It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
(female)

SakuraKi HB User
Concerned daughter :(

My mother is 55 years old. She was diagnosed with osteoporosis about 2 1/2 years ago. At that time she was categorized as a level 1. Two years later she is a level 4. To me, that seems like a very fast deterioration! Now, I have some suspicions and need help from others to put my mind at ease. My mother has been receiving cortisone injections for about 3 years. She has been receiving these injections frequently over the years....I am worried that there may be a link between cortisone injections and my mothers fast deterioration. The reason why I believe that is that she has been following all doctors orders. She was on Boniva during those 2 years and she always took her supplements (calcium.vitamin D ..etc) So I don't understand what she did wrong... Can anyone please share their opinions with me? Any story/advice is appreciated!

Thank you so much for reading<3

Last edited by SakuraKi; 03-22-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: Concerned daughter :(

It seems that - yes - there is indeed a connection between cortisone shots and osteo. What was the reason she needed these shots? I would do some research online re Boniva, too, which is a Bisphosphonate med. Do a search under ''side effects of Bisphosphonate medications'' and check out what comes up. I'm not allowed to post specific websites on this board.

monte

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Yes large doses of steriods can draw the calcium out of the bones and cause bone loss. Did doctor who is following her osteoporosis know that she is getting these steriod shots? If they are different doctors they may want to speak with each other (with your mom's authorization of course) to decide what the best treatment is.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
(female)

SakuraKi HB User

Monteflus :

Thank you for your quick response. I'm sad that my suspicions seem to be true because if we had known before we would have had my mom do surgery for her herniated discs instead of having her receive cortisone injections :/(she has herniated discs in the cervical and lumbar spine.)My family and I talked it over and our last and best option right now is to go for surgery , that way she can stop receiving these injections that are doing her harm.

Taape :

Thank you for responding! The anesthesiologist she had been seeing for those three years did know of her condition, in December of 2009 he read me mom's bone density test and seemed surprised at how fast her bones deteriorated. Her primary doctor and her anesthesiologist both new about her history with Osteoporosis and her primary doctor did know she was receiving cortisone injections. I am very confused as to why no one ever warned us..I must say I am really at a loss for words. I am feeling frustrated, confused, worried ..as you can imagine.

Thank you again guys for helping me and my family understand more about the risk that cortisone causes people with osteoporosis.

* God bless you and your wonderful families <3

Last edited by SakuraKi; 03-22-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Closed Thread