the strontium citrate and omega 3. Thinking about starting a multi vitamin with K. I am currently taking 1,290 of Calcium supplement and adding the other 300-500 from food groups and the D3 is with the Calcium and amount I'm taking is 750IU. I was recently diagnosed with Osteopenia and also hypothyroidism. I had a hysterectomy and both ovaries removed a little less than 3 years ago. I am thinking about starting estrogen if my gyno approves. Any info. would be great!
Thank you!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGrayce View Post
All that said, I will focus on calcium supplementation (with D3 of course), diet and exercise. I do have hypothyroid that I am actively working on getting under control with compounded T4/T3 meds.

QUESTION: Is there a rule of thumb when to take calcium supplements? Should I take them an hour or so apart from the thyroid meds? With foods? Is there any foods to avoid that inhhibit the absorption of calcium? I want to get the maximum benefit from the calcium.

any help and suggestions would be most welcome!
Just be careful and stick to your plans. You can't afford not to. I was on Actonel for 3 years and suffered fatigue and joint pain terribly. My doctor did not believe there was a connection. After I went off I did get the relief so know there was a connection.
Since most of the drugs at that time were bisphosphonates, my doctor told me to take calcium and vit D and exercise and didn't press that I take another med at the time.. Well, I do take the calcium and vit D and started out exercising. Somewhere along the road I've been slipping due to stress and family matters and excuses, excuses, so haven't been getting in next to no exercise and sometimes even forget my calcium. My bones this last year have been showing my neglect. I can see they are thinner and my skeletol body is visibly changing. If you are going this route, stick with it and don't forget or neglect and do everything you can to perserve your bones. Take care.

Closed Thread