It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
I had a repeat DEXA scan yesterday

I've been on Forteo for a year and had a Dexa scan yesterday. My numbers are up 11.7% even though I still have severe osteoporosis. The Forteo regulates my calcium level and apparently that's what I need to grow bone.

My doctor is a researcher on bone density and I'm hoping that there's something besides bisphosphonates medication next year at this time that I could take.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: I had a repeat DEXA scan yesterday

HI taape, congratulation on the improvements, any improvement is reason to feel good about what you are doing. So bask in the good news and keep up the good work. The report i get after a DEXA always list anything lower/higher??? than a -2.5 as severe osteo, which always makes me wonder what they call scores of -4. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

firebird56 HB User

PLEASE TAKE THIS ADVICE TO HEART...There is a specific reason all of us lose bone! When your HIGH CALCIUM (ANYWHERE in the 10 range) shows up in your blood test, that is the best indicator of all about why it is not going to your bones. You also have LOW VITAMIN D, right? When you add your DEXA results to these two symptoms, as well as a PTH intact test (w/elevated PTH level), THEN YOU MOST ASSUREDLY HAVE A
PARAthyroid issue (primary hyperparathyroidism). I found the most famous doc in the world by looking up my high calcium. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: You should NEVER take a bisphosphnate when it is a PARATHYROID issue! Please respond back some day when you have researched what I am saying, okay? Good luck!

Old 03-25-2010, 05:41 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

firebird56 HB User

Sorry to be so blunt, but it is baloney if someone told you that Forteo will regulate your calcium! That is the function of your PARATHYROID! And obviously, your's is not functioning properly, as I mentioned in the other post. Thanks, Firebird56!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Hi Taape,

Well, firebird was blunt (as she says), but I must say I agree with her post. Additionally, Forteo has only a very short safety testing period. I believe it was 2 years. During this time they did find a high incidence of bone cancer in the rats tested.

I hope you will just take all this as information to supplement your own decision making process, and I wish you all the best.

Jen

Old 03-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi guys,
The doctor didn't tell me that the Forteo regulated my calcium but I thought it did. My calcium level was checked and is fine and so is my Vit. D level, and I had the PTH test, and these all came back normal. You might have me mixed up with someone else. But yes, I am doing research for options when I get to the end of the Forteo. There's clinical trials of a PTH patch that you wear 20 minutes per day vs having to do injections.

Low bone density doesn't mean my parathyroid isn't functioning properly from what I understand. But decreasing hormones as during menopause can cause bone loss.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

firebird56 HB User

I'm sorry, I must repeat this again. The PARATHYROID is what regulates our calcium, not menopausal issues. I have consulted with the world's most knowledgeable doctor regarding this very issue. IF, you have a high calcium level (anywhere in the ten plus range) then it is being taken from you bones and circulating in your bloodstream.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-09-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

firebird56,
I hear what your saying. Thanks

Old 03-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
(female)

StarSong HB User

taape:

Are you on your second round of Forteo, or it that someone else I'm thinking of?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Starsong,
It's me, this is my second round of Forteo. I'm glad to get an 11% bone density increase.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
(female)

StarSong HB User

Taape:

Glad to hear it went well for you. My endo said that not everyone can get a boost from a second round. Will you be taking it for the full two years?

By the way how long was it between your first and second rounds? My endo is not against a second round he just figured I would have to wait but I don't recall him saying how long. I also am curious to know what the possible effect of having taken Reclast could have on the action of Forteo on my bones. I see him in a couple of weeks so I guess I'll find out.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Starsong,
The insurance company has approved the whole two years so I plan on staying on the medication. It was 3 1/2 years in between the Forteo treatments. I didn't take any medication but might have to but there's no good choices. I can't not get dental work done and it's unrealistic for the Reclast, etc., to advertise and tell patients to go to the dentist before you start treatment when they expect patients to stay on those medications long term for years.

I'll be curious to see what your doctor says, please post about it.

Closed Thread