It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
(female)

pianolady HB User
Osteoporosis, medication and vitamin D levels

A topic of discussion among the women on my mother's side of the family has been osteoporosis and vitamin D levels. Osteoporosis is rampant in our family and vitamin D deficiency is common. My mother, who will be 70 this year, has been on fosomax for many years (I'm not sure if she may be on a different medication now). My 53-year old cousin was just diagnosed with osteopenia. How is it that my mother's vitamin D levels are normal and my cousin's have been low? Does osteoporosis medication contain vitamin D? Is it possible to have gotten osteoporosis and still have normal vitamin D levels?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

firebird56 HB User
Re: Osteoporosis, medication and vitamin D levels

Yes, you can get osteoporosis with a normal Vit d level. It's the calcium being sucked out of your bones that causes osteo. I tell every woman that will listen. I just recently had a parathyroid tumor removed. How did I find out I had it? The "biggie" is a calcium level anywhere in the 10+ range (docs don't know this), an elevated PTH level, and losing calcium in my bones (as it happens my D was low, too--that is needed to absorb calcium properly). The parathyroid is what directs our calcium to the right & wrong place! IF YOU NEVER PAY ATTENTION TO ANOTHER BLOG, THEN PLEASE LET IT BE THIS ONE! Sent with only the best regards!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread