It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
(male)

clant HB User
Thumbs up New to the board

Hi,

I am new here. I am 55 year old man dx osteoporosis in November 2009.

Dexa scores:

Lumbar spine (Osteoporosis)
L1: t -2.4,
L2: t -1.8,
L3: t -2.4,
L4: t -3.7,
Left Hip: (normal accept for hip neck which is Osteopenia)
Hip Neck: t -1.7
Left forearm: (normal).

I have so far have no discernible pain or fracture in the spine, but I have had two or three rib fractures in the last two years caused with minimal stress to the bone (eg, just straining to take off a gum boot)

I was also Dx Microscopic Colitis (lymphocytic colitis) in the last 2 years. I have discovered I am Gluten, Diary and Soy intolerant and have been avoiding such foods for seven months (fractures started before this diet change). I may be an undiagnosed celiac and am aware that celiac (and other GI tract/IBDs) predisposes to osteoporosis. Since my early 20s I have had intermittent heart burn/relux with a Dx of hiatus hernia, but since going gluten free that has gone.

The reason for all this background is that I am worried about the drugs I may have to go on. I am now supplementing in vit D, B and calcium and going on brisk walks.

Can anyone give some advice on what I should do re medications?

Thanks for reading, clant

Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: New to the board

Hi,

You may want to check out Strontium. There have been many discussions on this board so you could do a search. I take the NSI brand, 2 capsules in the evening and away from my calcium. Vitamin K would also be good to add to your regime.

All the best,

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
(female)

Canna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Hi,

You may want to check out Strontium. There have been many discussions on this board so you could do a search. I take the NSI brand, 2 capsules in the evening and away from my calcium. Vitamin K would also be good to add to your regime.

All the best,

Jen
I'm with Jen check out strontium don't forget your vitamin D very important.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI clant. welcome to the board . I too am taking strontium. A thought about the meds you are taking for your other conditions, have you checked to see if osteo is a possible side effect from taking them on a regular basis? If so you could ask your dr. if there are other drugs available that would do the same thing but with the bone density loss. Do you have a family history of osteo in the men or women? Have you been tested for secondary causes of osteo? Do you have any of the other risk factors?

With your digestive problems you might want to talk to your dr. or pharmacist to see which calcium and other supplements would be best for you take. You don't want to take anything that is going to aggravate the colitis or cause other problems.

Your scores aren't that bad with the exception of the L4 score. You can listen tow what your dr. has to say then decide for yourself how you want to improve your density. Brisk walking is good and so is weight training. if there is anything else we can help with just ask...we're a very helpful bunch here. take care..phyllis

Old 02-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
(male)

clant HB User

Dear Jen, Canna and Phyllis

Thank you sooooo much for your responses. It is very comforting to get replies.

I have added vit K to my supplements (even though there is some discussion about blood clots)

I have been studying strontium and it does seem like a less dangerous way to stimulate osteoblasts and suppress osteoclasts. Why does my MD not suggest this I wonder? She is aware of it, but I think she is reluctant due to my sensitive/intolerant colon. She seems to prefer the bisphosphonate that I can take orally once a week. From what I can tell it is ok to take these drugs for about three years but after that there are some question marks. Have I got that right?

I have also been reading that too much gut serotonin can reduce suppression of osteoclasts and thus create an imbalance of osteclast/osteoblast activity leading to osteoporosis. This could be linked to my gut inflammation (Microscopic Colitis).

I am also reading a book called "Osteoporosis - Diagnosis, Prevention and Therapy" by Reiner Bartl and Bertha Fricsh. Seems pretty comprehensive. Does anyone else have a view on these authors?

With best wishes and again thanks for your replies, clant

Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Hi Clant,

Another book for you to consider: The Myth of Osteoporosis

Regarding gut problems, I took Fosomax many years ago for one month and thought I was (literally) dying. I finally saw a gastroenterologist who told me to go off it immediately. I did and the terrible gastro symptoms I was experiencing went right away.

I have had absolutely no side-effects from Strontium. I actually think it is pretty mild, especially as compared to the biophosphates! Do some research on them and the side-effects yourself before you decided to go ahead. The book I mentioned above has lots of good info. on this.

My doctor was actually all for me trying Strontium so I guess it depends on the doc and how conservative they are in their treatment.

Whatever you decide I wish you all the best,'

Jen

Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi clant, you brought up a good point..."why don't drs. tell us about strontium?" well, the way my dr. put it was that since strontium isn't a FDA approved treatment that he can't in good faith tell his patients to try it. I think the real reason is that they are protecting themselves from malpractice suits in the event something does happens. It was when i told him that i wouldn't hold him in any way responsible if something did happen in the future that he stopped trying to talk me out of it. He has seen the results i've gotten, but until it has the FDA stamp of approval he won't be telling anyone to try it. Canna is fortunate that her dr. not only knows about it, but is supporting her decision to use it. Also, please check out the book she recommended, its by Gillian Sansone and will be a very helpful read for you. Like Canna, i have had no side effects from taking strontium other than improved density. take care..phyllis

Old 02-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #8
(male)

clant HB User

Dear Jen and Phyllis

I will try and get a copy of the "The Myth of Osteoporosis". The book I am currently reading seems pretty comprehensive and, I think, objective.

My doctor just rang me to say my latest blood tests shows I am low on vit D and I should supplement. Well, I already knew that ( Low vit D is a classic attribute of Lymphocytic Colitis - LC). Anyway, it is good she is keeping up with her patient's knowledge (actual I must be the client from hell for her ). I reminded her that since mid January I had already been taking a 2000 IU pill per day. The real questions are: is my GI system absorbing the supplement? should I increase the dose? should I go on a beach holiday?!!!! (no to that last one - 'cos I need to earn money to pay for the doc and all the medications )

I also know that LC is related to Celiac disease and that there is new evidence that approx 20% of Celiacs have an autoimmune response to a protein called OPG which controls osteoclasts. Autoimmune attack on OPG will apparently promote rapid bone loss.

I am hoping to have a test to see if I have the antibody that attacks OPG. (I have two genes that predispose to celiac)

I am determined to conquer this attack on my bones (just like I am determined to conquer my LC). But, I know that means that I have to take responsibility for my own health.

Thanks for listening, Clant

Last edited by moderator2; 02-27-2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Closed Thread