It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
(female)

BrittleD HB User
Weight lifting for low bone density in hips.

Does anyone know what weight lifting exercise would be the best for hips? Should I be doing squats with weights? Would that work the hip area? I do light weights with my arms, but what about the hip and other areas. I also was told by my doctor to do yoga. I just started doing that too.

Thank you

Old 03-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Weight lifting for low bone density in hips.

HI Britt...i read a while back that if you could do only had 2 exercises to choose from one being a squat and the other push ups that squats would be the one to go with that did the most good. I guess they figure keeping your lower half strong is better than having a strong top half. To add extra umpf to your squats hold weights in both hands starting light and adding more as you get stronger. Vary the space between your feet when you squat or rest just your toes on the ground and use the other leg to squat and then switch legs .You could find more if you look up hip strengthening exercises. Talk to a trainer or PT or just go out for a nice brisk walk. Yoga is good for so many parts of you. Just be careful of some of the big twisting or deep bending moves. take care..phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Hi phyllis,
Okay that sounds great! I'll give that a try, it just makes sense to do squats with weights to me too. I'll also look up hip strengthening exercises. Good idea! Thank you!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
(female)

Myth HB User

hi brittleD, heres another one for the hips
lie on the floor on your side and raise one leg as often as you can prefereably with ankle weights , change sides and do the same with other leg
this helps strengthen the muscle around the hip bone

myth

Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth View Post
hi brittleD, heres another one for the hips
lie on the floor on your side and raise one leg as often as you can prefereably with ankle weights , change sides and do the same with other leg
this helps strengthen the muscle around the hip bone

myth
Thank you myth, That sounds like a great one too, and I have been doing that one for years without weights, because I have an old tape that has that as one of the exercises. I'll use weights now all the time. Thank you

Last edited by BrittleD; 03-03-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittleD View Post
Does anyone know what weight lifting exercise would be the best for hips? Should I be doing squats with weights? Would that work the hip area? I do light weights with my arms, but what about the hip and other areas. I also was told by my doctor to do yoga. I just started doing that too.

Thank you
I do leg lifts with ankle weights,both standing and on the floor. Walking up and down stairs and getting up and down from a chair about ten times without using your hands. Any exercise that puts strain on the hips. Strain is what supposedly gives the signal to the bone to produce new bone cells.

Closed Thread